Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

best oil for turbo/prcharged

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best oil for turbo/prcharged

ok so i got my ngk sparks... had to close the gap to 30 which i thought was weird but hey my tuner knows more than me.. anyways.. need to know what people are using for oil.. im partial to mobil 1. what are you guys thinking? thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

if its a new engine use a break in oil for your first fill... lucas,RP,motul,joe gibbs.
after, i would run a full synthetic...mobil one is good... i use quaker state and valvoline quite often as well.

is it turbo or procharged? most prochargers have self contained oiling, meaning engine oil is not circulated through it... even though the supercharger will cause higher engine/oil temps, it is not as critical to run a synthetic as in a turbo app. where te oil will be circulated through the hot turbine housing.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

i have a turbo and my friend has a pro charged ls1 so i was asking for both of us.. neither of our engines are brand new though
Old 01-16-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pennzoil platinum is a better oil them mobil 1 all day but for a boosted car i dont know. Search the forced induction section and see what you come up with.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:04 AM
Staging Lane

No one will ever agree on one oil that is the best. For example, I disagree with this:

Originally Posted by 180ls1
pennzoil platinum is a better oil them mobil 1 all day
As long as you are a running a full synthetic oil, that's really all that matters in the end. I have been a very strict Mobil 1 user over the years, but I have now moved onto Castrol Edge. German Castrol Syntec is another good one (only comes in 0W30).

A little piece of info: Castrol is the only oil company that does their own engineering in-house as far as i'm aware. Other oil companies order a "black box" of additives they want in their oil from 3rd parties, as opposed to Castrol doing it all within their own facility.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:49 AM
9 Second Club

ive run mobil 5-30, and VR1 20w-50 in my TT camaro the thiner oil would get used by the turbo alot more than the VR1 the vr1 is way cheaper too.

But i did a oil change in my 2500 HD duramax and WOW did it change the way it ran. i used amsoil 15-40 in that. big inprovment im going to try it in the car and its time but it cost alot more, But it has been around secne the 70s.

in the end as long as you change it alot and used good oil you will be fine i change my oil 2000 miles becuase your oil will get drity alot faster when you are running so much boost and fuel. just my 2 cents hope this helps out

Tom
Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys for all the input
Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy 92 RS
No one will ever agree on one oil that is the best. For example, I disagree with this:

As long as you are a running a full synthetic oil, that's really all that matters in the end. I have been a very strict Mobil 1 user over the years, but I have now moved onto Castrol Edge. German Castrol Syntec is another good one (only comes in 0W30).

A little piece of info: Castrol is the only oil company that does their own engineering in-house as far as i'm aware. Other oil companies order a "black box" of additives they want in their oil from 3rd parties, as opposed to Castrol doing it all within their own facility.
Talk to the guy sarge on ls1.com he is an oil fanatic. I also have done some extensive reading on which oil to use anf PP has better shearing characteristics them Mobil 1. Or at least that is what the tests say. I am not saying mobil 1 is a bad oil but for a few bucks less you can have a better oil with Pennzoil Platinum.

Quick Reply: best oil for turbo/prcharged