User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

paypal fees

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default paypal fees

I don't get this with why people make such a big deal about paypal fees. We all basically pay a 'paypal fee' everytime we use our credit cards every day. The seller has to pay visa/mc/amex a fee for having the convenience of letting us use credit to pay for a purchase we are making at their establishment. Things may cost us slightly more and the merchant makes slightly less, but in the end we both like the convenience.

now i know we can never put a stop to it completely but- can we have a rule that says, "don't ask for paypal fees in for sale listings unless it's a material thing" material thing can be defined as $1000+ or large component, e.g. turbo system, engine, trans, car, etc... just ridiculous that people don't recognize for the small cost of 3%, you get access to the entire united states of potential buyers.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If someone is selling something and they want the buyer to pay the 3% which nets them their asking price, then so be it. If you do not want to pay the fee, then negotiate the price, or shipping cost, or just move on and find it elsewhere.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Teching In

I like Paypal because they will return your money if you purchase something from a crook,at least they have for me.I use paypal alot for big ticket items and if you send a money order and don't get your item you're out of luck.If the seller won't take paypal I find someone that does.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah the security of a paypal transaction is a big plus- sometimes the only thing that makes a deal between complete strangers possible. But yeah i do think its a little funny when people ask for paypal fees on the little things- i can understand if its dipping big into your profit on a large amount--
Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paypal won't always refund your money, just FYI
Old 02-11-2011, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Is it that you just dont like hearing you have to pay the 3%? The seller could mark the item up 10% and say he will cover the fees. Jesus why is everyone so overly critical? Its a free market, if you dont want or like the terms, there is no legal binding agreement for you to purchase. Thats the great thing about freedom. What would give you the right to tell someone how to sell their ****?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

I never understood why sellers pass that fee onto the buyers after a price is agreed on. Whenever I sell stuff it's what I have it listed for; I'm not going to have someone say they will take something for $100 and tell them it's going to be $100+the fee after.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

The point is, if their item is 100 + the fee then their asking price is 103. I dont see what the big deal here is. Its funny that every honest hard working American pays a percentage every week and you aint bitching about that.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Paypal won't always refund your money, just FYI
Very true
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Default Re

If you send the money personal they wont charge there fees but You then cant dispute it if theres a problem
Old 02-12-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

go into a store and say i want to buy this and heres my credit card. the retailer tells you sure thats gonna be plus 3%. Are you going to buy that at a actual store? hell no you wont. Do you see any online stores charging for credit cards? Kinda hard to sell stuff online without taking electronic payments and then penalizing someone for shopping with you for only one way to pay YOU. Everything you buy in the store is already marked up for the credit card fees, even gas these days because of pay at the pump. Hell cash buyers should be getting discounts everywhere. If you want a set price for something you have to take into account the costs of selling it when you price it. thats business. i know when im looking to buy something on here i skip rate over the ads that ask for paypal fees just for the point of it. Just price whatever your selling for what you want out of it in the end. pretty simple and dont come off as cheap. Plus as a seller you can actually price stuff a bit higher and clear more in the end when including the fees.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
go into a store and say i want to buy this and heres my credit card. the retailer tells you sure thats gonna be plus 3%. Are you going to buy that at a actual store?
they do that for taxes, cash or credit. here i believe its 7%

buy a can of arizona listed at 99 cents. you'll pay $1.06

and i dont bother have people cover that fee. i will however have them cover the shipping
Old 02-12-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Look either way when someone goes 200$ plus paypal i want to punch them. I dont do it bc i m not cheap, i m not looking to get rich on here selling ****. In the end just ask a little more dont throw it in my face. ^ i agree whole heartedly
Old 02-12-2011, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

I make my ads a shipped price, no bullshit anything. One price to your door. However, as its the buyers right to buy or not buy, its the seller's right to sell it for whatever price or conditions that he sees fit. Its funny how people want to push their views on other people. Let them ask for paypal and shipping separate, and I as a buyer will likely move on as well. But that doesn't mean they are wrong for trying to sell it that way, thats their business. They keep bumping their ads, and my **** sells quickly. The smartest of a species always does the best. So sleep well at night and dont worry about what someone else is doing.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The paypal fee is good insurance for the buyer. So why should the seller have to pay for the fees. I sell alot on here and the paypal fees add up quickly. I sell very good parts at resonable prices. I don't want to jack up the price for paypal included. So I think the buyer has the option of paying with paypal or not. They should pay for shipping also. When you buy from a company, you pay for the shipping. Paypal is just insurance for the buyer in my eyes.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

It also protects the seller if the buyer tries to scam them by saying they didn't receive the item. To me it's all part of selling items on the internet to someone you don't know. Sellers get free ads here so the paypal fee is a lot less than having to pay for an ad in a newspaper, so anyone adding paypal fees isn't going to get my business. I make and sell custom car parts on my website and I don't charge extra to cover the paypal fee, since they can also pay with a money order and pay the same price.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW it's against the pay pal TOS to roll their service fee's into your item's price. Obviously they can't regulate it, but the whole point is that they are trying to be clear that they want the seller paying for the service.

Either way, it boils down to just not purchasing from someone if you don't want to pay them the fee.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's a very good point and ALL sellers should follow that policy.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I make my ads a shipped price, no bullshit anything. One price to your door. However, as its the buyers right to buy or not buy, its the seller's right to sell it for whatever price or conditions that he sees fit. Its funny how people want to push their views on other people. Let them ask for paypal and shipping separate, and I as a buyer will likely move on as well. But that doesn't mean they are wrong for trying to sell it that way, thats their business. They keep bumping their ads, and my **** sells quickly. The smartest of a species always does the best. So sleep well at night and dont worry about what someone else is doing.
Yep, this post is the right idea IMO.

Too many people worried about what other people are doing. If you don't like the terms, move on. That's the nice thing about a free market. Too many people want to see rules added for every little thing they don't like. That's not the right move IMO.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would you rather pay $200 plus fees or $200 plus tax? On small items who cares about 3%? Now on the big items where fees can be $300, I can see negotiating on that. As a buyer you have the right to go pick your item up and pay cash so you don't have fees or shipping.

Quick Reply: paypal fees