Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Are you prepared for a disaster???

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 04:06 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Are you prepared for a disaster???

I typed this up for a friend who asked then decided to post on FB and my forums, figured I'd post here as well...

Everyone needs a bag they can just grab if there is an emergency and be able to survive out of it for a few days. I've compiled a list of ESSENTIALS that you can add to.

First, you need a good bag. I recommend this one...

http://www.amazon.com/MOLLE-Military...=3U0C2YRHP6SBF

It is a good bag that you can add more pouches to if you need to and you can add a Camelbak (water bladder) to it. Just buy an anti-microbial one and you can keep water stored in it for a long time.

Basically you need a bag that you would consider a "weekender" (like a 3 day bag) with the same stuff you'd need on a weekend trip plus a little...

I would recommend a grab bag with:

CASH- Lower denominations the better. We keep $1000 on hand.

FOOD- The best way to go is buy some MRE's (Military- Meals Ready to Eat). You can buy anywhere on line. At least have snacks that last a long time (beef jerky, canned food, etc...) but you're best off just buying some MRE's. One a day (per person) will go a long way. Have at least 3 (per person).

CLOTHES- 3 Pairs of socks, one pair of pants, one pair of shorts, 3 pairs of underwear, a couple t-shirts and a good (warm) jacket/sweater (this is all per person)

MEDICINE- Whatever prescriptions you have (just put 5-7 days worth in), antacids and pain killers.

FIRST AID KIT- A decent one. I don't just mean band aids and neo sporin, I mean something with a blood clotter, etc... and first aid book.

MAPS- Detailed of the area in case roads are closed and then ones of the state and surrounding states.

WATER PURIFIERS/WATER SUPPLY- A good earthquake can knock water out for up to 6 months. Get a bunch of purifying tables and a collapsible container (for like water at campsites). Also be good to have those water bottles with the built in charcoal filters (I carried one around India).

FIRE- Stick a bunch of lighters in different places and get a fire starter like this as back up

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s-...ci_sku=8586954

TOOLS- A multi-purpose tool (like a good Leatherman), a combination Solar Powered/Hand Crank Radio/Flashlight/Acc. Charger/Weather Band like this...

http://www.amazon.com/American-ARCFR...=pd_sbs_misc_2

and a weapon/entry tool to stick on the side of the bag...

http://images.sogknives.biz/Lg/2094_...l_Tomahawk.jpg

"EMERGENCY" ITEMS- Those little packs you can buy at any outdoors type store (Sports Authority, etc...). The emergency rain poncho, emergency blanket, etc... The real stuff is better (some rain gear, a sleeping bag, etc...) this will do.

SLEEP ITEM- Sleeping bag is best, a good roll up fleece blanket will do.

TOILETRIES: Put some feminine products in there and some small items like soap, shampoo, deodorant, tooth brush tooth paste, etc... THESE WILL GO A LONG WAY TO HELPING YOU KEEP YOUR SANITY AND SENSE OF NORMALITY DURING A DISASTER.

PERSONAL ITEMS: Simply put, a photo album with your favorite family pics, etc... ALSO, a portable hard drive with ALL YOUR IMPORTANT INFORMATION (from bank accounts to CCs to photos) may pay dividends later.

DEFENSE: I already mentioned the Tomahawk, lol. A gun of course (if you're trained with it) but at the VERY LEAST a good knife that is easy to reach. Pepper Spray is good to have as well.

ENTERTAINMENT- Deck of cards will go a long way. A blow up beach ball or freesbie aren't too shabby either.

BARTERING ITEMS- Smokes and Airplane Size Bottles of Booze might do you better than cash.

Finally, KNOWLEDGE. Like the fact you can get water out of a chlorinated pool, let it sit in the sun for a few hours to a day and then drink it and it is perfectly healthy. Or the fact that you can carry some iodine and use it for cuts or to purify water.

Basically, this bag is just the essentials of what you need to survive if your home is destroyed in an earth quake or if you have to evacuate. I'm sure there is stuff I'm not thinking of and if you just go around your house you'll find most of this stuff and maybe some stuff to add.

Remember, after a disaster you could be on the road in your car (ALWAYS FILL YOUR CAR UP WHEN YOU GET TO HALF A TANK. You don't want to have a horrible earthquake, need to get out of area and find out your car is on empty), or you could be sleeping on the street. This is just BASIC preparations.

To go further, you should have tools in your car for anything your car might need (extra oil, filters, water, belts, tire plug, etc...) and also some stashed MRE's and Water just in case.

I would HIGHLY recommend learning to use a hand gun and purchasing one. This town riots when the Lakers win, let alone when they don't have access to food/water for a day or two.

LASTLY, you may see this as kooky but I don't care, get some of these...

http://www.ki4u.com/

They are potassium iodide pills. God forbid there is a nuclear blast, but if there is pop a pill and you don't die from radiation. The way radiation kills you is by being absorbed in your thyroid. This blocks it from happening. Not some internet myth, this is what the government hands out it is just usually too late by that point. Have some in the bag or even in a pill bottle on your person.

I KNOW THIS LIST IS OVERWHELMING but just get it little by little as you're out. Pray you never need it but you will thank God you have it if you do.

You wouldn't ride in your car without a seat belt, don't live in earthquake central without a plan. Ignorance isn't bliss, it is hell.

M
Old 04-07-2010, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I went thru Katrina, we had 6 ft of water in our home, they might also add a laptop so you can access all your stuff you do on the internet plus it helps to watch movies if your stuck somewhere without a tv which we were...no fun. Hope no one needs this.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add an iPhone to that bag!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Being prepared always helps. Nice 6LE!
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Launching!

So....do you keep the 1000 cash and all the other goodies in the green bag?

Where do you live, I uhh want to do a will call on something I ordered
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add the fleshlight. Juss sayin lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by m6ttop
Add an phone to that bag!
In a real serious emergency cell phones won't work! After Katrina for several weeks we had NO service thru att cell phones In fact, the only way we could talk was to go to a walmart a hundred miles away we found on a gas run by accident, that was open for a few hours a day after you stood in a line like at the DMV, we bought a few boost mobile phones with the push to talk feature and talked between those. Most cell towers were either torn down or without electricity, even tho most had generators, the ones that were up and running were inundated with calls and you just got that "call cannot go thru now message". So in essence, cell phones were obsolete, CB/Ham radios worked too if you had battery supply. Satellite phones on the other hand...but honestly who has the $ for one of those.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1

Thats what I am saying. LOL.

Fleshlight hahaha, wow why not just go find a couple of cute chicks and say ladies it looks like the world is ending would you share these last minutes with me? And of course since they are cute/beautiful, they are dumb and will fall for your every move. LMAO (and then I woke up, well it is a nice dream right?)
Old 04-07-2010, 01:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Thats what I am saying. LOL.

Fleshlight hahaha, wow why not just go find a couple of cute chicks and say ladies it looks like the world is ending would you share these last minutes with me? And of course since they are cute/beautiful, they are dumb and will fall for your every move. LMAO (and then I woke up, well it is a nice dream right?)
Sounds like a pretty good dream to me lol.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Good stuff!
Old 04-07-2010, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
In a real serious emergency cell phones won't work! After Katrina for several weeks we had NO service thru att cell phones .
Most of the time AT&T doesn't work anyway.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

funny, with all the earthquakes, floods, tsunami's, the teenage girls in Russia, and Osama i was just telling the mrs. that we need to do this.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1

Bag isn't green but I DO keep my Glock on me with the 12 gauge and .357 never too far from reach
Old 04-07-2010, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't mean for calling... I meant for Internet and info but I guess that wouldn't work either
TECH Apprentice

hey, another thing remeber when you where young and your mother made an emergency kit yearly for you to take to school. what happened to that the kids don't have to do that anymore? just noticed that the other day
TECH Junkie

Does anyone know how long ammo is good for?

I still have 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 that I've had for a while.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Yeah, forget about cells in an emergency. Actually, if you HAVE to contact someone using it then text them. 99% better chance of going through.

Also, if you have the money, just buy this because it has a two way radio feature to contact emergency services, in case you don't have your cell:

http://www.amazon.com/product/dp/B0014SWPZK
Old 04-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Does anyone know how long ammo is good for?

I still have 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 that I've had for a while.
Depends on how it is stored...
Old 04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I typed this up for a friend who asked then decided to post on FB and my forums, figured I'd post here as well...

CASH- Lower denominations the better. We keep $1000 on hand.

M
I try to keep at least a grand in the safe but always hundred dollar bills to make it easier to count, never realized that in a situation that people arent really going to be able to make change. Great point and a great list
Old 04-07-2010, 05:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 383lt1impala
Add the fleshlight. Juss sayin lol.
A man with his priorities in hand...

Quick Reply: Are you prepared for a disaster???