Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

My ride is way to harsh

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My ride is way to harsh

Looking for some ideas on my suspension. I seem to be at a lose. I have a 2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 that I have installed Hotchkis Springs, Tokico Struts & Shocks, Edelbrock Adjustable panhard bar, & tubular rear control arms (non adjustable). I am also running 275/35/18 tires. My ride is very harsh on almost any surface (it only rides smooth on the perfect road). There is a lot of creaking sounds coming from the rear of the car. Driving over railroad tracks is like I have no suspension at all. It is so bad that the guy I was car pooling with won't ride with me because of the harsh ride. It's even gotten to the point that my girlfriend also doesn't want to take my car anywhere. Any ideas???

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1233104498
Attached Thumbnails My ride is way to harsh-detailed-front.jpg  
Old 01-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Well, lowering-springs and low-profile tires will do that to the ride.

On the other hand, have you compared yours to similarly equipped F-bodys?
Also, are your tokico shocks matched to the Hotchkis springs? If they're tuned for a higher spring-rate, you'd get a pretty uncomfortable ride.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Lightbulb

Swap all of you suspension mods for my stock stuff...
Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I have knoi sa shocks up front
Bilstein 3rd gen shocks in the rear.
With a 35mm front sway bar I could toss the car into turns and it was flat.
Overall a great ride and not so harsh.
I changed the front bar to a 32mm to get a little smoother ride and while I did get back some sway, it still handles great with the front shocks turned up a little. Got the shocks from Sam Strano, I know he has his own line of springs too.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
TECH Regular

The most important thing to do is check your tire pressure. I know it sounds silly, but most people have incorrect tire pressure and will cause a ****-LIKE ride. For your setup, I'd try getting the front tires to 32psi and rears to 30psi.

When I got my tires put on my car, the guys at the tire shop put 40psi in my fronts and 35-37 in my rears. It felt like I was driving on no tires! Super rough ride, any bump hurt my back! I got home, adjusted to 32 front 30 rear and it was like driving a new car Give it a try and let us know!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for the noise over bumps coming from the rear, how tight are those lcas? Did you use an impact? I used a wrench on mine and obviously had them too tight because they made noise even though I greased them(do you grease them?). When I switched to my rod ended lcas it got alot quieter.

If you want your car to ride better first thing is the bigger the wheel the more harsh the ride. As for your shocks and springs give Sam Strano a call and see what he reccomends.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

just trade me cars, my stock height z rides like stock haha
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
The most important thing to do is check your tire pressure. I know it sounds silly, but most people have incorrect tire pressure and will cause a ****-LIKE ride. For your setup, I'd try getting the front tires to 32psi and rears to 30psi.

When I got my tires put on my car, the guys at the tire shop put 40psi in my fronts and 35-37 in my rears. It felt like I was driving on no tires! Super rough ride, any bump hurt my back! I got home, adjusted to 32 front 30 rear and it was like driving a new car Give it a try and let us know!
Yeah that's what I run my tire pressure at 32frt, 30rr. Tire pressure makes a bigger differance than you might think! Also if you still have rear bumpstop spacers on the rear, take them off!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
Teching In

I did realize the the suspension mods + less sidewall would create a firm ride. My ride is not firm, it is HARSH. I had a solid, no rattle car before the mods. Now the car sounds like it is coming apart.

I was going to shave down the rear bump stops down a little, & lower the tire pressure (currently at 35 psi).
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not sure how the hotchkis springs are but I went from eibachs to stranos and it made a huge difference, and I havent even changed the front springs or the shocks, just the rear springs.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

you could be hitting the bump stops causing your "harsh" ride try taking out the aluminum spacer and see if this helps.

I was definately hitting the bump stops on my car all the time after I lowered it and because of the bigger axle tubes of my 9", so this may help your problem. also like stated above Poly-Poly LCAs usually squeek if not greased and sometimes even then they do, make sure your tightening things down with a torque wrench to curb this situation most of the time

also not sure on how much of a difference a passenger would feel, but after you lowered the rear did you re-center it, by adjusting your panhard bar? this could also be causing the rear to jump during turns a little too much
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 PM
FormerVendor

blue tokikos or the white ones?
Old 01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowpoke310@APF
blue tokikos or the white ones?
Blue.

I did have the rear end centered using the adjustable panhard bar. In fact the rear end was replaced since the suspension was done, and reinstalled and aligned.

Thanks everybody for the ideas. I am checking out everything you guys are suggesting.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Most likely the struts can not handle the lowered ride. I know you have read that koni sa's are the recommended struts for a lowered car. I am on hotchkis springs, actually the entire hotchkis suspension set up and koni's and the ride is just fine.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1

Swap all of you suspension mods for my stock stuff...
you might want to seriously consider this.

at least get stock springs and put something like bilstein hd shocks on. that should give better handling than stock and get rid of the floating feeling.

your tires aren't helping either. i've got 275/40/17 falken azenis rt615's and they're making the ride too harsh even at the recommended 26psi. its probably the reinforced sidewall that's killing me, though. 275/35/18 at 35psi must be pretty bad. try contacting the tire manufacturer (email off their website) and asking what pressure they recommend.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I had a harsh ride too after lowering, lca re-lo brackets cured mine, much smoother ride now. Must have had something to do with the lca angle after lowering. No wheel hop now either.

Quick Reply: My ride is way to harsh