User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

paypal fees

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 05:08 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Read my response and you'll see you aren't the only one.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom line is paypal's policy says the seller should pay the fee so that's the way it should be no matter where the item is sold. When a seller uses paypal to accept a payment it means that a lot more people will consider buying their item since it guarantees the buyer will receive the item. If a seller doesn't realize that they are ignorant.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The bottom line is paypal's policy says the seller should pay the fee so that's the way it should be no matter where the item is sold.
In the end, the buyer always pays all fees one way or another. Policies like this only cause sellers (private or retail) to adjust their entire price structure upwards to cover the cost (or, in the private world, offer things like a cash discount).

It's not just Paypal. When you see things like "free shipping" from a retailer, I'm sure you realize that the shipping is not actually "free". They are paying to have it shipped, and somewhere in their price structure they are taking this into account and passing the cost on to the customer. I'd rather have a retailer NOT offer free shipping, but instead have lower initial prices; that way I have the option to pick up the item in person and save money, should it be convenient for me. The same principle applies to this situation.

When a seller uses paypal to accept a payment it means that a lot more people will consider buying their item since it guarantees the buyer will receive the item. If a seller doesn't realize that they are ignorant.
I agree. You will certainly have a larger customer base if you accept Paypal. I don't sell much on this site, and when I do I don't accept Paypal and I don't ship items. I generally limit my transactions to local deals and cash payments. This does not make me ignorant, because I fully realize that I'm limiting my customer base, but this has been a non-issue for me because I've never been in a rush to sell used parts. Is that right for everyone? Obviously not, but these are personal decisions that we must make when choosing to sell an item.

If I was suddenly in a big rush to sell an item, I would have to change my selling habits. The same goes when you're buying.... if you want it right away you might have to make compromises to get it.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-13-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see some of you see the glass is half empty rather than half full as I see it, so I'm done here. Less than 1% of the people that buy my custom parts pay by cash, so if you want to be in that group by not offering paypal since you have to pay a sellers fee that's your choice. This thread was started since a lot of buyers have a problem with paying the paypal fee, so it's definitely a sore spot to many people.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:09 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I can see some of you see the glass is half empty rather than half full as I see it, so I'm done here. Less than 1% of the people that buy my custom parts pay by cash, so if you want to be in that group by not offering paypal and by paying the fee that's your choice. This thread was started since a lot of buyers have a problem with paying the paypal fee, so it's definitely a sore spot to many people.
It’s very clear to me that one of two things is happening here:

1) You want to pay less for items overall; you expect sellers to make less profit in the name of your safety/convenience.

2) You want sellers to hide their price structure/fees from you, allowing you to feel better about the transaction because all you see is the bottom line; but you don’t know exactly what you’re paying for.

If your object is #1, then you are fooling yourself. One way or another, you will pay. You may not see where/how you’re paying for it, but you’ll be paying for it somewhere in the final negotiated price that the seller agrees to. I'm sure, within your price structure, you have accounted for the cost of offering this service to your customers that you speak of, as any business would have to.

If your object is #2, then there is a simple solution. Do business only with sellers that give you a simple “out-the-door” price with no further information. Problem solved.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

It is quite silly that this is having to be explained in this much detail to him. He just doesn't get it.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What he said proved nothing. I already told it like it is.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:00 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I already told it like it is.

If that's the case, you live in a world populated only by yourself.

Enough of this already.

Quick Reply: paypal fees