Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

My fun winter break project (rear cover/seal)

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My fun winter break project (rear cover/seal)

The back cover thread holes got stripped when I was doing the cam and I had a leak that bugged the crap out of me. I figured I'd swap the cover and rear main seal while I'm back there. So I started working on the car by myself. Not too bad other than the transmission stuck on my crotch for a few secs. I think putting everything back on by myself might be a bitch!

They say you can't do it by yourself on jackstands...... I surprised myself.

here is the messy leak.

[img][/img]

I have to put the new cover on I had to make sure the one I got with part # 12559287 is the same I took off my car with part #12556105-Rear main cover.

Last edited by Wicked_muscle; 12-18-2008 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

nice work moe, way to get in their and get dirty
Old 12-18-2008, 02:55 PM
11 Second Club

im on vacation from work, i got my own little project going as well
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
nice work moe, way to get in their and get dirty
I'm on my winter break from school and keeps me busy since I'm not working. Sad I can't drive my baby though.

Originally Posted by camarojunky74
im on vacation from work, i got my own little project going as well
What are you working on or is it a secret?
Old 12-18-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

BITCH! I was there for moral support! LOL. I'll help you put the damn thing back in.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:24 PM
Staging Lane

give me a call if you need help moe, im tired of staying home and beating the monkey!lol
Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

i did the oil pan gasket/rear main and resealed the trans (auto) at one time in the driveway on jackstands!
Old 12-18-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

i wouldnt throw away the old cover... you can helicoil or even time sert it, for a thread that is a lot stronger than from the factory...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pweterss
give me a call if you need help moe, im tired of staying home and beating the monkey!lol
I'll give you a call if I need help tomorrow beating the monkey....I mean putting the transmission. That is if my idea of putting it on my chest and sliding under the car as I did to take it out doesn't work.

Originally Posted by yrlosing
i did the oil pan gasket/rear main and resealed the trans (auto) at one time in the driveway on jackstands!
Is it easier for an auto since there is less **** to remove? My garage is much warmer than a drive way. Too cold outside!

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
i wouldnt throw away the old cover... you can helicoil or even time sert it, for a thread that is a lot stronger than from the factory...
I already bought another one and installed it. Just waiting to put the transmission and driveshaft in there tomorrow. Didn't want to do a quick fix and hope it works out. time sert it???
Old 12-19-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

well a helicoil isnt exactly a quick fix...you can actually consider it an upgrade over the factory threads in the casting...

a time sert is similar to a helicoil in the sense that you must remove any remaining damaged threads and retap the hole...helicoil is a coil insert that is threaded into the newly tapped bolt hole...the time sert takes it a step further...it is actually a inserted sleeve with a lip and unfinished threads...after removing the rest of the old damaged thread you use a provided tool to engrave a radiused step down below the deck surface...now you tap the bolt hole and thread the insert down into the hole with the provided tool until the lip rests on the engraved step down.....once the lip is sitting in the step down, you have reached the end of the unfinised thread...keep turning it until the tool finishes the thread and locks the insert in place in two locations...the lip on the step down and finishing the unfinished threads slightly mushrooms the bottom of the insert locking it in place on both the top and bottom...
the time sert is definitely a stronger insert, and i will usually use them in bolt holes that must endure a high torque load....head bolts and tranny usually...i will use a helicoil for everything else...before i knew about time serts i used to even helicoil stripped head bolt holes in honda engines i used to build....torqued to 75 lb ft they alwas held fine...the time sert is just added security for not that much more labor time....time sert is about twice the cost of a helicoil...
Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 AM
Launching!

I know helicoils are pretty good but I was in there so I said hell with it and I got the new cover for a good price. Well I'm gonna clean up my cover that I took out and probably find out where to get the parts for the time sert to fix it and have it just in case this happens again. Hopefully it doesn't. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

the only place i know of that deals time sert around here is flanders in pasadena...they are a motorcycle parts manufacturer and have a wide assortment there... i believe there is another place in torrance but youd have to look on their website to be for sure...
if your gonna repair it just to have a spare id just use a helicoil...one time sert kit with all the bits and five inserts is almost 60 bucks retail.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:33 AM
Launching!

You're right too much money for that. Heli-coil it is. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
The back cover thread holes got stripped when I was doing the cam and I had a leak that bugged the crap out of me.
How did you get the rear cover gasket messed up when doing a cam install? Not being a dick just really curious.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by haighter
How did you get the rear cover gasket messed up when doing a cam install? Not being a dick just really curious.
Oh no prob. It didn't mess up the gasket. I had to drop the pan to change to an ls6 oil pump when I was doing the cam. When tightening the back bolts the threads got stripped or they were hanging by a thread beforehand. Then the leaking began.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Oh no prob. It didn't mess up the gasket. I had to drop the pan to change to an ls6 oil pump when I was doing the cam. When tightening the back bolts the threads got stripped or they were hanging by a thread beforehand. Then the leaking began.
******* up man i mean i know you were excited to start the bitch up but take your time so you dont have to do more projects.

at least it didnt leak as much as a SBC haha..
Old 12-19-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice work man, hopefully you'll be leak free after this.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Launching!

If you still have that leak make sure to check your oil pan gasket. I have had a few of them split on me and it will look like a rear gasket seal or something. Sometimes when you go to do the oil pump that way, part of the seal wants to stay on the bock and the other on the pan. When you let it down it will tear. The other thing is stuff can get in between the pan and gasket and wont let it seal.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:23 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you still have that leak make sure to check your oil pan gasket. I have had a few of them split on me and it will look like a rear gasket seal or something. Sometimes when you go to do the oil pump that way, part of the seal wants to stay on the bock and the other on the pan. When you let it down it will tear. The other thing is stuff can get in between the pan and gasket and wont let it seal.
shut up cj you dont know what your talking about
Old 12-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Launching!

The oil was always looking like it's coming from the back of the oil pan even just sitting in the garage so far it looks dry.

Quick Reply: My fun winter break project (rear cover/seal)