Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any AZ Members Been Hassled for Lic. Plates/Covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Any AZ Members Been Hassled for Lic. Plates/Covers?

An email from work today:

This morning we had a visit from Arizona Department of Transportation at one of our buildings. The officer was on property searching for expired plate tags and out of state plates. I spoke with the officer directly and asked why he was on our property looking for such vehicles.
He informed me that over the past few months, he has personally written nearly 400 warnings (not tickets) for these violations. The Department of Transportation is cracking down on residents who do not register their vehicles with the State of Arizona.

Attached is a copy of the Arizona Registration Requirements. Please take a moment to read the attached information and if you are in violation, we strongly suggest you take care of your registration as soon as possible. ADOT will not be issuing warnings much longer, soon they will be issuing "tickets".

Additionally, Officer Lee asked that I remind all of our staff that a new law is now in effect regarding license plate holders. If any part of "ARIZONA" is covered by your plate holder, you are in violation of the law and could be issued a ticket which runs approximately $150.00.

In closing, I would like to clarify that although may of us may not like ADOT coming through our parking lots, they have every right to do so and
there is nothing we can do to prevent it. In return of our support, we
have been allowed a grace period to allow our employees to take care of these issues prior to receiving actual tickets.

Thank you for your cooperation.
In short, cops are patrolling parking lots looking for people with licence plate frames that cover the 'ARIZONA' on the plate, as well as out-of-state plates. Wild, eh?

The new frame law must be to aid all the speed cameras in the PHX area (to prove it's an AZ car from the 'ARIZONA' on the plate). Luckily my Nova is registered in my dad's name back home, so no emissions. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. They'll probably have a hayday this weekend, with all the out-of-state B-J cars. lol
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My T/A already had a compliant frame, so no hassles there. But my Astre, and my S10 don't have proper frames, so I'll have to change them out. Not worth the argument since it sounds like the law states that they can issue a ticket 1st time, with no warning. For a minute I was gonna call them ******... but then again they are enforcing the laws on the books. It's the politicians that suck.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

I don't have a frame on mine which avoids the problem completely.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

wow that's pretty gay
Old 01-07-2009, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

I just heard about this a couple days ago also. Though personally do not know of anyone who has gotten such ticket for a license plate frame. Stupid law to me but it did get passed somehow.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Arizona is stupid as ****. This is purely another revenue stream basically.

I heard about this from a law professor and also saw it in the paper the other day.

It's not like they made some huge public service announcement, so throwing someone a $130 on some trivial bullshit doesn't seem likely. I'd say you'd get warnings before they start actually ticketing.

I took my cover off to just avoid the problem completely.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

I don't get it. If the license plate has a picture of a cactus on it and it says "The Grand Canyon State" on it and you still don't know what state it is from then having "Arizona" written on it probably isn't going to be of much help to you.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hookemdevils22
Luckily my Nova is registered in my dad's name back home, so no emissions.
There's no emissions needed anyway. If you have classic insurance and it's not your primary vehicle then can can file to be emissions exempt. I've got it on all of my cars except the '01 (it's too new)

The bullshit plate cover bill passed when they approved all of the new plate designs. Bastards snuck that one thru.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No personal experience but I believe some company makes a translucent plate cover that blurs the photo the speed cameras take, yet looks 99% normal to our eyes.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninetres
No personal experience but I believe some company makes a translucent plate cover that blurs the photo the speed cameras take, yet looks 99% normal to our eyes.
You don't say?

lol @ this dude not even reading the thread.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya there are other ways to get aroung traffic camera tickets.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:14 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Finite1
You don't say?

lol @ this dude not even reading the thread.
edit.................
Old 01-07-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

edit.................
They made it ticketable ($150) for having a license plate frame that covers the Arizona at the top of the plate.

So, for instance, I used to have a chrome dealer frame from the dealership when I got my car, I took it off.

I've also seen multiple places that sell those photo-blocking plates. There's a spray also.. It looks pretty good in the pictures.. I'd probably test it out first with a personal camera.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 180ls1
Such as?

1. False plates
2. Some James Bond / Transporter flip ****
3. Do 160+ mph and they can't get you
4. No plates
5. The spray / cover thing to block photo
6. Don't speed

Is there anything I'm missing?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Such as?

1. False plates
2. Some James Bond / Transporter flip ****
3. Do 160+ mph and they can't get you
4. No plates
5. The spray / cover thing to block photo
6. Don't speed

Is there anything I'm missing?
I had a friend and he asked to see the accuser (which was his right) and when the accuser was not present his ticket was dismissed.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a friend and he asked to see the accuser (which was his right) and when the accuser was not present his ticket was dismissed.
That makes zero sense.

Isn't that why they take pictures of the driver, the plates and associate a speed to the car. To avoid this situation? Doesn't that basically prove their case?

I call BS.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

That makes zero sense.

Isn't that why they take pictures of the driver, the plates and associate a speed to the car. To avoid this situation? Doesn't that basically prove their case?

I call BS.
the accuser was the camera light and it was not present so he was not ticketed.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:19 PM
9 Second Club

the accuser was the camera light and it was not present so he was not ticketed.
Gotta love loop holes. You just have to be sure you have a cool judge who just doesn't give you the shaft anyway.

Same "ideology" as how I had my street racing charge dismissed. The police didn't go after the other guy so in court it makes it tough (impossible) to prove you were actually racing anyone.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

If your on a bike ride down the white line when you roll through the cameras. Have yet to have a problem with speed cameras.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by muscle96ss
I don't get it. If the license plate has a picture of a cactus on it and it says "The Grand Canyon State" on it and you still don't know what state it is from then having "Arizona" written on it probably isn't going to be of much help to you.
+1 Probably so noone can claim 'ARIZONA' wasn't present to get it thrown out of court.

I went to driving school, and about 3/4 of the people there were there for the cameras. The guy said you don't get points (and therefore your insurance doesn't go up), so they were wasting their time/money/opportunity to get points removed by being there. And he also gave us some pointers to get the camera tickets thrown out. That 'accuser-not-present' thing does work, as with having to be served in person (or someone at the house over 16 I think).