User Support & Resources Account Problems | Questions | Suggestions

Search, how I long for you...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Search, how I long for you...

No, I did not mis-type the thread title, I am longing for the FULL search function.

I am full aware of the reason search is limited, and I also know how to use google. I've been wanting to ask about some kind of ETA for the return of search for a while now, but I was trying to be patient.

However, I just noticed a high-fiving, you go-girl type thread about how fast the site is moving, and it reminded me yet again of the limited search function we now have.

I'm not trying to be a dick. You can say the search is NEVER coming back and I will still use the site and support the sponsors. Its just that the mods used to take pride in telling people to use the search function. Now they tell them to use google. LS1tech is still great, but its better with the search.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

the site speed has improved in part to the search being limited. crank it back up, and the site screeches to a crawl.

shortly after the new backend is implemented, Brains should be able to run some tests and optimize the new search and get it up and running.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:39 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
shortly after the new backend is implemented
The question is time estimate on that. Haven't seen any news in months.

Originally Posted by blacksnake
I've been wanting to ask about some kind of ETA for the return of search for a while now, but I was trying to be patient.
If it's any consolation, you're not the only one.
Old 04-15-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Don't get me wrong, I want it back too. There are a few things that got disabled for mods before search was scaled back, so hopefully when all it well again they will be in full swing too.

ACW, have to talk to Brains about that one I'm sure Tiff is buggin him about wedding stuff and her car too much to work on the site, LOL.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Does the built in search work better than google? or rather, should it?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

yes it works MUCH better than google, when its working at full strength.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:03 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Yep... totally aside from the incomplete index (Google can't include all pages on a site this large), another big issue is that (unlike the search here) it includes the contents of signatures in the search. So, for example, if you're looking for threads about a particular cam, and somebody has that cam mentioned in their signature, you'll get a bunch of unrelated threads that person posted in that don't have anything to do with camshafts.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Google sucks for searching LS1tech.com. It's not an efficient way to search a site like this.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there another search engine (like Google) that is specifically designed for searching sites like this? I know there is some other type of search engine that doesn't search it's own database (like google or yahoo) but actually SEARCHES the internet. I wonder if this would work better? Does anyone know WTF I'm talking about? I only read a short blip about it.

What about an alternative way of doing signatures so the text wouldn't come up in a google-type search. Maybe make it so people can only use jpg signatures?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:05 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by kenkaru
Is there another search engine (like Google) that is specifically designed for searching sites like this? I know there is some other type of search engine that doesn't search it's own database (like google or yahoo) but actually SEARCHES the internet. I wonder if this would work better? Does anyone know WTF I'm talking about? I only read a short blip about it.
I think I get the idea of what you're asking about, but even if there were something that did that, it would totally kill this site from the constant 're-spidering'.

What about an alternative way of doing signatures so the text wouldn't come up in a google-type search. Maybe make it so people can only use jpg signatures?
Nah, we just need to get our search fixed. Yes, in theory that could help with some of the outside-search issues, but it would be impossible to implement... we've got enough problems with trying to keep signatures in the limits currently.