Notices
Vehicle Classifieds This an archive of the older vehicle classifieds, please create a new listing in our Marketplace.
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (State):

Color:

Transmission:

Drivetrain:

LS Engine?:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Part Fits:

Location (State):

Item Condition:

Engine:

LS Engine?:

SOLD!!! REAL NICE NBM 98 TA w/Heads and Cam and MORE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOLD!!! REAL NICE NBM 98 TA w/Heads and Cam and MORE!!!

Year: 1998
Make: Pontiac
Model: Trans Am
Price: $9200
Mileage: 66000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): VA
Color: Blue
Transmission: Manual
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive
LS Engine?: Car has LS engine

SOLD!!!!

Well, it's time for my family to buy a house and although I hate doing this...the TA is for sale!!! I built this car for autox, road racing, and street. Wouldn't be hard to convert for drag but why go straight only??? That's boring! This car with just the suspension upgrades placed 2nd overall last year in the BMWCCA NCC Autox X-4 class. The car also won a top ten Firebird trophy at the All Camaro-Firebird car show in Martinsburg, WV last year.

I'm asking $9,200 for it. I think it's worth $10k but I'm taking $800 off for the buyer to put a good clutch in. The car's got ~66k miles. The suspension upgrades have about 10k miles on them and the heads/cam work has about 2k miles (I know...I just put all this money into it too!) All work was done by me with some help from knowledgeable friends and professionally tuned by John Broadview out of Warrenton, VA.

The goods....
Factory LS1 Short Block w/~66k miles
PRC Stage 2.5 Ported 5.3L Heads with 2.02"/1.575" valves
Patriot Gold Dual Valve Springs .650" lift
Chromoly 7.4" Pushrods
Cam Motion Custom Grind Cam - 224/228 .595"/.578" 111LSA
GM LS2 Timing Chain
Newer Oil Pump
SLP 25% Under Drive Pulley
Flowtech Slip-on 1-3/4" Long Tube Headers Wrapped
Percy's Header Gaskets (yes this is the only gasket I will list..haha)
Custom 3" Y-pipe using Flowmaster 3"-4" Y collector reduced back to 3" with cutout
LS6 Intake Manifold
Factory Ported Throttle Body w/bumpstop, coolant bypass, knife edge, and half shaft mods
SLP Smooth Bellow
Ported MAF
SLP Air Lid
K&N Air Filter
Mike Morris Motorsports PCV Catch Can with new PCV valve and lines
GMPP Pontiac Valvecovers
Custom Relocated Coilpacks
Battery Relocated to the spare tire area
Fuse box relocated to where the air pump used to be
Air Pump removed
EGR removed
AC removed (still have components if you HAVE to have it)
Manual 2-speed Fan Switch
SLP Bilstein Road Racing Shocks
Sam Strano Performance 1.2 inch Lowering Springs
UMI Single Adjustable Poly/Rod Lower Control Arms
UMI Single Adjustable Poly/Rod Panhard Bar
UMI Performance Solid 35mm Front Sway Bar
UMI Tunnel Brace w/o DSL
BMR Strut Tower Brace
Graphite Metallic C4 Grand Sport 17"x9.5" wheels with Kuhmo Ecsta XS 285/40-17's
Doors DeMolded and Debadged
Infinity Reference speakers in the front
Audiobahn speakers in the rear
Motivative Performance Solid Motor Mounts
Heavy duty Polyurethane Transmission Mount
Power Tower Pro 5.0 Short throw shifter w/ Lou's Short Stick
- The solid motor mount with poly tranny mount along with the Pro 5.0 and LSS makes shifting the sweetest thing ever! I love this setup!!! I've spent tons of money on all sorts of stuff, but I'm always telling people to check out the shifter!!!

The bad...
The clutch. It's stock. I'm still driving it daily and it works great, but it can't handle the power made in the upper rpm's with all the new upgrades so you'll want to put in an upgraded one.
Passenger headlight motor gear needs to be turned 180 or replaced FIXED!!!
Passenger window motor needs to be replaced (I already have the motor and may have it fixed here soon anyways, but listing it anyway) FIXED!!!

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I think that about sums it up. I live in Winchester but work in Chantilly and can meet up with ya if needed. One other thing, the buyer needs to pay with a check of some kind. I'm buying a house and talking to my broker if I made a big cash deposit it would look VERY bad and hurt us. So a check, cashiers check, bank check, whatever is needed and must clear before I hand you the title. Oh yeah, I have the title so no worries there either.

Hit me up @ 540-327-2454
or ken.leatch@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ken

Here's a few pics...

This was just last week...

Paint's in great shape...

Last edited by 98_TA_EMLC; 07-28-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: fixed a couple things
Old 07-01-2011, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still running the stock rear?
Old 07-01-2011, 07:42 PM
Launching!

Yeah still stock 3.42 gears and 10 bolt. I took the cover off to change the fluids and the gears were in great condition...no shavings at all! I put royal purple in with the gm additive and haven't had a single problem. I don't ever launch hard in autox so never needed to upgrade.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:09 AM

why would you not take cash? your not going to give the house your buying a cashier check from the buyer anyway. Why dont you take cash and just make out a cashier check to the house you buy. I would never give someone a check and go home and wait 3 days for it to clear with no car or title at my house.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Launching!

I'm with you...i'd rather just deal with cash. I'll ask my broker to see if paying the downpayment with cash is a viable option.

Also...I fixed the passenger window motor tonight. It was so easy I wish I had done it a year ago!
Old 07-04-2011, 01:54 AM
Launching!

Also just fixed the headlight motor!
Old 07-04-2011, 02:26 AM
Launching!

Here's a quick engine bay pic I took on my cell while fixing the window and headlight motors tonight...

Note the Pontiac Valve Covers which I really like. Yes I mounted the coilpacks on the front upper support. I like them there...hadn't seen anyone else do that yet. Plan was to relocate the PCM and Fusebox into the dash and move the ABS down to where the air pump used to be...then maybe move the coilpacks down onto the frame rails and make a shield from water. That'll REALLY clean up everything. So there's some ideas for the next guy to really take this engine bay to the next level!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM

PM a zip code so i can find out how far we are apart?
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Launching!

I'm in winchester va and work in chantilly. Winchester is 22602 and chantilly is 20120
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Ttt...
Old 07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Launching!

Bumping up....a real nice clean lower mileage car here for a VERY reasonable price. I'm realistic, not greedy. I see other people asking $15k for the same year car with a little less miles but in stock form...come on. No this isn't a WS6 but it'll kick a WS6's butt all day on the road. Come buy this thing guys...I need to buy a house!!!
Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

bump and good luck for ya! I was in the same spot just this winter, but trying to sell a motorcycle in the middle of winter. Finally got everything done in January and closed in feb. Just hold tight, its 100% worth it all
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Launching!

thanks man...I appreciate the support. All my buddies wanna kill me but in the end it's just a car. A home for my family is much more important. I may have someone buying it tomorrow outta MD. Sucky thing is I may have to drive it out there and catch a ride back...but we'll see what happens.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Launching!

ttt....
Old 07-16-2011, 03:05 AM
Launching!

ttt...price lowered $1!!!...hahaa..now you can have a car and a double cheeseburger from McD's!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW!!! Love what you did with the coil packs, very original and different thx for the idea. GLWS
Old 07-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Launching!

Thanks man...gotta relocate battery and fusebox for that location...it'd be cake to make a cover too. If I were keeping the car i'd make a box sheild for it with rubber grommets for where the wires would go and mount it down on the frame so it'd be less visible. Initially I wanted to ount them there but was concerned about being that low and water being on them heavily...but then later I thought about the shield idea and wished I had done exactly that. Oh well...maybe on the next car...I'm digging Bad Penny's setup with the 454 ls2 though. One of my favorite engine bay
Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
Launching!

ttt...

A guy may be buying it this weekend so if you want it, you may wanna hurry!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Launching!

So guy wanted to buy the car, and it was easier for me to deliver a few hours away. On the way down I had an electrical short which blew my main 200 Amp fuse from the battery (cause was the 40 A IP/2 fuse didn't blow....don't ask me why) and after figuring out the problem we noticed a noise coming from the motor...yeah it was knocking and squealing. I towed the car home and ended up pulling the motor and tearing it down to find a spun rod bearing. Well that guy came up and bought the car while it was in peices and I just picked up a new shortblock with less miles with ARP rod bolts and will put that in along with the new clutch the buyer just got. In the end the car will be better than before...but I'm out a lot of money.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah....

SOLD!!!!