Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question?

Why is my car water temp getting over the middle almost hitting red and overheating ??? it has water and anti freeze can it be my water pump ,radiator ??
Old 08-27-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Regular

the pump has to pump water , and the thermo has to open to allow water to pass.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thepheroe
Why is my car water temp getting over the middle almost hitting red and overheating ??? it has water and anti freeze can it be my water pump ,radiator ??
Maybe your t-stat is not opening. Or you could have a blocked radiator. If you have thermal gun you can check if the coolant is circulating.

Last edited by XpEdItIoUs; 08-27-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Maybe your t-stat is not opening. Or you could have a blocked radiator. If you have temp gun you can check if the coolant is circulating.
how would i check if my t-stat is not opening ??? temp gun meaning pressure gun???
Old 08-27-2009, 05:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thepheroe
how would i check if my t-stat is not opening ??? temp gun meaning pressure gun???
usally if the coolant is not circulating the there will be a large temp differences between two hoses.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

First thing you need to do is to pressure test your system. You can get a pressure tester on deposit from Autozone. Hook it up and pressurize the system to 18psi with the car cold and off. That will let you know if your system is holding pressure and if it's leaking anywhere. If it's holding pressure the next thing you need to do is to verify that your fans are coming on. Let the car warm up and if it gets to 3/4 of the way and the fans never come on, that's your issue. You then would need to check your fan motors/relays, and wiring. Your temp sensor could be to blame for that as well. I would also look for a scanner than can read your cars actual temperature to see if the gauge is reading correctly. Now if it's none of the above, it could be a faulty thermostat that is your issue. Good luck, happy hunting...
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
usally if the coolant is not circulating the there will be a large temp differences between two hoses.
thanks for the tip
Old 08-28-2009, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
First thing you need to do is to pressure test your system. You can get a pressure tester on deposit from Autozone. Hook it up and pressurize the system to 18psi with the car cold and off. That will let you know if your system is holding pressure and if it's leaking anywhere. If it's holding pressure the next thing you need to do is to verify that your fans are coming on. Let the car warm up and if it gets to 3/4 of the way and the fans never come on, that's your issue. You then would need to check your fan motors/relays, and wiring. Your temp sensor could be to blame for that as well. I would also look for a scanner than can read your cars actual temperature to see if the gauge is reading correctly. Now if it's none of the above, it could be a faulty thermostat that is your issue. Good luck, happy hunting...
Thanks for the help Im checking it all today ,Im going to do a few stuff to my car because its just time for a few things like flush the radiator ,trans and engine oil change and check the t-stat and water pump thanks for the help guys .
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

maybe all the coolant fell out, leaving only water in the system which boils and could cause overheating...

it could happen...
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TRANS(AM
maybe all the coolant fell out, leaving only water in the system which boils and could cause overheating...

it could happen...
How does the coolant "fall out"
First of all, straight water cools better than a mixture of coolant and water. Second it's a pressurized system, which raises the boiling temperature, that's why the water/coolant doesn't boil. You can run the car on straight diluted water if you want to (not recommended because you'll likely form rust) I have been running on straight water for 6 months because I'm too lazy to drain the system and refill it with a coolant/water mixture.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:27 AM
10 Second Club

Why not take it to your friends shop?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

You mean HAMMER AUTO?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRANS(AM

it could happen...
LOL ******* G-rag LMAO.