Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI
View Poll Results: M5/M6 or A4. Whatcha got?
M5/M6
54.22%
A4
36.14%
M5/M6. Wish I had an A4
3.61%
A4. Wish I had an M5/M6
12.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

M5/M6 or A4? Whatcha got?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CMS built M6. love it, its a beast. last car was a built Auto with a stall, behind a 358 SBC in a monte SS. I loved that as well. I think i like them both just the same with M6 a little bit ahead due to the fact that i like to race with turns. A drag car however...cant beat the stalled auto.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

T56 is the only way to go.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well then after learning that i have a m6 haha
Old 04-27-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
M6 all the way, I did an a4 to m6 swap and have never looked back. All tho I have never driven a stalled auto, would really love to one of these days.
you will drive it and swap back...

a stock a4 is NO comparison to a stalled a4..
Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by lemons12

I've driven both, T56 ftmfw!!!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I've driven both, T56 ftmfw!!!
Only if I was down for some road course action, stalled A4 for drag racing FTMFW, only problem is with M6 you can feel when its grabbing better than with a stalled auto, nothing a little in the car time wouldn't fix. I got a monster good time with my stalled A4 I love it, I would only get an M6 for a daily driver that I do canyon carving with.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lemons12

I hope not, na for me I like a challenge, getting better at driving makes me feel like I accomplished something. Auto is cool to but I like the fact that I become an even bigger factor in the experience. Thats one reason why I like riding so much, no matter how much money you put into your bike when you go to the track only your skill will show.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
I hope not, na for me I like a challenge, getting better at driving makes me feel like I accomplished something. Auto is cool to but I like the fact that I become an even bigger factor in the experience. Thats one reason why I like riding so much, no matter how much money you put into your bike when you go to the track only your skill will show.
Well considering no matter what you still have to launch the car correctly and with a M6 you get better feeling for when the clutch grabs as opposed to a stalled A4 when it takes a lot longer to get the feeling down, either way it takes personal skill to race the car, if you want you can test out my stalled A4 take it down the track and see if you can best my 60' with it and my 1/8 mile time. 1.8 60' and 8.19 ET on really crappy street tires...

I like both but to say that one takes more skill than the other is incorrect both have their quirks both are better at one thing or another for their own reasons. M6 is better for road course, A4 is better for straight line.

I want an M6 for a daily driver/canyon carver, but for drag racing A4 or A3. Most pro drag racers use an automatic tell them their aren't a skilled driver and see how that goes hahaha.

And this is not personal attack just stating that it is a preference thing and that to say that you are a better driver for driving an M6 well that is an opinion and is not fact and either way you are the biggest factor in driving.. there are cars with more power than me running worse times and that is simply because of the driver.

Sorry I do not mean for this to be an attack, just friendly discussion.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
with a M6 you get better feeling for when the clutch grabs as opposed to a stalled A4 when it takes a lot longer to get the feeling down

I like both but to say that one takes more skill than the other is incorrect
I have had both and you are so dead wrong. Even at 600rwhp the auto was boring as **** and presented no challenge.

Even now, after years of driving my T56, it's still a challenge and im still improving ever so slowly. With the auto, the launches, strong points and the whole nine yards was figured out in about 20 minutes time.

Maybe what you meant to say was "They each have their purpose" rather than "they each require the same amount of skill" because they damn sure dont.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

A4 the way to go.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
I have had both and you are so dead wrong. Even at 600rwhp the auto was boring as **** and presented no challenge.

Even now, after years of driving my T56, it's still a challenge and im still improving ever so slowly. With the auto, the launches, strong points and the whole nine yards was figured out in about 20 minutes time.

Maybe what you meant to say was "They each have their purpose" rather than "they each require the same amount of skill" because they damn sure dont.
I have driven both and both require the same for what their purpose is. At any rate I still pose a challenge for you who say I am wrong to go up to a pro drag driver and say they have less skill than you. I have other people who have been doing this longer than myself or you for that matter that agree and will say the same thing. No they are not on tech they are friends I have made outside of tech.

I will say to each his or her own, you can think that all you want you might be a couple years older than me and think that I am some dumb young kid... You could think that but hey whatever. It's like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

you might be a couple years older than me and think that I am some dumb young kid... You could think that but hey whatever. It's like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop.
dude, dont develop a complex. I dont give a **** how old you are, I didnt bother looking..

Your example is retarded.

How about these instead: (these tests dont insult anybody and will therefore not produce skewed results as your test wouldve)

Go to your local track, find two cars running near the same times. Have the auto guy drive the stick car and the stick guy drive the auto car. I predict 9 out of 10 times the stick guy will be able to drive the auto guy's car better than vice versa.

Look at all of the cars on here with similar power. Then tell me what trans is putting out the better times with the same power on average. The fact that the auto cars et better 9 times out of 10 with the same power show right that that the auto is alot is easier for the average person to drive. How can u argue with that? If they were as difficult as an M6, there would be just as many shitty auto ets, but there's not. How do you explain that? The people who chose the stick just happened to suck at driving? Or the one's who chose autos are just better drivers? Thats bs.

I have had BOTH. With multiple tranny's, auto's and sticks, converters and clutches. You have only had ONE. How in the **** are you going to know better than I?
Old 04-28-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude, dont develop a complex. I dont give a **** how old you are, I didnt bother looking..

How about these instead: (these tests dont insult anybody and will therefore not produce skewed results as your test wouldve)

Go to your local track, find two cars running near the same times. Have the auto guy drive the stick car and the stick guy drive the auto car. I predict 9 out of 10 times the stick guy will be able to drive the auto guy's car better than vice versa.

Look at all of the cars on here with similar power. Then tell me what trans is putting out the better times with the same power on average. The fact that the auto cars et better 9 times out of 10 with the same power show right that that the auto is alot is easier for the average person to drive. How can u argue with that? If they were as difficult as an M6, there would be just as many shitty auto ets, but there's not. How do you explain that? The people who chose the stick just happened to suck at driving? Or the one's who chose autos are just better drivers? Thats bs.

I have had BOTH. With multiple tranny's, auto's and sticks, converters and clutches. You have only had ONE. How in the **** are you going to know better than I?

I agree, IDK how you could even argue that. Autos make more consistent and faster times, easier and this isn't a new theory, its been proven MANY times.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just because I haven't owned doesn't mean I haven't driven... but thats cool I got a better time than my friend did in his own tbird turbo coupe and he drove it for several years I was 15 and just started driving (well sort of).

I am not looking to get into a pissing match here this is the second time you have tried to argue with me so for the sake of not caring that much. You are right, you are now the coolest kid on the sped bus.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:18 PM
10 Second Club

thats cool I got a better time than my friend did in his own tbird turbo coupe and he drove it for several years I was 15 and just started driving (well sort of).
are you kidding? this is your response? This works AGAINST your argument! It just shows that anyone can hop in an auto car, with no experience, even 15 yo's and run the same time. That would never happen with an M6 car.

but anyway, I never said it didnt take SOME amount of skill. Even when that very small amount that is required leaves room for you to beat someone's time.

dont get all butthurt, you posted your opinion and I posted mine, whats your problem? If I disagree with you i'm trying to argue huh?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Adam, quit while you still have your *****.

Will F T W.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Currently have an M6. Will be swapping to performabuilt lvl2 with ss4000 soon hopefully. M6 was cool, but its become a pain. And I never get on it around corners, only ever in a straight line.

To each their own, but after the first time I drove a stalled auto, I started looking for someone to trade with.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

Adam,
shut the **** up.

-Thanks on behalf of LS1tech
Old 04-29-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have driven both and both require the same for what their purpose is.
Wrong. I drove my buddy's auto right after installing his Yank SS4000 (having NEVER driven a stalled auto before), it had drag radials on at the time too, and I could launch the **** out of it! How hard is it to hold the brake, push the gas, stall up the tranny, and punch it on the green?

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Adam, quit while you still have your *****.

Will F T W.
+1000.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I definitely agree that M6 is a lot harder. When my car was stock, I thought I was a good M6 driver, and then I drove an 07 Z06. Yea you better be good if youre dring 500hp with a manual. I also drove a CTS-V with 500HP auto and it was a piece of cake. You cant just step on the gas like an auto. You need to be used to a HEAVY clutch and rowing the gears.

Quick Reply: M5/M6 or A4? Whatcha got?