Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Bob Lutz unhappy with new Buick campaign?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Bob Lutz unhappy with new Buick campaign?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwtEpyLOsnA

Originally Posted by AutoBlog.Com
Looks like there could be too many cooks in the Buick PR kitchen, and the soup is looking worried. For the new GM to get on its feet, Buick has to find its feet. To do that, Buick has created a number of ad campaigns meant to showcase its new product and bring new, younger buyers to the brand. One of the commercials in the campaign is called "Photo Shoot," and according to a report, the recently empowered VP of marketing, Bob Lutz, isn't particularly pleased with the spot.

Both Lutz and GM CEO Fritz Henderson don't believe the commercial positions Buick as a luxury brand that competes with Lexus. They have told GM's ad agency, Leo Burnett, that it needs to do better. However -- and here's where it gets convoluted -- the ad was created by an independent shop that Leo Burnett was told to hire to do the work. Mark LaNeve, GM's head of marketing, allegedly instructed Burnett to hire Gary Topolewski, a former creative director at Burnett who worked with LaNeve on Cadillac's Break Through ad campaign, and who now runs another ad agency.

The other character in the middle of all of this is Buick VP Susan Docherty, who defended the commercial. She said it fulfills its role of promoting a revamped Buick brand, adding that she looks "forward to working with Bob and sharing spots two through six with him." Follow the jump to watch the commercial, and you can decide if it makes you put the word "Buick" in the same sentence with "Lexus."

[Source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/20/b...uick-campaign/
Old 07-22-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buick and lexus in the same category? not with these type of commercials...
Old 07-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. Bob Lutz needs to DRIVE a Lexus... Then the commercial might seem more fitting.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Guess what....the rest of the car world is VERY unhappy about Bob Lutz existence, karma right there.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

a Buick is not comparable to a Lexus.

I would not take a new Buick for free if one was offered to me, but I would definately take a new Lexus.

Median age of Buick buyers-- 67yrs. old.

Look at just about any Buick you see on the road and it is driven by octagenarians wearing huge glacoma glasses.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Not a bad looking car for a Buick. But between a Hyundai Genesis and this I am all over the Hyundai. Although I would just buy a used CTSV and call it a day! My 06 Impala SS can destory there top of line version of this car and its a fraction of the price of this granpa car!
Old 07-23-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually like the looks of the new buick lacrosse.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can see that its targeting a younger crowd with this ad, thats for sure. The problem is, Lexus does not target a younger crowd in general (IS-series aside) so Im not sure you can really accomplish both at the same time.

Also, Lutz is pretty damn old, so Im not sure that he will like any ad thats meant for a younger crowd anyways.

I say they bring back the grand national on the Zeta platform to assist in bringing back a young crowd. If they plan to gain a young demographic with large sedans and large x-overs then they are sworely mistaken. They need smaller cars, like say something to complete with the IS-series.

Quick Reply: Bob Lutz unhappy with new Buick campaign?