Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Oldy but goody vid. Me > cop

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Can you please point me to the vehicle code where it states otherwise? Not being a "whiny bitch", I'd just like to learn. It'd be nice to know so I can inform my Uncle of the FPD, the Sargent of the KCSD, and my attorney who specializes in traffic citations and happens to be a 20+ year veteran of the CHP.
If its anything like texas wires cant be exposed
but that doesnt happen with 2/32 of tread
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you please point me to the vehicle code where it states otherwise? Not being a "whiny bitch", I'd just like to learn. It'd be nice to know so I can inform my Uncle of the FPD, the Sargent of the KCSD, and my attorney who specializes in traffic citations and happens to be a 20+ year veteran of the CHP.
You stated in post that the code section can not apply to your tires because of street tread and i agree with you, the officer was wrong for citing you for bald tires due to tread, your tires are not illegal because of the tread, they are illegal because they are designed and marked as racing tires, which in CA you can not drive a racing tire on the highway. So he cited you the right section just used the wrong terms, he should have stated the vehicle was unsafe due to racing tires, not due to tread. That is all i am pointing out, im not saying your uncle or attorney is wrong, they are saying the exact same thing you are, but the fact is that DOT does not approve tires for street driving, they approve ALL tires so that manufactures can sell them, otherwise if DOT did not get involved then people could sell you shitty tires that could explode.

You, your uncle, your attorney, you guys are all right, the point i am making is for you to ask them if he would have cited you for unsafe vehicle due to RACING TIRES and nothing to do with tread, if the cite would have stuck
Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by transambandit
You stated in post that the code section can not apply to your tires because of street tread and i agree with you, the officer was wrong for citing you for bald tires due to tread, your tires are not illegal because of the tread, they are illegal because they are designed and marked as racing tires, which in CA you can not drive a racing tire on the highway. So he cited you the right section just used the wrong terms, he should have stated the vehicle was unsafe due to racing tires, not due to tread. That is all i am pointing out, im not saying your uncle or attorney is wrong, they are saying the exact same thing you are, but the fact is that DOT does not approve tires for street driving, they approve ALL tires so that manufactures can sell them, otherwise if DOT did not get involved then people could sell you shitty tires that could explode.

You, your uncle, your attorney, you guys are all right, the point i am making is for you to ask them if he would have cited you for unsafe vehicle due to RACING TIRES and nothing to do with tread, if the cite would have stuck
I disagree. Drag slicks are not DOT approved. I have had MTs and Hoosiers and neither of which come with a DOT stamp.

Also, can you show me the vehicle code you are enforcing when you cite someone for "racing tires"?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

I disagree. Drag slicks are not DOT approved. I have had MTs and Hoosiers and neither of which come with a DOT stamp.

Also, can you show me the vehicle code you are enforcing when you cite someone for "racing tires"?
Ive all ready went over this, you cite for THE SAME SECTION you were cited for, UNSAFE VEHICLE then you specify that it is for racing tires.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

Ive all ready went over this, you cite for THE SAME SECTION you were cited for, UNSAFE VEHICLE then you specify that it is for racing tires.
Where in the vehicle code does it state "racing tires" are illegal? Under your interpretation of the law you could write the same ticket for someone with "black tires".
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

bravo to you man!! bravo
Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM
9 Second Club

Where in the vehicle code does it state "racing tires" are illegal? Under your interpretation of the law you could write the same ticket for someone with "black tires".
......waiting.....
Old 03-18-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X.Modesto
To be honest with you I think that the sargent signed it off because he did not want to deal with a whiny little bitch, no offense. The LAW states in vehicle section code 27465 paragraph e that it is up to the department to decide what is "safe" or not. The fact that the minimum tread requirement is 1/32 of an inch and you had 6/32 of an inch would have not made a big difference in court IMO. BUT because of your "persistence" you got the ticket signed off.
They can only decide what is safe on the vehicles specifically listed in the code section. The code sections cited in code 27465 refer to farm, commercial and other unconventional vehicles. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve

I have been reading each code section that relates to tires and so far have found nothing to indicate that a DOT approved tire with 1/8" tread depth is illegal in any way, unless it is a snow tire.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Don't mis-read that section:

It doesn't leave the discretion up to the untrained officer. It states the department may adopt different regulations that must also keep within reasonable safety requirements. So, no, it is not okay for the officer to change LAW on a whim. Additionally, even if Kern adopted different regulations (which it did not), I doubt they would require depth greater than 6/32" since that would likely fall outside of the reasonable realm.

Call me a whiny little bitch all you want. Even a whiny little bitch has given rights rewared with the privlidge of obtaining a drivers license
And even then they can only do that with vehicles which fall into those sections listed.

I think you're 100% in the right man
Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

do you have, or could you find that code section? I'd like to review it, just so we all know once and for all
Old 03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Wills my attorney, I will ask will.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

......waiting.....
You will be waiting for a while, im on vacation until the end of march, also you are missing the point. The section is a very loose section, all i have to do is provide that it is an unsafe vehicle, based on my training and experience the tires you are driving on are unsafe for highway, couple that with the hoosier warning NOT to drive them on the highway and you have an unsafe vehicle. No where in the section does it say there has to be a law making racing tires illegal.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Wills my attorney, I will ask will.
not ask, consult ivan....
Old 03-19-2009, 10:05 AM
9 Second Club

You will be waiting for a while, im on vacation until the end of march, also you are missing the point. The section is a very loose section, all i have to do is provide that it is an unsafe vehicle, based on my training and experience the tires you are driving on are unsafe for highway, couple that with the hoosier warning NOT to drive them on the highway and you have an unsafe vehicle. No where in the section does it say there has to be a law making racing tires illegal.
No disrespect to what you do......but I think its safe to assume you have have ABSOLUTELY ZERO formal training in tire construction and studies on how SPECIFIC tire makes and SPECIFIC tread configuration directly effect tire performance.

Unfortunately, Hoosier does not create law for you to enforce....... CALIFORNIA does, and it says tires must be DOT approved and have 2/32" or greater tread depth to be driven on the highway. No where (unless you can point it out to me once you're off vacation) does it say "racing tires" are illegal.

When I had my "bald tire" portion of the ticket signed off by local CHP, the officer asked about why the hell there was an "unsafe vehicle" violation on the ticket. I explained the entire situation to him (including that their Sargent dropped the violation) and he said they only use that section for cars without proper seat belts, or without windshields. He couldn't believe the officer used that section for "bald tires" even regardless of the FACT that they were well within required specs by CALIFORNIA LAW.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

No disrespect to what you do......but I think its safe to assume you have have ABSOLUTELY ZERO formal training in tire construction and studies on how SPECIFIC tire makes and SPECIFIC tread configuration directly effect tire performance.
I'm not going to speak on his behalf but what I read in his statements is that this is a judgment call by the officer. Being that, he does not need to be an expert on tire construction. Just the same as if you were driving on a flat tire he could say "the tires you are driving on are unsafe for highway use". If that were the case, would you in turn say "you have absolutely zero formal training in tire construction..."
Old 03-19-2009, 01:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I'm not going to speak on his behalf but what I read in his statements is that this is a judgment call by the officer. Being that, he does not need to be an expert on tire construction. Just the same as if you were driving on a flat tire he could say "the tires you are driving on are unsafe for highway use". If that were the case, would you in turn say "you have absolutely zero formal training in tire construction..."
I'm no expert so you may very well be correct. But it seems a little harsh unreasonable to write someone an uncorrectable violaton that carries a decent fine, a point on your record, as well as the likelyhood of a hike in your insurance rates all because you might have ran over a nail a 1/4 mile before being pulled over for a "flat tire".

I can understand a fix it ticket for "bald tires".......but to cite a vehicle as "unsafe" seems a little excessive to me (and several other qualified people) considering the tires are DOT approved for highway use and have ample tread depth.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
I think he is wrong though Bry. i highly doubt there is a section that reads: "Any car that an officer deems 'unsafe' for any reason." It makes no sense that he would be able to decide that his tires were "unsafe" when they meet the tread depth and DOT requirements. There is no code section that reads "any tire that an officer thinks looks weird may be deemed unsafe."
Old 03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
I think he is wrong though Bry. i highly doubt there is a section that reads: "Any car that an officer deems 'unsafe' for any reason." It makes no sense that he would be able to decide that his tires were "unsafe" when they meet the tread depth and DOT requirements. There is no code section that reads "any tire that an officer thinks looks weird may be deemed unsafe."
i dunno man...seems pretty gray to me.....
Old 03-19-2009, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nevrlift13
i dunno man...seems pretty gray to me.....
According to the code sections on tires, the tires are legal. Yet he is saying that there is another code section that allows him to override the section directly relating to tires and deem them unsafe? What is the purpose of having the code section laying out the elements required for tires to be deemed roadworthy if it can just be ignored at the officer's discretion?

So those are the rules for tires, unless the cop decides he doesnt like them? lol. I dont see the justification for deeming them unsafe. Until he presents us with that section, I guess we've come to a halt in this discussion
Old 03-19-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see where you're coming from, but if he's allowed to make a judgment call (just like with speeding) based on their experience and training, it doesn't seem too far fetched to me.

Something just came to mind though: Are non-full-size spares DOT approved?

According to the code sections on tires, the tires are legal. Yet he is saying that there is another code section that allows him to override the section directly relating to tires and deem them unsafe? What is the purpose of having the code section laying out the elements required for tires to be deemed roadworthy if it can just be ignored at the officer's discretion?

So those are the rules for tires, unless the cop decides he doesnt like them? lol. I dont see the justification for deeming them unsafe. Until he presents us with that section, I guess we've come to a halt in this discussion
I agree, but I don't believe the code section "overrides" another, it is just more applicable to the given situation.

Regardless, the takeaway message for the OP is "I made a cop look like a fool and I have a video to prove it".

Quick Reply: Oldy but goody vid. Me > cop