User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

paypal fees

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If people shouldn't worry about what others are doing, why do they have to make their car faster than someone else's? Why do they have to make it look better than someone else's? If they didn't, there would be no need to have this forum would there?
Old 02-12-2011, 07:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
If people shouldn't worry about what others are doing, why do they have to make their car faster than someone else's? Why do they have to make it look better than someone else's? If they didn't, there would be no need to have this forum would there?
So you only modify your car because you're worried about the speed and apperance of other cars? Would you like to have rules that disallow members to post about modifications you don't like too?

When it comes to engaging in a classifieds section transaction, you are in control. You can simply choose not to deal with someone if you don't like their payment terms or price. This "rule" would accomplish nothing, since people who want to pass the cost of this service on will just raise their initial asking price, and possibily offer a "discount" for a cash buyer. I just don't see the point of a rule that will change nothing but wording.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

People don't want to pay fees, which is why many people switch checking accounts when the bank decides to tack on a fee for a minimum balance or for other conditions. When some credit card companies stopped charging an annual fee, a lot of people switched over to a card that didn't have a fee.

My bank charges a fee for stamps, so I go to the post office to buy them since I don't pay a fee. Even if I have to burn a little more gas I'll do it because I hate paying fees if I don't have to. If someone includes the paypal fees in the price of the item(s) most people are ok with that since they know there's no additional charges.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

wHEN i SEE ITEMS FOR SALE FOR $10 to $100 with "add 3% if paying with paypal" I think what a uptight douche bag. Especially if they're listing "**** I have laying around I'd like to get rid of".
You're looking at $1.50 for a $50 item.

I agree it should not be a rule, however people should not be uptight jew bastards over announcing YOU PAY THE $1.50, just add it to the "how much shipped to 76070?".
Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You just dont get it. Never use paypal and never buy anything from anyone that wants to charge you the 3%. There are you happy now?? You are free from paypal fees. Poof.

LS1tech magic
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

So people are supposed to send cash money to someone they don't know hoping they will send the parts? Man you really are brilliant....
Old 02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gocartone
I never understood why sellers pass that fee onto the buyers after a price is agreed on. Whenever I sell stuff it's what I have it listed for; I'm not going to have someone say they will take something for $100 and tell them it's going to be $100+the fee after.
The problem is the agreed price is often 95% below the asking price. I've sold a ton of things on here. Look around and see how many people try to lowball you off the start or ask you what your, "Best price, lowest dollar, etc...?" is. Here's the typical transaction. Item is listed for $1200 + shipping.

Retard - Will you take $1000 shipped?
Seller - No, you're asking me to take a $200 hit before the cost of shipping $45, and then losing 3% on top of that to paypal. Basically, your asking for 25% off despite the fact my item is brand new and already 60% of the original price.
Retard - Never heard from again...

If someone said the first time I will take the item for the listed price of $1200 + shipping. I never charge them the 3%. It is once people start trying to lowball you from the start with huge cuts when I charge the fee. They want to seem like they're getting some great deal on the item regardless of the circumstances, but they don't realize that you may be losing tons of money on an item you only have to sell because you got laid off from your old job of three years and have to sell everything you own because you can't pay your bills. Trust me I've been there and the feeling sucks.
Originally Posted by Vmineo
If you send the money personal they wont charge there fees but You then cant dispute it if theres a problem
It charges the buyer the fee. You're still paying it with less protection.

People don't want to pay fees, which is why many people switch checking accounts when the bank decides to tack on a fee for a minimum balance or for other conditions. When some credit card companies stopped charging an annual fee, a lot of people switched over to a card that didn't have a fee.

My bank charges a fee for stamps, so I go to the post office to buy them since I don't pay a fee. Even if I have to burn a little more gas I'll do it because I hate paying fees if I don't have to. If someone includes the paypal fees in the price of the item(s) most people are ok with that since they know there's no additional charges.
The people that will spend more money not to pay fees are retarded. Idealistic garbage. You're paying more money to save money. That makes tons of sense. Retard science.

The thing is people want to pay less in general for everything. The asking price is the asking price. I've had people ask me if I'll take money off of an item I'm selling regardless of it being brand new and 15% off a sponsors shipped price. What more of a deal do you want? You're already paying less for it than you would otherwise.

There's 1 person that has replied in this thread that has any sort of trader rating. All the rest can comment down the line when they have some transactions under their belt.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not spending more money to buy stamps at the post office because it's right between my house and the bank. If I had to drive many miles out of my way I would buy the stamps at the bank and pay the fee, I'm not stupid.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just tell everyone to send the money "as a gift" and type in whatever they purchased from me in the comment box......voila, no paypal fee.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem is the buyer has no protection if they send the payment as a gift. So make sure you and everyone else reading this thread that does that tells the buyer that. Also buyer beware if you send a payment as a gift for a purchase since you're not covered if the seller doesn't send the item.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

My bank charges a fee for stamps, so I go to the post office to buy them since I don't pay a fee. Even if I have to burn a little more gas I'll do it because I hate paying fees if I don't have to.
You are free to switch banks whenever you like, if you don't like their fees/terms/prices. The same is true in this case; if you don't like they way someone structures their price, move on.

This whole thing is so simple. You are in control of what you pay. If you don't like the price, don't buy it. You are acting like someone is forcing you to do business with certain people. It's entirely up to you, same as switching banks, credit cards, etc. If the buyer is unable to find someone willing to meet their terms, then one of two things will happen.... they will be forced to keep the item, or they will have to modify their terms/price. Or, believe it or not, they may find someone willing to pay their price, even if you are not.

Frankly, this is almost as bad as forcing price regulation for used items. That will be the next step....I can see it now, "lets make a rule that nobody can ask more than $---.-- for XXX item".

If someone includes the paypal fees in the price of the item(s) most people are ok with that since they know there's no additional charges.
So all you are doing is playing games with yourself then. You're still going to pay, but it's just going to be part of the initial (higher) asking price. I still don't see the difference.

I'm not spending more money to buy stamps at the post office because it's right between my house and the bank. If I had to drive many miles out of my way I would buy the stamps at the bank and pay the fee, I'm not stupid.
Apply the same principle to this situation then. In this case, you may have to pay a bit more to add some safety to a long distance transaction that's not cost effective to do in person. Or, you can find a seller that's willing to hide the fees in their initial price, or maybe you'll find one that's just willing to eat the additional cost. Once again, the free market is a beautiful thing, because you have the power to walk away.

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
You just dont get it. Never use paypal and never buy anything from anyone that wants to charge you the 3%. There are you happy now?? You are free from paypal fees. Poof.

LS1tech magic
LOL, no kidding. I can't believe I've wasted this much time typing about something that should be so simple to understand.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by merim123
I don't get this with why people make such a big deal about paypal fees.
If its not a big deal then why start this thread? It works both ways, you say you hate it when sellers make a big deal about paypal fees, well Im sure sellers hate it when buyers make a big deal about paypal fees.

I really dont understand why its not better for everyone if the seller breaks the price down as much as possible. What would you rather have
A. 75 shipped for a part
or
B. 60+shipping and PP fees.

Because B might appeal to more people if there local or want to pay in a different type of payment. If they didnt break it down then the buyer would potentially be getting overcharged. I'd sooner have a break down then possible pay too much.

And with how much haggling that goes on here even if you see someone with a posting like B there is nothing that stops you from saying "hey would you be willing to take $70 total including shipping and fees.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dstappity
i just tell everyone to send the money "as a gift" and type in whatever they purchased from me in the comment box......voila, no paypal fee.
Yes, this is true. I had a relative send me $2000 with paypal, no fee.
But everyone will just ignore this post.

And don't bitch about buyer protection either, paypal doesn't give a **** about your money especially if you didn't buy off ebay.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't use paypal and you want have to worry about the fees.
Then the buyer will say, but what if I get rip off. Well pay the fees so you will have something to fall back on.
Paypal is good insurance for the buyer. So buyer pays the fees.
You have to have TRUST in people.
When I sell or buy from someone, I always check their trader rating and profile, to see who I'm dealing with.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

RPM what you fail to realize is that if someone is selling something it might be the only one at the time and that person wants the buyer to pay a paypal fee. Some parts are usually plentiful but some aren't. I hardly ever see any G8 parts for sale here so that's not unrealistic in my case.

As for the credit card fee sure you can switch banks but that's a hassle. Plus it hurts your credit score when you close an account, so you want to avoid doing too much of that. Maybe this isn't an issue for you but it must be for others or this thread wouldn't be here. So move along since this topic doesn't concern you.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

So now you have the right to tell someone to "move along" because you don't agree with them and obviously you think you own this website and control who can post their opinion and who can't. Dude I'm sorry but you are full of ****.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

RPM what you fail to realize is that if someone is selling something it might be the only one at the time and that person wants the buyer to pay a paypal fee. Some parts are usually plentiful but some aren't. I hardly ever see any G8 parts for sale here so that's not unrealistic in my case.

As for the credit card fee sure you can switch banks but that's a hassle. Plus it hurts your credit score when you close an account, so you want to avoid doing too much of that. Maybe this isn't an issue for you but it must be for others or this thread wouldn't be here. So move along since this topic doesn't concern you.
RedHotG8, what YOU fail to realize is the following:

1) In a free market, you don't get to choose how a seller structures their price. You do, however, get to choose where you spend your money. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you can't find enough parts on the used market to satisfy your needs, then buy new or learn to deal with people and understand the concept of compromise.

2) The LS1 Tech classifieds section is provided FREE OF CHARGE to you and other members of this site. The useage of our classifieds section is a privilege and NOT a right. Having said that, I suggest that YOU "move along" from this topic as your comments are no longer constructive and are becoming very unwelcome.

Thanks,
TECH Staff.
- RPM WS6
Old 02-13-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know the classifieds are free, I said that earlier. Which is why the seller should pay paypal fees since they can advertise their items here for free. Sellers pay paypal fees and listing/selling fees on EBay so they should pay them here too, since it states that in paypal's policy.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I know the classifieds are free, I said that earlier. Which is why the seller should pay paypal fees since they can advertise their items here for free. Sellers pay paypal fees and listing/selling fees on EBay so they should pay them here too, since it states that in paypal's policy.
1) This is not Ebay. Ebay also allows bidding on items, we do not. If you prefer Ebay's process, you have every right to limit your used purchases to Ebay. No one is forcing you to use the LS1 Tech classifieds section.

2) There are advantages to having a seller break down their price structure per item. The advantages are well outlined in this post:

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
I really dont understand why its not better for everyone if the seller breaks the price down as much as possible. What would you rather have
A. 75 shipped for a part
or
B. 60+shipping and PP fees.

Because B might appeal to more people if there local or want to pay in a different type of payment. If they didnt break it down then the buyer would potentially be getting overcharged. I'd sooner have a break down then possible pay too much.

And with how much haggling that goes on here even if you see someone with a posting like B there is nothing that stops you from saying "hey would you be willing to take $70 total including shipping and fees.
I can also see why some people want to keep things simple and handle it like this:

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I make my ads a shipped price, no bullshit anything. One price to your door. However, as its the buyers right to buy or not buy, its the seller's right to sell it for whatever price or conditions that he sees fit.
The nice thing about the current process is that all sellers and buyers have the choice to deal or not deal with people from either side of this camp. I don't see how the proposed "rule" will help, because all you will do is cause sellers that don't want to cover the fee to raise their price for everyone (see Starz T/A 17's post above), or they'll just change the wording by offering a "cash discount".

It would be a rule just for the sake of having a rule, but in reality it would change nothing. That's why this whole deal seems silly to me.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

The fees are not the problem its all of the lowballing that goes on its sickning I have been selling a ton of stuff from a car I busted up and I thought all of my prices were fair 300.00 line lock set up NIB for 145.00 shipped with paypal and got stupid offers like 100.00 shipped = box and shipping 20.00 paypal fees 3.00= 23.00 = 73.00 and let me tell you theres alot of lowballers on this site and you know who you are hey we all want to get a deal but sometimes some of the offers are just a joke ...sad but true and people want to know why somebody would burn them if it sounds to good to be true then guess what there going to screw you. the part that really sucks is the shipping and paypal fees sold a rear seat set up with the seat belts 200.00 you think I made a ton of money right 145.00 to box and ship plus paypal fees I made 49.00 for a leather seat set up, people have to under stand the cost for shipping sucks and I didnt bitch I sold the seat to the guy but I felt like I gave it away ....sorry about the rant

Quick Reply: paypal fees