Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

5 speed swap complete!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 speed swap complete!

I just finished swapping out my 700r4 for a W/C T5 on my 89 bird and I installed some 3.73's today. The car is WAY more fun now and WAY faster. I wanted to do a 6 speed swap but couldnt afford it so got this wrecked 91 camaro for $500. It had a freshly rebuilt t5 so I decided to pick it up. If you guys think swapping over a 4th gen to stick is easy wait till you do a third gen, its absolute cake. The only difficult part is mounting the pedals and hydraulics. Cant wait till I break these gears in so I can really open it up. O and when I took the rear end apart I found out I have a locker posi
Old 10-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Sweet man congrats. I've never met anyone like me that can't stand autos other than you.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
Sweet man congrats. I've never met anyone like me that can't stand autos other than you.
When I converted my 01 it was the best mod BY FAR I had ever done to it, and I never looked back after that. I will never buy an auto SPORT's car ever again. If it were a drag car, or cruiser I would actually prefer auto.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Come to think of it I only did intake exhaust and gears hahahaa! Still the best mod, but I am one of the few that was satisfied with the power my 01 made
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

sweet! i could never own a fast car with an auto tranny, it just wouldn't be fun for me. m6ftw!
Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by hlaalu
sweet! i could never own a fast car with an auto tranny, it just wouldn't be fun for me. m6ftw!
Now I just need to make this thing fast LOL! After going form 01 to 89 its like DAMN!!!!! Am I really WOT? but I still love the car, and later I'm probably gonna build a 355ci for it, of course after I get another 4th gen.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:00 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by carbonfiberbird
When I converted my 01 it was the best mod BY FAR I had ever done to it, and I never looked back after that. I will never buy an auto SPORT's car ever again. If it were a drag car, or cruiser I would actually prefer auto.
I don't know autos just feel weird to me when I'm driving. Even my little dd is stick shift. Although I've been seeing to many autos with stall and gears running some quick *** time but I don't think I'd like to just floor the gas and sit back at the track. 6spds are so much more fun.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats why you don't own a fast car....

Congrats on the install, it is a damn good thing you enjoy it. Thats the key thing to it is if you enjoy it.

Why not just buy another car to be manual or put a manual valve body in the 700r4?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84

Congrats on the install, it is a damn good thing you enjoy it. Thats the key thing to it is if you enjoy it.

Why not just buy another car to be manual or put a manual valve body in the 700r4?
Exactly! Thanks man actually in this case it made my car faster for sure because any bit of drivetrain drag and you feel it big time, the car only has about 190whp~ now after doing the t5 swap. Autos are best kept for a straight line. I dont have to much money right now so no way could I buy another one. Plus I found exactly what I was looking for in this car.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Exactly! Thanks man actually in this case it made my car faster for sure because any bit of drivetrain drag and you feel it big time, the car only has about 190whp~ now after doing the t5 swap. Autos are best kept for a straight line. I dont have to much money right now so no way could I buy another one. Plus I found exactly what I was looking for in this car.
Cool, yeah i want a 6 speed ls1 car for daily driving/ road course or canyon runs, my car right now is pretty much just straight lines, I enjoy driving all around so all of it is fun for me.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool, yeah i want a 6 speed ls1 car for daily driving/ road course or canyon runs, my car right now is pretty much just straight lines, I enjoy driving all around so all of it is fun for me.
I actually wanna drive a stalled car, everyone says that its fun as hell never been in one tho. Thats actually what I was planning to do before I wrecked my 01. I was gonna put a stall and shift kit on the 89 just to give it a little more of a kick
Old 10-16-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

woa woa this guy gets a cam and heads and thinks he can race to the moon!!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

T56 > 4L60E/4L60/TH400/TH350/700r4
Old 10-16-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

woa woa this guy gets a cam and heads and thinks he can race to the moon!!
This guy gets headers and TD's and thinks he can call his car fast... ohh snap lol ******* tom...

SRJ... tsk tsk tsk.... one day you will learn lol, I am teasin ya man. I stick to each have the superior purposes. To each his or her own. I hope this doesn't turn into another pissing match between autos and manuals...

Well carbonfiberbird if we ever cross paths and you promise not to wreck her, I might see about lettin ya drive a stalled car.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

This guy gets headers and TD's and thinks he can call his car fast... ohh snap lol ******* tom...

SRJ... tsk tsk tsk.... one day you will learn lol, I am teasin ya man. I stick to each have the superior purposes. To each his or her own. I hope this doesn't turn into another pissing match between autos and manuals...

Well carbonfiberbird if we ever cross paths and you promise not to wreck her, I might see about lettin ya drive a stalled car.
Exactly, I almost didd'nt want to post this cuz of this on going pissing match. Each trans. has a purpose. And as far as driving your car I dont think I'd wanna drive someones car I dont know just in case. I'd rather just go for a ride. I really appreciate the offer tho
Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

I just finished swapping out my 700r4 for a W/C T5 on my 89 bird and I installed some 3.73's today. The car is WAY more fun now and WAY faster. I wanted to do a 6 speed swap but couldnt afford it so got this wrecked 91 camaro for $500. It had a freshly rebuilt t5 so I decided to pick it up. If you guys think swapping over a 4th gen to stick is easy wait till you do a third gen, its absolute cake. The only difficult part is mounting the pedals and hydraulics. Cant wait till I break these gears in so I can really open it up. O and when I took the rear end apart I found out I have a locker posi
Congrats on the swap! Did you get the right speedo gears in the trans for the rear end ratio? You should need a 7 tooth drive gear and a 21 tooth driven gear.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
Congrats on the swap! Did you get the right speedo gears in the trans for the rear end ratio? You should need a 7 tooth drive gear and a 21 tooth driven gear.
No never got that changed, thats something that I wanna do tho.