Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

how many of you guys have been caught for racing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Some lettes, a few numbers, a penal code or two.
hahaha effin' Adam

Originally Posted by comanten123
My advice would be to challenge the ticket. OFTEN it will make them want to skip the hearing. Even if he does come to the hearing, his sparse notes and bad memory will help the judge decide in your favor. Alot of times they will not even show up. Make sure you question the officer more directly, about how the offense was detected and verified. Find out where they were positioned when they clocked you and what type of speed measurement device, was used and if it was radar, laser or Accutrac. Most radar guns need to be recalibrated every 30-60 days, and due to ignorance, lack of funding, or laziness, they rarely are.One solid arguement is to prove that the measurment device is faulty. Verify whether this was done and documented.BUT If in your case the officer estimated your speed, then find out what the location was when he began to follow you. IF the officer does not give u this information releated to the device you can request this information by filing a motion of Discovery, and then you will get that information. Motion of Discovery is the legal notion that you are entitled to see all the evidence against you and other relevant information that the prosecutor may have that can help or hurt your case. Show up to your hearing looking clean and professional. Plead “not guilty.” A plea of “no contest” or “guilty with explanation” will do you no good. Use facts to present your case to the judge without admitting guilt. "I was only doing 55 in a 45" IS an admission of guilt. "I was traveling at a safe speed for the conditions" does NOT admit guilt. Politely and clearly explain your defense, entering evidence as necessary. In some cases (in your example) Say the charger was challenging YOU to race and sped off reaching speeds of 65+ mph while you were left behind with his racing ticket.

p.s. In some states (for sure California) you are entitled to a trial by mail. This is the best option for beating your ticket imo. You submit your claim as to why you are innocent in a letter, and the officer must do the same. Trial by mail is pure paperwork, and cops will often not bother to submit their side of the story. When this happens, you win by default. EVEN if you lose by mail, you have lost NOTHING because you can still request an in-person trial (as if your mail verdict never even happened), request traffic school, or pay your fine. Your entire case can rest on your attitude, be on your best behavior inside and outside of the courthouse. Always show respect for the court and the proceedings. Win or lose, it is always best to thank the judge.
+1

This is probably the best advice given so far.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well here is the thing, you can fight it, if the other person wasn't given a ticket, how can they prove it? Hope teh cop doesn't show, no show, means no ticket, I would agree with Gilbert (raptorws6) and get a lawyer or legal advice, could be hefty fine for ya. Not sure of the amount but I think they are high hundres like $600 or more. Not completely sure so don't worry till someone gives you exact.
The cop doesn't have to show up till trial since the D.A. will be handling the case. This isn't one of those tickets you hope for the cop to not show up because he won't since he is not needed till the end.

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
not to be a an *******.... but youre pretty much fucked dude....
State of CA is the worst state when it comes to this type of ****...
you def gotta get a lawyer... if your lawyer is good, they wont give you jail time or suspend your license... but you will pay with community service and numerous fines...

as many know i got seen doing a ***** *** peel out in front of the store and the sonofa bitch slapped a misdemeanor on my ***... I hired a lawyer fearing of losing my license... Now after spending close to 5 grand on both a lawyer and traffic fines, and doing about 20 days of caltrans 8 hours a day on a hot ******* weather almost everyday.... 2 days left!!!!!!!
i dont even know what they would do if i actually street raced... probably crucified me right there...

i was surprised they didnt take you in...

if it says misdemeanor on the ticked, you got ur self i a quite of a deep **** friend
Your lawyer was a ******* douche bag and a retard if the best he could do for you was 20 days at cal trans, fines and his fees for a exhibition of speed. Post up this retard's name so no one else gets screwed by him.

Originally Posted by dreemurY2K SS
would it say misdemeanor on the ticket, mine doesnt say anything like that,

the cop didnt actually see me runnin he saw me slow down thats it..
it will be circled I or M next to the citation number.

Not to make a joke out of this, but what do you wanna bet the cop is a chevy guy?

Anyways just get a lwyer and see if you can play the whole thing out of you weren't racing, how could you have been if someone else didn't get a ticket for racing, you obviously can't race yourself.

The cop will say he was only able to pull one vehicle over at a time. Sorry but not a good defense.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle

The cop will say he was only able to pull one vehicle over at a time. Sorry but not a good defense.
Actually it is the PERFECT defense. As you mentioned, the DA handles it. It isn't your "basic" speeding infraction. The prosecution needs to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were:

A. Racing another vehicle or
B. Racing against a timing device.

Assuming the officer said "I saw the other car, it was a black mustang. BUT I can only pull over one car at a time." doesn;t PROVE there was another car. Just like in murder trials, there HAS to be a murder weapon linked to the defendent.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NAAllTheWay
im not from out that way but i would guess its going to depend largely on the judge and how you play your cards....and the comment "if he didnt get a ticket also so they cant prove i was racing" throw that out the window, dont even bring that up to the judge. your best bet IMO would be CALL A LAWYER...and get yourself a chance to speak to the judge, and when you do make it out like you are confessing but EXTREMELY sorry and when you do DOWNPLAY EVERYTHING.......ya know just be like he was next to me ..so i just got on it for a second maybe like 50 ft. at the most and let off. be like i didnt slow down because i saw the cop, i just didnt want to be going any faster and i didnt even notice to cop till he was behind me to be honest.....well anyway put it in your own words, make up some bullshit...you get the idea, just make sure you dont try and bullshit the whole thing bc judges pretty much just hear lies for a living and they will see through it. and like i said you need to opologize like no1's bussiness..............not tryin to come off as a no it all....just my 02c iv been pulled over 23 times now so.....
Nice so admit to speed contest but for only 50ft. You're a bright one.

My advice would be to challenge the ticket. OFTEN it will make them want to skip the hearing. Even if he does come to the hearing, his sparse notes and bad memory will help the judge decide in your favor. Alot of times they will not even show up. Make sure you question the officer more directly, about how the offense was detected and verified. Find out where they were positioned when they clocked you and what type of speed measurement device, was used and if it was radar, laser or Accutrac. Most radar guns need to be recalibrated every 30-60 days, and due to ignorance, lack of funding, or laziness, they rarely are.One solid arguement is to prove that the measurment device is faulty. Verify whether this was done and documented.BUT If in your case the officer estimated your speed, then find out what the location was when he began to follow you. IF the officer does not give u this information releated to the device you can request this information by filing a motion of Discovery, and then you will get that information. Motion of Discovery is the legal notion that you are entitled to see all the evidence against you and other relevant information that the prosecutor may have that can help or hurt your case. Show up to your hearing looking clean and professional. Plead “not guilty.” A plea of “no contest” or “guilty with explanation” will do you no good. Use facts to present your case to the judge without admitting guilt. "I was only doing 55 in a 45" IS an admission of guilt. "I was traveling at a safe speed for the conditions" does NOT admit guilt. Politely and clearly explain your defense, entering evidence as necessary. In some cases (in your example) Say the charger was challenging YOU to race and sped off reaching speeds of 65+ mph while you were left behind with his racing ticket.

p.s. In some states (for sure California) you are entitled to a trial by mail. This is the best option for beating your ticket imo. You submit your claim as to why you are innocent in a letter, and the officer must do the same. Trial by mail is pure paperwork, and cops will often not bother to submit their side of the story. When this happens, you win by default. EVEN if you lose by mail, you have lost NOTHING because you can still request an in-person trial (as if your mail verdict never even happened), request traffic school, or pay your fine. Your entire case can rest on your attitude, be on your best behavior inside and outside of the courthouse. Always show respect for the court and the proceedings. Win or lose, it is always best to thank the judge.
All that sounds easy but they make it a pain in the *** to get all that on your own but you can get it. The D.A. will likely tear his ******* to shreds unless he knows something about the law and trials.

No he can't do trial by written declaration on this ticket unless he wrote it as infraction which can be fixed by the D.A.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ninetres
Actually it is the PERFECT defense. As you mentioned, the DA handles it. It isn't your "basic" speeding infraction. The prosecution needs to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you were:

A. Racing another vehicle or
B. Racing against a timing device.

Assuming the officer said "I saw the other car, it was a black mustang. BUT I can only pull over one car at a time." doesn;t PROVE there was another car. Just like in murder trials, there HAS to be a murder weapon linked to the defendent.
The shadow of a doubt is bullshit. You're dealing with a jury that will either believe the cop or not, it's mostly emotions not facts that they act on. Murder trials are felony trials so really different.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

i got caught for racing a mustang last week on the 105 and the cop gave me a break and gave me a speeding ticket for going 80....i guess i was lucky
Old 03-24-2009, 02:11 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
The shadow of a doubt is bullshit. You're dealing with a jury that will either believe the cop or not, it's mostly emotions not facts that they act on. Murder trials are felony trials so really different.
Do you speak from experience? I do. I'm not sure about other counties but mine is a HUGE anti-street racing county and I WENT TO TRIAL FOR A SPEED contest. I am not making up a defense I "think" would work. I've been in court and seen it work.

And its not a jury trial, at least mine wasn't. Mine was a judge.

And PS: The severity of the crime (ie....misdemeanor vs felony) does not change the burden of proof which the prosectution MUST supply to EARN a conviction.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

^^^^^ so what happen with you, did you fix anything...
Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

well today i called that guy that fixes my dads tickets his asking for 1g an they will reduce
it to a infraction ticket an will not get as much points....

i called ticket busters, they charge me 1g also to fight it, or just pay 350 an they will reduce
my fine as low as possible, he said it can be from $90- couple hundreds, an normally it would be 6 points on my license, but they will reduce that also
Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

sounds like some good advice..
Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM
9 Second Club

well today i called that guy that fixes my dads tickets his asking for 1g an they will reduce
it to a infraction ticket an will not get as much points....

i called ticket busters, they charge me 1g also to fight it, or just pay 350 an they will reduce
my fine as low as possible, he said it can be from $90- couple hundreds, an normally it would be 6 points on my license, but they will reduce that also
Its a two point offence if I remember correctly. The judge asked if I would be willing to place the trial on hold for 6 months, and if I didn't get another "speed contest" or any other misdemeanor, she wuld drop it. 6 months later......case dismissed.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

Yep... thats all
Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

well ima pay the fukn 350 for them to go for me an see what happens.....

hopefully everything goes smooth an dont end up payin more than a 1g
Old 03-24-2009, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

how much did you pay man
Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM
9 Second Club

how much did you pay man
$300 for my attorney......family friend. He schooled me on what the prosection has to prove to win a conviction. I had no fine because my case was dismissed.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

so what do i have to prove to be dismissed
Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

good luck bro. i got pulled over once for racing. the motorcycle cop called me stupid.... idiot... moron...etc... but in the end let me go with a warning . said he was looking for drunk drivers and wasnt in the mood for street racing. and not to pull that ''****" anymore.! and the other guy did get caught because they have radios and can describe the other car to nearby squad cars. i saw him pulled over 3 blocks down. i took it as a sign i havent raced since.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

No "sure thing" as it is up to the judge to make the decision......read my posts over again as I have already told you what to do. The defense NEVER has the burden to prove ANYTHING.

Last edited by ninetres; 03-24-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Teching In

ive been caught i raced a honda my car broke off the line and broke some other **** while getting chased

i was on 7 cylenders and i didnt know and my trans broke while passing the 8the mile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtSl0Y2-gfk
Old 03-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ninetres
Do you speak from experience? I do. I'm not sure about other counties but mine is a HUGE anti-street racing county and I WENT TO TRIAL FOR A SPEED contest. I am not making up a defense I "think" would work. I've been in court and seen it work.

And its not a jury trial, at least mine wasn't. Mine was a judge.

And PS: The severity of the crime (ie....misdemeanor vs felony) does not change the burden of proof which the prosectution MUST supply to EARN a conviction.
I do speak from experience but my judge was a b****. San Bernardino btw. That may work for some judge but may not for others. My point is you'd be admitting guilt and that's no good period! I know the burden of proof is the same but the prosecution doesn't have to go as hard to convince a jury he was street racing. You may request a jury trial if you choose and would highly recommend it if you don't know the judge because they sleep in the same bed with the D.A.

You have to defend yourself against their allegations and be convincing.

Quick Reply: how many of you guys have been caught for racing...