Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

UTI-Any students/Teachers in here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UTI-Any students/Teachers in here?

Hey wassup guys, I'm tired of sitting on my butt on my days off work so I have recently thought of going to UTI. My question is if anybody thinks this is a good school? Do the teachers really teach anything or do they just throw you in there and expect you to know what to do? What are some things you need to enroll? Do they offer financial aid? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. P.S: I hope to be attending the Rancho Cucamonga location.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 PM
Staging Lane

You might want to check out the automive career section of ls1tech.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...od-school.html
Looks like the majority of people will tell you not to waste your time and money (lots of it) going to UTI/Wyotech. Community college seems like a good alternative.

I have no first hand experience with these schools, but I believe these schools, along with all the other schools that offer a career with less of than a year of training, is just another business that just wants to take your money.
This is just my opinion and I mean no disrespect to the people who attended or graduated from these schools.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree waste of time and money,I attended 4 yrs ago and went for 6 months.Couldnt afford $1200 a month,to be taught by students who know more then the teacher...Community college is the best way,and you get to see sum tail...

UTI= usually taught incorrectly
Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

go to S.A.M instead. uti was a joke.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:16 PM
Now you have my attention

**** UTI.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

I went to uti 10 years ago. I ended up working for Vw and am still working for them . I suggest you never think about getting in the automotive dealership business!!!!!!! This industry is so fucked and is getting really hard to make a decent living. Feel free to pm me if you would like more detailed info on how I can save your life by keeping you away from this automotive nightmare!

Last edited by 8tsixt; 01-13-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
TECH Regular

dont waste your money... go to citrus college...they have a good automotive program over there.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

From the UTI graduates I've talked to, they said if they could go back, knowing what they know now after going there, they would have chosen not to go after all. There are a few people that get out of there and go to a decent job, but it seems like its becoming few and far between.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

don't do it. It truly is a waste of money.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Launching!

there's very few jobs for auto mechanics right now, might wanna factor that in.....
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we have 2 UTI graduates at our work, one now stocks the sales floor and the other is still a basic tech. its a waste of time
Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Going to a mod party will teach you more than they will
Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by m6ttop
Going to a mod party will teach you more than they will
LOL...we need to schedule some...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:06 PM
Launching!

damn lots of hate..makes me feel like im the only one on the UTI positive bandwagon..its one of those things..i currently attend uti and i dont think it was a waste of time..you only get out what you put in..granted im going mostly to get into an msat program have a 4.0gpa 99.7% attendance rate 6 Socs 6 directors lists hold the school horsepower record in hot rod..and have the msat interview lady up my *** for me to interview with bmw and porsche i dunno what to say...there are a few classes in there that were like meh classes and alot of it is really because of the teachers..theres many great teachers that love to give info and teach and theres sum teachers that dgaf and they are just there for a paycheck..luckily i have only had 1 so so teacher and it was in undercar so not really a very important one..i would suggest the afternoon class being that most ppl are more laid back instructors included..all in all i would say the school is expensive and only worth it if u go in with a positive attitude and willingness to learn...if u ask questions u will learn. i cant tell u how many ppl come to uti from wyotech...they say that they didnt learn **** there and it was mostly bs..but then they struggle at uti..other then what i mentioned if ur not looking into it as a career and if job placent/msats werent available i wouldnt bother. just go to community college u will learn the basics there..i have friends who have attended wyotech and community college for automotive and lets just say
Old 01-13-2010, 11:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_Y2KSS
damn lots of hate..makes me feel like im the only one on the UTI positive bandwagon..its one of those things..i currently attend uti and i dont think it was a waste of time..you only get out what you put in..granted im going mostly to get into an msat program have a 4.0gpa 99.7% attendance rate 6 Socs 6 directors lists hold the school horsepower record in hot rod..and have the msat interview lady up my *** for me to interview with bmw and porsche i dunno what to say...there are a few classes in there that were like meh classes and alot of it is really because of the teachers..theres many great teachers that love to give info and teach and theres sum teachers that dgaf and they are just there for a paycheck..luckily i have only had 1 so so teacher and it was in undercar so not really a very important one..i would suggest the afternoon class being that most ppl are more laid back instructors included..all in all i would say the school is expensive and only worth it if u go in with a positive attitude and willingness to learn...if u ask questions u will learn. i cant tell u how many ppl come to uti from wyotech...they say that they didnt learn **** there and it was mostly bs..but then they struggle at uti..other then what i mentioned if ur not looking into it as a career and if job placent/msats werent available i wouldnt bother. just go to community college u will learn the basics there..i have friends who have attended wyotech and community college for automotive and lets just say
I attended to get some schooling on paper as well. I was student of phase 12 out of 15 classes, and had a bunch of awards as well. I was originally going to attend Bmw training but it was not available for another 6 months and I wanted to ge tworking asap! Another thing that was stupid was that you couldnt have fascial hair with Bmw, Porche was out of the question considering we had to go to Atlanta Ga. and I had a family to support. I declined Bmw and chose Vw because I would be on the very first class offered in socal. To say I walked out without learning anything would be a lie, But what does it cost to attend now? $30k? When I went it was 15k. Best of luck to you on whatever make you choose. Btw, Havent seen you on Socaleuro in a long time.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Launching!

ive heard UTI sucks dick.. im going to MMI right now, which is a division of UTI, and its ******* awesome.. id say SAM or community college.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

I graduated UTI in 2006. I went through the Audi MSAT in Phoenix. In this economy, 3 manufacturers that I know of have canceled their MSAT programs and dealerships are dropping like flies from hiring UTI students. Dealers would rather hire inexperienced guys and train them themselves and start them at 10 bucks an hour than to hire UTI guys who still need training and usually ask for more money. If I had to do it again, I would not have spent my time and money at UTI.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 AM
Teching In

Graduated UTI in 2005, went thru BMW STEP program, now am Master BMW tech at the age of 23 making almost a 6 figure income, My dealership in LA is busier than ever and was not affected at all by this economy. Most ppl who hate on UTI are the ones who went in with the negitive attitude, very few ppl who graduate actually make it work for them but in my case it worked to my benefit. i love what i do and dont even consider it WORK.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by that240guy
dealers would rather hire inexperienced guys and train them themselves and start them at 10 bucks an hour than to hire uti guys who still need training and usually ask for more money.
well said
Old 01-14-2010, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I heard it sucks and its good so its up to u. But as for me my garage is a uti for me I learn more by my self like right now a friend and myself are going to fully back have my car with veryy little guidence.

Btw u want to go uti cuz your basically bored? Cuz that's what it sounds like if that's the case don't go.

Quick Reply: UTI-Any students/Teachers in here?