User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

gif / animated avatars...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question gif / animated avatars...

Why are some members allowed to have gif, or animated avatars? I tried to upload one and was denied.

DM
Old 05-11-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The normal usergroup, which you and the vast majority of users are under, is disallowed. That's a staff decision that I cannot address. One of the Administrators can address that policy.

If there is a user that is using animated avatars, it's likely a staff (Administrator or Moderator) as that usergroup appears to have the permission. Probably could be considered a perk
Old 05-11-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JeremyT
The normal usergroup, which you and the vast majority of users are under, is disallowed. That's a staff decision that I cannot address. One of the Administrators can address that policy.

If there is a user that is using animated avatars, it's likely a staff (Administrator or Moderator) as that usergroup appears to have the permission. Probably could be considered a perk
Well I have seen a few members with avatars that are not Mods, or Admins; for one Beaflag VonRathburg. Granted they have been here longer than I have so I guess it is some kind of perk as you surmised.

DM
Old 05-11-2010, 12:39 AM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I checked the usergroups. Admins/Mods have the ability while the normal usergroup does not. The examples you provided are in the normal usergroup, but do have animated avatars. I'm going to make a guess that A)It was a policy change and those accounts still have the animated avatar - but won't be able to change it to another animated avatar or B)The Administration made an exception.

An Administrator, such as CRAGER, will probably provide some insight. Basically, the majority of users are in a usergroup that doesn't allow animated avatars so it appears to be a policy. This is nothing wrong with your account or singling out your account.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JeremyT
I checked the usergroups. Admins/Mods have the ability while the normal usergroup does not. The examples you provided are in the normal usergroup, but do have animated avatars. I'm going to make a guess that A)It was a policy change and those accounts still have the animated avatar - but won't be able to change it to another animated avatar or B)The Administration made an exception.

An Administrator, such as CRAGER, will probably provide some insight. Basically, the majority of users are in a usergroup that doesn't allow animated avatars so it appears to be a policy. This is nothing wrong with your account or singling out your account.
Nah, I was not thinking that there was an issue with my account, or I was being singled out, I was just wanting to know how the other I seen got their and to get one myself. When I first became a member, I offered to pay a membership dues, but was told that the forum did not do that, then I see the animated avatars and wondered how

Anyways, thanks for the info Bro!

DM
Old 05-11-2010, 01:40 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

We used to allow all members any file type at 100 x 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller) but now only the staff is allowed that.

~ Craig
Old 05-11-2010, 02:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRAGER
We used to allow all members any file type at 100 x 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller) but now only the staff is allowed that.

~ Craig
So the avatars I see on the non-staff members are like a "grandfathered in" kind of thing.

You guys should offer a paid members support kind of thing that allows for extra benefits like the aforementioned; I don't mind supporting my Home Community with an annual due, most are in the range of $10. Put a members pack together with some numbered members LS1Tech stickers along with other perks like an automatic 10% off on purchases that are made with the sponsors and I think it would work. Just a thought.

DM
Old 05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mine since I joined the site. When they switched over to not allowing them there was a thread about animated GIF avatars. Crager was nice enough to change it back for me instead of having the red X that used to be there. Thanks, Crager!
Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Thumbs up

Those are some cool ideas, but most people would frown on paying to be here.

I think a VBulletin update we had turned off animated avatars. Members that already had them uploaded were yes grandfathered.

I went ahead and turned them back on for Tenured Members (50+ posts and/or 6mo). File size is a file size no matter what type it is. Nobody should lag because .gif images under only 19.5 are being loaded.

Beaflag VonRathburg - No problem good sir!

~ Craig
Old 05-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

I think a VBulletin update we had turned off animated avatars. Members that already had them uploaded were yes grandfathered.

I went ahead and turned them back on for Tenured Members (50+ posts and/or 6mo). File size is a file size no matter what type it is. Nobody should lag because .gif images under only 19.5 are being loaded.

~ Craig
Hey man I will lead by example and put my money where my mouth is and be the first to offer up $10 to be a paid member! Just make my member sticker 000002

Yeah I am not new to forums, I have been an admin on a few and co-founded as well, I've also mod'ed a few car clubs in Miami, I was the KING of getting perks for our members, lol...

Thanks for showing some love and turning the animation back on; I'm sure it will add some fun to the profiles

DM
Old 05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beaflag VonRathburg
I've had mine since I joined the site. When they switched over to not allowing them there was a thread about animated GIF avatars. Crager was nice enough to change it back for me instead of having the red X that used to be there. Thanks, Crager!
That's what I figured. It was cool they let you guys keep it.

Oh and BTW, get your *** into my JAX MEET 2 thread and
put your name on the damn list this time

DM
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

~ Craig

Hey Craig,

The animation is not working

DM
Old 05-13-2010, 09:35 AM

What error does it give you?

And I'll look into it when I get home from work.

~ Craig
Old 05-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Banned

What error does it give you?

And I'll look into it when I get home from work.

~ Craig

No error, the gif just doesn't cycle.

Thanks man!

DM
Old 05-13-2010, 04:32 PM

I stayed away from my Admin powers and logged into your account making sure I was within size/file size limits and seems to work. And yes I saved your avatar:

...if you still have issues just post up the avatar you'd like to have and I'll upload it for you.

~ Craig
Old 05-13-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

I stayed away from my Admin powers and logged into your account making sure I was within size/file size limits and seems to work. And yes I saved your avatar:

...if you still have issues just post up the avatar you'd like to have and I'll upload it for you.

~ Craig
lol, I did not even notice that it was changed

Hmmm... I guess I need to downsize my gif then.

Thanks Bro!

DM
Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

Hmmm... Still not working for me

If you look at my avatar now, you see that it is not cycling through the frames.

Here is the gif:

Thanks man!

DM
Old 05-15-2010, 08:30 AM
Banned

~ Craig
Well I finally figured it out, lol... Had to resize the hell out of it because even at 95x95, the file size was too large @ 37.9KB.

Thanks again for the help Bro!

DM

Quick Reply: gif / animated avatars...