User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

what would it take?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would it take?

to make a mobile version of this website with just the sections and threads. with no advertising or anything that slows it down. the reason i ask is because i spend a lot of time on this forum with my cell phone and it just takes why to long too load. just an idea, i have no clue how much this would cost and how much time it would take. or if it would even be worth it
Old 11-09-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

No advertising = no forum. Any version that will draw visitors will be advertised on.

You can turn images, signatures and avatars off, that should speed things up significantly.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well how about make it so you can donate 20 bucks and you can make it the mobile version. the one that you login on a computer with will still have the advertisements but the mobile version doesnt have any advertisements on them.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried several times, even as far as giving IB the code and templates needed for a mobile version, but it has been unsuccessful. It appears that is not something they are interested in.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

o well that sucks. i get on this forum just as much on a computer as i do a cell phone. paying members should be able to do it! i would probably get on it more on my cell phone if it loaded faster
Old 11-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Banned

or what if all the sponsors websites were at the buttom and in text. everyone could still see them.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Take a look at http://www.seatstaysup.com and select the "SSU Mobile" style from the bottom. Do that on your PDA. If it works well over on SSU, we might be able to make a case for it here... Post feedback, what you like / don't like.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

i was just on ssu. and that is EXACTLY what i was talkimg about. that would be amazing if we could do that on this site! o btw im on my black jack and after checking ssu mobile its desperssing getting on this one. sorry
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

We may be able to give it a try here.

What I still need to work through is to decide whether or not to allow people to choose it, or rely on its browser detection. Once you set your browser to mobile, there's no going back to regular unless you log out and clear cookies. The browser detection "may" work good enough.

At this point, I don't see this feature as 'neglecting advertisers', because I don't think it will get used by a LOT of people. A few, yes, but not a lot. And on top of that, regular users will be here on their PCs anyway, just using their mobiles occasionally.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Truth be told, I checked it out today on my phone and it was ******* awesome. The site loaded up in about 2 seconds.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go check the styles of LS1Tech.

This may not last, it's just experimental at this point.

WARNING TO ANYONE TRYING THIS ON A PC!

Once you set your style to Mobile, there is no way to go back to the 'default' style unless you (a) have a second LS1Tech window open using the old style, leave it alone, and then when you're done, use that window to select a different non-Mobile style, and then use it again to select your original style - and close the Mobile window completely, or (b) log out / clear cookies / close browser, and then come back to the site and log back in.

This is apparently by design. Nothing I can do about that for now.

Mobile does not work on all portable devices, it depends on the browser. No guarantee, YMMV, no refunds, blah blah blah.

Quick Reply: what would it take?