Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Worried my car is going to get stolen...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are still making payments make very sure you have gap insurance. It is cheap and saved me 10k a few years back. Cops found my car wrecked and burned.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks Bro, All you can do is try to add a kill switch and start looking to move. I am sure there is house rentals out there that wont break the bank.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I normally unplug my coil packs if I'm public and/or pull the starter and fuel relays. Get one of those gps trackers or just get a hoopty and park in a garage. At my first apartment I used to rent a storage unit next door in public storage and park the hoopty outside. Took a couple windows/stereos to figure that out. 150 a month and always stayed clean for me on the weekend good luck otherwise man!
Old 02-19-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I like all the ideas. But let's face it, we can't keep 24hr surveilance on our cars. I used to pull both the ignition relay and fuel pump relay from under the hood, but in an apartment complex the likely situation is that they will tow it away.

Nobody really questions a tow truck.....could be a repo, could be an illegally parked car. People just don't pay as much attention to tow trucks.

I usually keep the wheels turned all the away in case someone tries to tow my car, they will take up 2 lanes on the street while pulling it. That way it'll hopefully catch a cops attention on the street.

Only thing you can do is prepare yourself with good insurance and hope they will cover all the mods.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

a lot of these ideas are good but if someone has a flatbed then what?
Old 02-19-2010, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Nuff said..
Old 02-19-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Flatbed is unlikely in an apartment complex. You normally don't have enough space to manuever in the parking lot and it takes too long to chain up, pull, and strap down.

Most wanna get in and get out quick. It'll definitely be a regular tow truck.

Originally Posted by 180ls1
a lot of these ideas are good but if someone has a flatbed then what?
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just my opinion...you need to move outta there man. Like it was mentioned earlier, most important thing is to make sure they don't get away with ur car. But if they can't, and get pissed and just phuk ur car up, that alone could make ur claim a total loss. It sucks that we can't just park our cars somewhere without worrying about some loser piece of sh*t messing with it. But, that's sometimes the reality of owning a nice car. Even if you mounted a set of hidden cameras in the interior somewhere, and sent the images to a remote recording device via an IR signal, you still have to hope someone will recognize the thieves in the video in order to obtain an arrest.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Teching In

Kill switches wont work, cars with well hidden kill switches are stolen all the time from my place of employment. I think a removable steering wheel would be ideal to prevent your ride from getting jacked. Good luck brotha!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 AM
Launching!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

You don't live in Van Nuys do you?....
Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Bad Penny
Kill switches wont work, cars with well hidden kill switches are stolen all the time from my place of employment. I think a removable steering wheel would be ideal to prevent your ride from getting jacked. Good luck brotha!
Why don't kill switches work? How are they defeated?
Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Kill switch ftw....And only tell your mom where it is lol
Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AznMuscle
Horn set up FTW. I want that. Or move back to AZ...... Nevermind, that wont be any better
I was about to say....
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the ideas guys... I think for now until I can get a kill switch I'll probably start pulling some fuses...

Damn Geico wants to do an inspection on my car before they'll "UP" my insurance, so it'll take a couple days for that all to go through. Hope nothing happens before then...

Oh and PIZDETS the car is paid-off, has been for a while now, so my biggest loss would be my mods I would think... GEICO is already raping me with their rates, it's ridiculous. And I have a clean driving record with discounts too!!! My only guess is because I'm a single 27 year old male... who knows...
Old 02-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Soul TKR

Oh and PIZDETS the car is paid-off, has been for a while now, so my biggest loss would be my mods I would think... GEICO is already raping me with their rates, it's ridiculous. And I have a clean driving record with discounts too!!! My only guess is because I'm a single 27 year old male... who knows...
It's the car! My vettes have been my cheapest car to insure with them. My F-body always were 150-200 more a year. Being single doesn't help but it's not that bad.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM
11 Second Club

i would rig a bomb to it. that way whoever tries to steal it will die. unfortunately so will your car......

but at least you get the satisfaction of knowing that you killed a thief
Old 02-19-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by m6ttop
x2 too bad there's no coil to distributor wire
You can always disconnect both coil packs...

Originally Posted by mattzoom
get a train horn alarm, that **** will wake up your whole apartment complex
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSOoNTSPdmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0tDmv-70WI
Awesome!
Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SS#2906
I like all the ideas. But let's face it, we can't keep 24hr surveilance on our cars. I used to pull both the ignition relay and fuel pump relay from under the hood, but in an apartment complex the likely situation is that they will tow it away.

Nobody really questions a tow truck.....could be a repo, could be an illegally parked car. People just don't pay as much attention to tow trucks.

I usually keep the wheels turned all the away in case someone tries to tow my car, they will take up 2 lanes on the street while pulling it. That way it'll hopefully catch a cops attention on the street.

Only thing you can do is prepare yourself with good insurance and hope they will cover all the mods.
Yeah, didn't think about that. I've seen those repo guys on TV, they are pros at silently dragging a car out of a driveway...
Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

up the sensitivity on your alarm, pull some fuses and have your wheels turned when parked.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
Thanks for the ideas guys... I think for now until I can get a kill switch I'll probably start pulling some fuses...

Damn Geico wants to do an inspection on my car before they'll "UP" my insurance, so it'll take a couple days for that all to go through. Hope nothing happens before then...

Geico just sucks, get a different Ins company. I ever see that salamander anywhere he's fish bait.

Quick Reply: Worried my car is going to get stolen...