Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ok now im getting pissed the f*** off HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

k so i followed the cables off my battery. 1 set went to the fans i beleive. the other set led me to this....

i couldnt get any closer or see any further in but why the **** would DUCT tape b there? guess they "fixed" this problem. whoever had the car b4 me really didnt take care of the car.

on another not. is there any reason grease or oil or watever that is would b drippin from my alternator?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

do you have a power steering leak? that is right over the alternator and could be causing it to die? looks like there is some fluid on there
Old 01-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hlaalu
do you have a power steering leak? that is right over the alternator and could be causing it to die? looks like there is some fluid on there
yea theres for sure fluid there. i jus dont know where its coming from. ill have that checked. im taking it to a shop tomorrow to get it looked at. hopefully they dont find too much **** wrong. my power steering has been screwy for awhile.

p.s. would a power steering leak require new parts? or is it something that can be sealed easily like an exhaust leak. and if it does , how much are we talking if you kno
Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That should be aluminum tape and it acts as a heat shield for the wires, did you make sure the wires are tight on the starter?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
That should be aluminum tape and it acts as a heat shield for the wires, did you make sure the wires are tight on the starter?
I cant fit my hand or nething else up there to try and see
Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by yungepjr
yea theres for sure fluid there. i jus dont know where its coming from. ill have that checked. im taking it to a shop tomorrow to get it looked at. hopefully they dont find too much **** wrong. my power steering has been screwy for awhile.

p.s. would a power steering leak require new parts? or is it something that can be sealed easily like an exhaust leak. and if it does , how much are we talking if you kno
im 99% sure that fluid on your alt is your power steering leaking. happened to me, and killed one of my alts. check the reservoir and the hoses, and how is the fluid level? is it low?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant fit my hand or nething else up there to try and see
Id check that leak out for sure, but if the problem persists maybe try replacing the cables.

Do you have a voltmeter by any chance? You can pick up a cheap one and it would help you diagnose the problem. While its running you can put grond the black and put the red on the R terminal of the alt and it will tell you the output voltage, should be around 14 volts. You can also put it on the battery right after the car is shut off to tell if the voltage is being drained.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Id check that leak out for sure, but if the problem persists maybe try replacing the cables.

Do you have a voltmeter by any chance? You can pick up a cheap one and it would help you diagnose the problem. While its running you can put grond the black and put the red on the R terminal of the alt and it will tell you the output voltage, should be around 14 volts. You can also put it on the battery right after the car is shut off to tell if the voltage is being drained.
they used a voltmeter at autozone. i think? they said the alternator was pumpin out 56 amps? but the battery was only 11.01 volts and it kept goin down. im taking it to a shop tomorrow and tellin them wat i think is wrong. and have them look at it. i hope that power steering leak dont cost me hella money.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

they used a voltmeter at autozone. i think? they said the alternator was pumpin out 56 amps? but the battery was only 11.01 volts and it kept goin down. im taking it to a shop tomorrow and tellin them wat i think is wrong. and have them look at it. i hope that power steering leak dont cost me hella money.
be prepared, they will probably tell you to get a whole new power steering pump and res.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
Teching In

going through the same thing right now. Just need to get the high press line off. what a pain.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

well i finally said **** it. and put it in the shop today. they gonna charge me 145 JUST TO SEE WATS WRONG. then im assuming another ****** million bucks to actually fix it. hopefully its not too bad. so my ***** gonna b sitting in the shop till i can find the money to get it out. GAY. but hey i got a job today at least lol
Old 01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

well the verdicts in. 600 ****** bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn. the power steering pump WAS leaking on the alternator. they said they check all my wires and they were fine. so for LABOR, install of the power steering pump, and to recharge my battery...is gonna b 600. thats rediculous
Old 01-20-2009, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You should get to know the guys at Norcal-LSX or anyone else in your area, they might be able to help out once in a while with installs/repairs... I got sick of paying mechanics to do simple (but time-consuming) labor, so I've been learning how to do this stuff with help from other locals.

Last edited by ZexGX; 01-20-2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get one from napa life time warranty
Old 01-20-2009, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

well the verdicts in. 600 ****** bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn. the power steering pump WAS leaking on the alternator. they said they check all my wires and they were fine. so for LABOR, install of the power steering pump, and to recharge my battery...is gonna b 600. thats rediculous

Interesting, I've been having intermittent starting issues. Replaced the battery after it tested bad at AZ. I still have the intermittant problem and it appears that every now and then my alt isnt fully charging. I did notice this past weekend that my power steering pump had leaked around the cap and was all over the pulley.

I miss my old IROC, where I could take the alternator apart (everything was screwed together. If a regulator or diode went bad, you could buy just that piece for a few bucks and be back in business.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

basically the guy is about to get the clothes sued off his back. he sold me a warranty for 1600 that he added to the price of the car. i never got my warranty and he never sent the papers in. the bank REFUSES to do anything about it unless i get my car repossessed which im not going to let happen. so now i gotta go all the way to a sacramento court and sue his punk ***. and i guess the bank is getting sued too. ive shelled out over 3000 dollars just to keep the car RUNNING. so im gonna get my warranty. and my money back. and hes gonna get his lil dealership shut the f*** down.

his names MANNY. sometimes his cousin is with him ALI.
hes located rite outside of sacramento in a city called roseville. the name of his place is COST U LESS CARS. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HIM! he posts adds on craigslist frequently so if u seen " ask for manny" DONT. hes a fraud.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

basically the guy is about to get the clothes sued off his back. he sold me a warranty for 1600 that he added to the price of the car. i never got my warranty and he never sent the papers in. the bank REFUSES to do anything about it unless i get my car repossessed which im not going to let happen. so now i gotta go all the way to a sacramento court and sue his punk ***. and i guess the bank is getting sued too. ive shelled out over 3000 dollars just to keep the car RUNNING. so im gonna get my warranty. and my money back. and hes gonna get his lil dealership shut the f*** down.

his names MANNY. sometimes his cousin is with him ALI.
hes located rite outside of sacramento in a city called roseville. the name of his place is COST U LESS CARS. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM HIM! he posts adds on craigslist frequently so if u seen " ask for manny" DONT. hes a fraud.
damn that is weak. you have copies of all the warranty paper work and receipts i assume?
Old 01-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

damn that is weak. you have copies of all the warranty paper work and receipts i assume?
yes. i have every peice of documentaion. i hate the paper saying he tacked on 1600 for a warranty to bring the total of the car to 14000. i have every peice of paper. this is NUTS.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

yes. i have every peice of documentaion. i hate the paper saying he tacked on 1600 for a warranty to bring the total of the car to 14000. i have every peice of paper. this is NUTS.
nice dude, that should be a quick case. you should be able to file a claim through the mail and then you just have to drive down there for the actual court date.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

nice dude, that should be a quick case. you should be able to file a claim through the mail and then you just have to drive down there for the actual court date.
im hoping it is. this **** is so stupid. all he had to do was send in some papers. now hes gonna have to come outta his pocket 3+ grand.

Quick Reply: Ok now im getting pissed the f*** off HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!