Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
You will have to fall on your sword and admit that the mods were done after being smogged.
I've considered that path but a complete motor swap and custom fabbed exhaust done after being smogged? That sounds like a huge stretch. I'd REALLY prefer to find an easier story to follow or "out" that I can have.

I'm not trying to argue anyone's suggestions here, just trying to express my concern for finding a route that won't cause more trouble than necessary. If I/we can't come up with something, then I won't even bother with it.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

In the meantime, I would keep it registered in VA, and bring it out here. If stopped, come up with a story (just moved out here, only visiting relatives, etc.).
But they'll be able to look up when I got my CA license and see how long I've had it.

Even if I did keep it registered in VA under someone else's name, insurance would NOT go for that and insure it knowing it's out here. I've yet to have anything happen to it but it would certainly be my luck to have those waters tested should I take that chance. The last thing I need is for me or my relative to be dropped from a policy just b/c I wanted my camaro out here.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
But they'll be able to look up when I got my CA license and see how long I've had it.

Even if I did keep it registered in VA under someone else's name, insurance would NOT go for that and insure it knowing it's out here. I've yet to have anything happen to it but it would certainly be my luck to have those waters tested should I take that chance. The last thing I need is for me or my relative to be dropped from a policy just b/c I wanted my camaro out here.
I just noticed where you said you no longer had a VA license.

I personally wouldn't register it in someone else's name, but I would drive on it as long as I could with VA plates.

I've considered that path but a complete motor swap and custom fabbed exhaust done after being smogged? That sounds like a huge stretch. I'd REALLY prefer to find an easier story to follow or "out" that I can have.

I'm not trying to argue anyone's suggestions here, just trying to express my concern for finding a route that won't cause more trouble than necessary. If I/we can't come up with something, then I won't even bother with it.
How would a cop who pulled you over know that?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I just noticed where you said you no longer had a VA license.

I personally wouldn't register it in someone else's name, but I would drive on it as long as I could with VA plates.

How would a cop who pulled you over know that?
Well yea, motor swap, impossible to tell but there's no mistaking the rabid animal that is in the car now for a stock engine with just a few mods. Looking under the car you can see the tiny, high flow cat that and 3" piping that sits 2" off the ground. You can't even fit your hand under it flat. There is no mistaking this for stock exhaust.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:45 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you were moving to socal I could have hooked you up with a smog test. Got several friends driving around with illegal cars.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Twould be nice.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

To my understanding, in order to consistently operate a vehicle as a CA resident, it must be registered in CA. Therefore, it doesn't matter where it was last registered. If you're a resident here and driving the car on CA roads, you must title it as a CA car, thus paying the taxes toward the roadways you are operating on.
What they dont know wont hurt them
Old 02-15-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

And when they find out, they want to hurt you.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

its not as bad as you put it to be
Old 02-15-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know it's not usually as bad as I'm saying. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate as much as possible to determine worst case scenarios here since it's a hell of a lot of money to transport it out here in an enclosed trailer 3000 miles across the US.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Launching!

There's a couple smog friendly places here in the bay area. I dd mine with long tubes no cats and a lm redonator. Rest of the mods are in my sig. I've been pulled over quite a lot but I've been lucky enough to have cool cops give me warnings or a fix it ticket for my tint.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you worrying a little too much, just bring the ride out here
Old 02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, let me pose this question to everyone then. Considering it is going to cost roughly $1500 just to get the car out here, would you do it considering the risks involved? I've put $8k into the engine and internal/exhaust mods. The last thing I need is for that to be a paperweight in my garage.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You could always just register it as non-op and turn it into a track-event trailer queen. Assuming you have a towing setup. If not...
Old 02-16-2009, 12:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Ok, let me pose this question to everyone then. Considering it is going to cost roughly $1500 just to get the car out here, would you do it considering the risks involved? I've put $8k into the engine and internal/exhaust mods. The last thing I need is for that to be a paperweight in my garage.
yes i would, i have three cars that are just as or more "shady" as yours
Old 02-16-2009, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

I think you worry to much just bring it out here. most of us here dont pass smog everyday only the day we take the test
Old 02-16-2009, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

I am in the same situation with my Firebird. I live in south orange county and with it being as populated as it is I think a 15:1cr 421ci w/ a solid roller would get a little too much attention. If it was just a H/C car I think I could tame it down with some cats and a good muffler. I did call CMS so if I decide to bring the car out here I can find fuel but I just don't know what I would do with it if I couldn't even drive it to a car show or two a year.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:38 AM
FormerVendor

Artic, check with norcalls1.com they have plenty of cars like your and can point you to a smog shop. We all deal with the situation you are talking about and we all manage.
If it is not your DD then I really would not worry about it.

KC same thing, smog is an issue that can be overcome. Law enforcement rarely knows much about modded cars, at most you get a modified exhaust ticket and you usually get those if you are hanging where they are targeting street ricers.

Here in socal though you can fight every ticket by written declaration, cops do not care for extra paperwork.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it's not usually as bad as I'm saying. I'm just trying to play devil's advocate as much as possible to determine worst case scenarios here since it's a hell of a lot of money to transport it out here in an enclosed trailer 3000 miles across the US.
are you in the military by chance??
cause if you are that is your loop hole
if your in the military you can have a vechical register in one state and live in another
because they consider the state your living in to just be a temporary resident
i have a few freinds that do this

if not just get a friendly smog (there not hard to find) and drive your car
they are only going to **** with you about mods if your doing something really stupid(like 150+ mph) or you have an attitude with them
ive been pulled over many times with only a ory on the car and NO mufflers or cats and never been hassled by the pigs about it
Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well, this is making me feel a little better, guys. I really appreciate all of your insight and suggestions. Maybe come spring time you will see me a little more involved on the board here again and showing up to some get-togethers with my ride.

Quick Reply: Worth it to ship my heavily modified 408 Z from VA to CA?