Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

lt1 formula help smells like gas inside

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 formula help smells like gas inside

hey guys i just bought a 94 lt1 formula car and when i am driving it starts to smell like gas i changed the gas cap thinking it was the problen since the gasket was brittle but that wasnt the problem. what could be causing this it gets kinda hard to drive it smells like gas or exhaust fumes any one had a similar experiance i am kinda a newb to lt1 any help would be apreciated thanks in advance
Old 01-10-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

could be a bad o-ring around the fuel pump module... possibly evap purge canister that has been filled up by overfilling gas tank.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Check under the carpet in teh trunk and see if a "trap door mod" has been done and if it was improperly sealed, next pull off the plastic inside the left rear fender and check your evap canister, there is a small filter in there and it could be clogged.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
could be a bad o-ring around the fuel pump module... possibly evap purge canister that has been filled up by overfilling gas tank.
hey the o ring around the fuel pump module i would have to drop the gas tank to check huh whats the evap purge canister and were is it located how can i check this hahaha sorry i ask alot of questions
Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Check under the carpet in teh trunk and see if a "trap door mod" has been done and if it was improperly sealed, next pull off the plastic inside the left rear fender and check your evap canister, there is a small filter in there and it could be clogged.
haha i thought the same thing about the trap door but no there was none made but i havent checked the evap canister so its in the left quarter panel
ima check it out tommorrow
Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

do you see any leaks when it's parked? check the fuel filter to make sure it is connected properly
Old 01-10-2010, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by droptopT/A
hey the o ring around the fuel pump module i would have to drop the gas tank to check huh whats the evap purge canister and were is it located how can i check this hahaha sorry i ask alot of questions
either drop the tank or cut a hole...
evap canister is on the driver side inner quarterpanel, in the rear of the wheel well. its just a plastic cover that hides it. but that is just the canister. i would check all lines going to it from the tank, then from the canister to the solenoid, then intake manifold vac. port.
i would check the tank last, since it takes the most work accssing the connections/module. the o-rings are not that common to crap out, but if the module has been removed at any point for a pump replacment or part service, it may have been installed incorrectly.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SUCK MY SS
either drop the tank or cut a hole...
evap canister is on the driver side inner quarterpanel, in the rear of the wheel well. its just a plastic cover that hides it. but that is just the canister. i would check all lines going to it from the tank, then from the canister to the solenoid, then intake manifold vac. port.
i would check the tank last, since it takes the most work accssing the connections/module. the o-rings are not that common to crap out, but if the module has been removed at any point for a pump replacment or part service, it may have been installed incorrectly.
thanks i will check it tommorrow aso could it be that is running rich when i rev it up it pops a little also the gas smell is pretty bad makes the eyes all watery lol i checked the maf and it has been descreened i once read that it could cause it to run rich also. the car is bone stock no intake not even a knn filter only mod it has is descreened maf and a flowmaster thats how i got it
Old 01-11-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

thanks i will check it tommorrow aso could it be that is running rich when i rev it up it pops a little also the gas smell is pretty bad makes the eyes all watery lol i checked the maf and it has been descreened i once read that it could cause it to run rich also. the car is bone stock no intake not even a knn filter only mod it has is descreened maf and a flowmaster thats how i got it
I would check for exhaust leaks, open air hitting the o2's can cause you to run really rich.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

thanks guys for all th help i figured out the problem.
the problem was the fuel pressure regulator was missing the hose that connects to the intake and the intake was blocked with a plug i am going to fix it right tomorrow
Old 01-12-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

thanks guys for all th help i figured out the problem.
the problem was the fuel pressure regulator was missing the hose that connects to the intake and the intake was blocked with a plug i am going to fix it right tomorrow
If you remove the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator (fpr) and you smell gas, that means you likely have a bad fpr diaphram and you need to replace your fpr...
Old 01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
If you remove the vacuum line connected to the fuel pressure regulator (fpr) and you smell gas, that means you likely have a bad fpr diaphram and you need to replace your fpr...
yeah when i bougth the car it didnt have the vacumm line connected to the regulator and the intake was blocked of with a plug i just bought a brand new napa fpr ima intall it today i already went threw 4 full gas tanks lol in 1 week.the only thing i am missing is the vacumm line anyone got one for sale
Old 01-12-2010, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah when i bougth the car it didnt have the vacumm line connected to the regulator and the intake was blocked of with a plug i just bought a brand new napa fpr ima intall it today i already went threw 4 full gas tanks lol in 1 week.the only thing i am missing is the vacumm line anyone got one for sale
Just get some small diameter rubber vacuum tubing from Autozone.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same thing happen. The diaphram blew in my regulator, and was spewing gas out.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

fixed car really gets out now loving the lt1 low end torque

Quick Reply: lt1 formula help smells like gas inside