Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Tuner can't tune my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 209ryder
And that is exactly it cause he does all his own work, blower setups, turbo cars, and fab work and basically everything out of his shop. He does it all really and by himself at that. +1 RICK@SYNERGY
i feel his pain on the work issues, i speak to rick on regular basis, he is a sharp dude... take it from another tuner, the guy knows how to tune plain and simple, i have also heard great things about nick at newtech.... i dont think anyone can go wrong going to either place.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nickn20
I totally agree with you, people dont understand, my experience and cars built and tuned speaks for itself, from the data logs and AFR if the power was to be found I would have found it, it just wasnt there. As far as the price goes, the car was on my dyno two times, not once. Hopefuilly that will clear up some confusion as to a justification of my pricing, even though us CA shops put up with way more BS and cost of operation than most of the country, I feel we are very competitive with the rest of the nation.

I support my customers at all times, they can call me anytime, stop by the shop and talk about their car and their tune as Azrael had posted earlier that I did for him and his wife.

I claimed the AFR and timing were there to show the cars power, meaning AFR was mid to upper 12s and timing was decent but still a tad conservative, there was no way 40 hp was missing from adding a few degrees and leaning out to 13.2 which I wont do for cars leaving my dyno anyway. I didn't diagnose anything I made suggestions as to by why the car doesn't make the power as expected, when tuning a car we didnt work on thats all I can really do.

Nick
100% agree, these people bring you dicked up setups that they did in there driveway, the car is screwed up mechanically and they expect the tuner to fix all the problems with the tune... simply not going to happen....if the a/f ratio is high 12's and timing decent 26ish i imagine with no knock retard, there is no way there is 40 hp sitting there in the tune, safe or not... nick i feel your pain i deal with the same crap, its very frustrating people expect you to work for free... people also complain about the prices, well your paying for the knowledge and expertise.... you dont bitch about the price to a doctor about a surgery right? why? because your paying for his expertise and knowledge.... with that being said there are bad doctors out there and as well bad tuners.... i know that is an extreme example but that is the best way i can describe it
Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i feel his pain on the work issues, i speak to rick on regular basis, he is a sharp dude... take it from another tuner, the guy knows how to tune plain and simple, i have also heard great things about nick at newtech.... i dont think anyone can go wrong going to either place.
yeah i just met a guy where i live he just went all teh wya out there to get his tuned finished up from you guys .he is on here sik02ss. cool *** guy nice silver ss also. so you guys must be doing something right over there lol Yeah i talk to rick quite abit on my setup and otehr setups. And he is always busy.Like i posted he is a one man shop so not a lot of time for phone and bs time you know. he had a few things going on the other day we went over there. A blower going on a lifted truck it was a maggie, and than he had soem other stuff going on too. i know a few setups he has done like the joker the turbo gto. And car rips for sure.Ninetres the turbo camaro he didnt build but he did tune it and that car ******* is amazing !! and will go nowhere else but rick. Alot of people sware by him and alot of otehrs liek nick.which is cool people turned thsi from a problem to a shop war lol.

My boy everardo got tuend by nick and his car moves out for what it has for sure.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=Nickn20;13385775]I have about 1500 cars tuned under my belt, I guess people finally caught on to me and I cant tune!

I have seen a few othere tuners claim to have tuned over 1000 cars also, wow there is crazy money in the tuning field , i am sure there is allot of time to learn this stuff but the results are pretty good ,dollar wise 1500 X $550 = $825,000 in tuning alone. even at half price you could still do well, seems like a good field of work!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by STMPDUST
I have seen a few othere tuners claim to have tuned over 1000 cars also, wow there is crazy money in the tuning field , i am sure there is allot of time to learn this stuff but the results are pretty good ,dollar wise 1500 X $550 = $825,000 in tuning alone. even at half price you could still do well, seems like a good field of work!
Not when you take into consideration what the initial investment of a good dyno and all the accompanying parts, then rent on a building especially in the bay area, not to mention all the money, equipment, and time he has into tuning cars. Obviously Nick is business to make money. But the going rate for a good tune is what the prices are based off and Nick is the shizzzz.

I'm a poor boy so I had Jesus @ newtech tune my car
Old 05-28-2010, 09:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by PICNIC_GEORGE
Not when you take into consideration what the initial investment of a good dyno and all the accompanying parts, then rent on a building especially in the bay area, not to mention all the money, equipment, and time he has into tuning cars. Obviously Nick is business to make money. But the going rate for a good tune is what the prices are based off and Nick is the shizzzz.

I'm a poor boy so I had Jesus @ newtech tune my car

You got it, even if I didn't have massive overhead I've been tuning for about 8 years so spread that out and take in to consideration overhead, its not so great. I also run a business as well as tune.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nickn20
You got it, even if I didn't have massive overhead I've been tuning for about 8 years so spread that out and take in to consideration overhead, its not so great. I also run a business as well as tune.
Well i would play it down also, 1500 cars over 8 years = just under $8000 a month just from tuning,(thats working 52 weeks a year with no time off,working less then this means you make even more per week)) plus other business income you are doing really well even if shop space was 2-3 dollars a month per foot(which is pretty high) and dyno payments of 800-1000 a month you are golden with the other work you are doing , the foot print of the dyno is maybe 350 sq. feet , you are doing well
Old 05-29-2010, 01:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by STMPDUST
Well i would play it down also, 1500 cars over 8 years = just under $8000 a month just from tuning,(thats working 52 weeks a year with no time off,working less then this means you make even more per week)) plus other business income you are doing really well even if shop space was 2-3 dollars a month per foot(which is pretty high) and dyno payments of 800-1000 a month you are golden with the other work you are doing , the foot print of the dyno is maybe 350 sq. feet , you are doing well
what is your purpose of this post.... are trying to say he is lying about how many cars he has tuned? or saying he is millionaire? his personal finances are none of your concern, nor do you know his own personal situation....
i have been tuning for 4 years now, and i have around 300 cars under my belt, and its only growing exponentially as people realize my work and i tune more and more cars.... i am sure you can call b.s. on my figure also
Old 05-29-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wicked-98
I install new chromemoly pushrods dual patriot valve springs and seals and ti retainers on stock size head gaskets.I did consider the idea about maybe the valves not seating right or floating but I don't have any unusual noise that I can detect of.I also noticed that I'll get a pop in the exhaust every once in a while.I got an old auto tap that I'm gonna use to see what is happening.hopefully I can remember how to use the damn thing.It feels like the timing could be off but I lack the necessary experiance.I do know that some blower cams have timing ground into them (+2 or +4 etc.) but I am by no means knowledgable.Worse case scenario is that I end up getting a new cam for it. Could it be that whatever sensor is used for the timing is bad ( I think its the cam or crank sensor).I appreciate any insight good or bad
im curious to what head gaskets have to do with valve springs ?
but it does raise the question of did you have the heads off?
did you have any machining while there off?
and did you measure your pushrod length?
Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

what is your purpose of this post.... are trying to say he is lying about how many cars he has tuned? or saying he is millionaire? his personal finances are none of your concern, nor do you know his own personal situation....
i have been tuning for 4 years now, and i have around 300 cars under my belt, and its only growing exponentially as people realize my work and i tune more and more cars.... i am sure you can call b.s. on my figure also
Never called bs on anything,never called anyone a liar,he posted his personal numbers just as you did on this public board. just stating that tuning cars is a good business that is pretty profitable,i am not judging anyone,maybe a few young people or old people might see this as an avenue to make some money in the future, i think that is a pretty good reason for my post , if others dont, and find my post offencive, i am sorry i did not mean to step on anyones toes.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

tuning is very profitable, but its stressful, and people expect to tuner to fix all their mechanical/electrical problems with a tune, and if anything happens its always to tuners fault.... even if the issue has no relation to the tune
Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

did anyone read my original post lol .I just wanted some opinions about the way my car is running so I can chose my next objective on getting the car to run right
Old 06-20-2010, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

curious, what did u end up dynoing?
Old 06-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Launching!

tuning is very profitable, but its stressful, and people expect to tuner to fix all their mechanical/electrical problems with a tune, and if anything happens its always to tuners fault.... even if the issue has no relation to the tune
Freaken amen to that.I hate that myself.I couldnt have said that any better.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by elky489
Freaken amen to that.I hate that myself.I couldnt have said that any better.
its on going issue i have....in fact few members on this board in particular have tried to blame my tune for there screwed up mechanical/electrical installs.... it has honestly made me jaded, not quite as giving as i used to be... i used to go ahead and fix minor install issues on the dyno myself free of charge , but i have been burned by these individuals, so now i just either tell the customer bring it back when its fixed or give them a quote to fix the issue...

Quick Reply: Tuner can't tune my car