Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

UTI-Any students/Teachers in here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
I heard it sucks and its good so its up to u. But as for me my garage is a uti for me I learn more by my self like right now a friend and myself are going to fully back have my car with veryy little guidence.

Btw u want to go uti cuz your basically bored? Cuz that's what it sounds like if that's the case don't go.
Not the case.. I need to do something with my time/life and the way I see it it would benefit me to go to some sort of school. The main reason I want to go to a school like UTI is because I plan on joining the Army at the end of this year and want to go into some sort of mechanics field. The way I see it the more I get to learn out here the better I will do in there. Its not like I don't know anything about mechanics, I had 3 years of autoshop in high school, but I think I would benefit from learning more about this field from proffesionals...if that term is cool with you guys .
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MORETHANQUICKSTANG
Graduated UTI in 2005, went thru BMW STEP program, now am Master BMW tech at the age of 23 making almost a 6 figure income, My dealership in LA is busier than ever and was not affected at all by this economy. Most ppl who hate on UTI are the ones who went in with the negitive attitude, very few ppl who graduate actually make it work for them but in my case it worked to my benefit. i love what i do and dont even consider it WORK.

I've heard that a lot, that it sucks an all this
but oh well Im going to risk it.
Im 17 i love cars an learning on how to mod them to get the best
results. I see myself an other kids at school an I know a whole lot more than
any of them.
I go to a magnet high school rite now majoring in AUTO BODY
an even my teacher tells me Im to OVER QUALIFIED lol
the sad thing is I know more than the students in AUTO TECH class lol

but I leave las vegas on the first week of august to try to get
relocated there with a job an apartment.

Im paying 40k so im goin to put my best into it so it can pay off itself in the
long run.

im going for auto tech, diesel tech, int. diesel tech, an ford fact.
but im aiming to do my best to try to work for BMW or PORSCHE

but if your just bored i DO THINK ITS A WASTE OF MONEY..
maybe picking up some classes at Community college.

an as for wyotech i think its to much i believe its like 9 months i might be wrong
but for like 20k or so for each of there program.
(but might be wrong, i just remember cuz the guy from there was trying to get me to go)
Old 01-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Graduated UTI in 2005, went thru BMW STEP program, now am Master BMW tech at the age of 23 making almost a 6 figure income, My dealership in LA is busier than ever and was not affected at all by this economy. Most ppl who hate on UTI are the ones who went in with the negitive attitude, very few ppl who graduate actually make it work for them but in my case it worked to my benefit. i love what i do and dont even consider it WORK.
I consider you somewhat lucky to be at a dealership un-affected by the economy. I graduated in 05 aswell and quickly became a Toyota Master, one of my roommates was a Audi tech and the other a Jaguar tech. All of us lost got laid off in 09....
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
I consider you somewhat lucky to be at a dealership un-affected by the economy. I graduated in 05 aswell and quickly became a Toyota Master, one of my roommates was a Audi tech and the other a Jaguar tech. All of us lost got laid off in 09....
sorry to hear that, alot of my buddys had the same happen, i was in the right place at the right time with a company the continues to suceed in these times.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Launching!

sorry to hear that, alot of my buddys had the same happen, i was in the right place at the right time with a company the continues to suceed in these times.
That's awesome..... You think Toyota would have had they're **** together too.... It's all good though, I'm working for Ryne right now though so at least I have a job.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Teching In

That's awesome..... You think Toyota would have had they're **** together too.... It's all good though, I'm working for Ryne right now though so at least I have a job.
thats cool man, ryne is a good buddy of mine.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95'FiReChIcKeN
Not the case.. I need to do something with my time/life and the way I see it it would benefit me to go to some sort of school. The main reason I want to go to a school like UTI is because I plan on joining the Army at the end of this year and want to go into some sort of mechanics field. The way I see it the more I get to learn out here the better I will do in there. Its not like I don't know anything about mechanics, I had 3 years of autoshop in high school, but I think I would benefit from learning more about this field from proffesionals...if that term is cool with you guys .
If you are planning on going into the Army then I think it is a really bad idea to go to UTI. You will be wasting your money. The army will teach you everything you need to know about what you are going to work on. You will have to either test to work on what you want or get it in your contract. What you are qualified to work on i think is based off of your GT score on your asvab test. If you go to UTI the army will not pay you more. There for you loose 30k and a lot of time. You will be so surprized at how dumb some of the other guys are that you work with and they were able to get into the same MOS. If you are going to do anything in the Army as far as a mechanical field I would go to the air wing. When you go to school to work for the army and work on there plains there tests qualify you through the FAA. When you go to work on the hummers and tanks and stuff it is a school through the army and not SAE. So when you get out you will not have any SAE qualifications and only your service in the army to get a job. I. E. I got out of the Marines and made $16 an hour at a well known repair shop. My buddy got out of the air wing and had his qualifications and made $24 an hour starting as a tech at the air field. I had to try so hard to get the 16 too. They wanted to pay me $12 an hour. If you go into the aviation go into UPS or FEDEX not the air lines. There is a lot to it and I really rec looking into it before you sign any papers.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

thats cool man, ryne is a good buddy of mine.
yeah I've heard, I got to see the pic of the fallen car/broken rack a day ago. I wanted to run our cars last time I saw your 240 at irwindale, we were running similiar times, that thing was hauling some ***.....
Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
Teching In

yeah I've heard, I got to see the pic of the fallen car/broken rack a day ago. I wanted to run our cars last time I saw your 240 at irwindale, we were running similiar times, that thing was hauling some ***.....
haha that was some funny ****, the car is distroyed. yea the 240 should be back up and running sometime in the next months.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by that240guy
I graduated UTI in 2006. I went through the Audi MSAT in Phoenix. In this economy, 3 manufacturers that I know of have canceled their MSAT programs and dealerships are dropping like flies from hiring UTI students. Dealers would rather hire inexperienced guys and train them themselves and start them at 10 bucks an hour than to hire UTI guys who still need training and usually ask for more money. If I had to do it again, I would not have spent my time and money at UTI.
Off Topic....

Was that your car last night at Van Nuys Cruise? IF So, sweet set up man....as soon as you parked me and my two buddies had to see what was under the hood.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by haighter
If you are planning on going into the Army then I think it is a really bad idea to go to UTI. You will be wasting your money. The army will teach you everything you need to know about what you are going to work on. You will have to either test to work on what you want or get it in your contract. What you are qualified to work on i think is based off of your GT score on your asvab test. If you go to UTI the army will not pay you more. There for you loose 30k and a lot of time. You will be so surprized at how dumb some of the other guys are that you work with and they were able to get into the same MOS. If you are going to do anything in the Army as far as a mechanical field I would go to the air wing. When you go to school to work for the army and work on there plains there tests qualify you through the FAA. When you go to work on the hummers and tanks and stuff it is a school through the army and not SAE. So when you get out you will not have any SAE qualifications and only your service in the army to get a job. I. E. I got out of the Marines and made $16 an hour at a well known repair shop. My buddy got out of the air wing and had his qualifications and made $24 an hour starting as a tech at the air field. I had to try so hard to get the 16 too. They wanted to pay me $12 an hour. If you go into the aviation go into UPS or FEDEX not the air lines. There is a lot to it and I really rec looking into it before you sign any papers.
Yeah i know... I had already tried going to the Army 2 years ago but because of family problems couldnt go anymore. When I took the ASVAB I had scored a 95 which shocked the hell out of me and my recruiting officer, with that score he suggested for me to go into MOS:13-FOXTROT which he told me was field artilery. I am pretty sure I wont score as well this time around, but I should still score high enough to get me into some sort of mechanical field. I think I willl follow your advise on the aviation thing though seeing as no one really backs up UTI... knowing that I guess I should find some sort of aviation mechanics school. Anybody have any ideas of what i should look for??
Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Yeah i know... I had already tried going to the Army 2 years ago but because of family problems couldnt go anymore. When I took the ASVAB I had scored a 95 which shocked the hell out of me and my recruiting officer, with that score he suggested for me to go into MOS:13-FOXTROT which he told me was field artilery. I am pretty sure I wont score as well this time around, but I should still score high enough to get me into some sort of mechanical field. I think I willl follow your advise on the aviation thing though seeing as no one really backs up UTI... knowing that I guess I should find some sort of aviation mechanics school. Anybody have any ideas of what i should look for??
I wouldnt go into an aviation school if you are going into the army. They will teach you everything and you will get the same qualifications as you would as a civilian from what i have been told. Why pay $50k+ to go to a avaition school and then go into the army and they send you to a army school and teach you everything you just learned. Both the civilian and military have schools that are FAA qualified. To get into the aviation mechanical field you have to have a GT score of 90 not a total score but GT score. That is your mechanical and something else. A lot of MOS' have bonus also. The MOS' that have bonus' either are really hazardous or make a lot in the civilian world, so they try and keep you in there so you dont leave. If you leave they have to replace you with someone else and it costs a lot to recruit them train them and send them to school. If you were going to do anything before you went in I would look into being an officer.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

UTI grad here.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

^^^
do u recommend it
by the way sick *** vette
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CHELOZ28
Off Topic....

Was that your car last night at Van Nuys Cruise? IF So, sweet set up man....as soon as you parked me and my two buddies had to see what was under the hood.
It used to be my car. I built that car while I was going to UTI and I then sold it to my friend Branden about 8 months ago. We were both at Van Nuys cruise on Wednesday and yes, the Datsun was there with us.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to the army first and have them pay for it,you could be a weekend warrior
Old 01-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

I know a couple aviation mechanics and they regret getting into the field. Auto mechanics get payed better than Aviation Techs. I can't speak for all AV techs as I am sure there are some that get payed tremendous amounts of money, but there are always going to be those select few in their feild that make great money. I think on average though, Auto techs get payed better than AV techs.

I have only been a line tech for 3 years. My first year on the line, I made 60k. The last two years I made 80k. I think that is a pretty typical wage for a dealer mechanic that is working on German cars. My brother works on Land Rovers and he pulls in 100k a year on average. At the same time though, I know mechanics that make 140k and I know mechanics that make 35k. It all depends on who you work for and how much time you put in there and how efficient you are. Working on cars for a living is stressfull and shitty IMO, but its worth the money.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going to throw this out there, with a 95 on your asvab retry and go air force, do anything with aircraft mechanic they have awesome jobs, and they won't try and sell you on field artillery which makes you just another piece of cannon fodder. I went Air Force and was broadcast journalism, coolest job i got to do, I would love to go back in and retry the job, or see if I can get a job doing it civilian side.

Go Military first then let them pay for your schooling.

Quick Reply: UTI-Any students/Teachers in here?