Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Pulled over for tinted headlights and tailights

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
You still dont make any sense.

If you have a vehicle that is LEGAL in another state, the one its registered in, then its legal in any other state for the most part minus a few states that have certain stipulations to some laws.
Not even close.... How about you start reading the laws, instead of spewing crap?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Launching!

You still dont make any sense.

If you have a vehicle that is LEGAL in another state, the one its registered in, then its legal in any other state for the most part minus a few states that have certain stipulations to some laws.
Originally Posted by spicy
I just called the local CHP office and asked what the rules were about out of state vehicles vs california vehicle laws. They said that it states ANY vehicle in the state of california regardless of registration must follow the laws. He did say that if you do get pulled over for tint and explain that you are just visiting they usually let you go without a problem.
Thank you!

Like I said, read the laws and stop being an e-douche. Do I make sense now?
Old 06-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mbrownin
Exactly, unless I perhaps planned to be driving regularly in California, that ticket would go straight into the wastebasket.
Not a good idea. If you fail to take care of a ticket in another state, they will notify the state you are licensed in and your license will be suspended in both states. Yes both, because the other state will issue you a drivers license number for their record keeping.

I understand the temptation tho.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pshsh I say you find the LEO and dick whip him. That solves everything, every war could be avoided by a dick whipping.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

E-douche?

Wow. Got to love ls1tech and its big bad bullies.

I guess CA is the dad to VA. I live in Indiana and have never been hassled when going to Illinois for my tint or for not having a front plate. So if I ever travel to CA and Im in my car, I can get a ticket for no front license plate even though my state issues one? HAHAHAHHA BS.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I really wish Cali wasn't so ghey when it comes to this sort of stuff.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

So if I ever travel to CA and Im in my car, I can get a ticket for no front license plate even though my state issues one? HAHAHAHHA BS.
Correct, unless you can prove you are just visiting. That goes for every vehicle law.

Since driving is considered a privilege, not a right, you have to conform to the laws if you want to take advantage of the privilege.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Minacious
Correct, unless you can prove you are just visiting. That goes for every vehicle law.
Ive traveled through and too many two plate states and NEVER been hassled once as soon as they see my license and insurance is from another state. Same with tint.

I guess CA is just an e-douche state.

I cant magically make my car have another license plate when the state issues one. It just does not make sense. Should I register my car in CA for 4 days if Im visiting family? How the hell does that work?
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well they are not e-douches if they are giving you the ticket in person now are they? lol.

Cops out here can be dicks just depends I have always been honest and cool with cops and they are pretty cool with me.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, did some digging. Of course, I figured out what the deal was and that I was right with the plates.

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.
(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Ive traveled through and too many two plate states and NEVER been hassled once as soon as they see my license and insurance is from another state. Same with tint.

I guess CA is just an e-douche state.

I cant magically make my car have another license plate when the state issues one. It just does not make sense. Should I register my car in CA for 4 days if Im visiting family? How the hell does that work?
It's not just California, many states follow this same practice. Again, if you can prove you are visiting, it should not be an issue. This is the reason many states want a vehicle being regularly driven in the state to be registered within a certain amount of time.

LEOs that issue a ticket even after being told you are visiting, and showing them a license, registration and insurance from another state, are not necessarily trying to make your life miserable. They are simply enforcing the law that the state has put in place in order to drive there. Being a visitor doesn't excuse you from following the laws, but in almost all cases you would be given a warning and let go if all documents are in order, unless you have been pulled over for something other than tint or an improperly displayed license.

I don't know which states, but I believe there are a couple that don't allow a vehicle to be driven at all unless registered there.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Launching!

Just because you aren't 'hassled' by LEO's in other states, does not mean you are abiding by their laws.

And yes: When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof

But what you don't understand is they ALWAYS issue two plates. The only time they don't issue two is for motorcycles and trailers I believe. They are simply clarifying where the plate you were issued should reside on the vehicle.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Launching!

Oh, would you looky there...

Truck Tractor: Display of Plates
4850.5. (a) Notwithstanding subdivision (a) of Section 4850 and Section 5200, the department, upon registering a truck tractor, shall issue to the owner one suitable license plate or other device which identifies the vehicle for which it is issued and for the period of its validity. The license plate or other device shall be attached to the front of the vehicle.
(b) This section shall become operative only when and if the Department of the California Highway Patrol implements a program which requires identifying numbers on the right and left sides of truck tractors.

Added Ch. 183, Stats. 1985. Effective January 1, 1986.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
On The Tree

... This is the reason many states want a vehicle being regularly driven in the state to be registered within a certain amount of time.
The reason is more likely so that the state can realize the revenue that comes from having to register the car in that state, be it registration fees, sales tax, personal property tax, etc.

I don't know which states, but I believe there are a couple that don't allow a vehicle to be driven at all unless registered there.
Site some documentation for this one, or I call BS.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mbrownin
Site some documentation for this one, or I call BS.
As I implied, I don't know which ones, or even if this is a certain thing. Just something I heard in passing. It very well could be nonsense.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by waynehartwig
But what you don't understand is they ALWAYS issue two plates. The only time they don't issue two is for motorcycles and trailers I believe. They are simply clarifying where the plate you were issued should reside on the vehicle.
Or in states where they only issue ONE plate like Indiana.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Colorado requires military personal to register their vehicle with the state even if they clame a different state as home of record (meaning they pay taxes to a different state).
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1177024843160
Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Teching In

it should have been just a FINE and NOT a fix-it ticket.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
If the person does not reside in cali though they can just get it signed off by and LEO in their state of residence and pay the fix it fine. This is from what i recall, but alas I am no LEO nor am I a lawyer.
But I did reside in Cali and I still got it signed off...
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or in states where they only issue ONE plate like Indiana.
Okay they issue one plate. It still does not change the fact that you must conform to the laws of the state that you are driving in. It has been mentioned already that if you explain that you are just visiting for a few days they will most likely let you go. However, if they do issue you a citation just go get it signed off when you get back into your state and pay the $25. It's really not a big deal and I don't see why people are getting so worked up over it.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for tinted headlights and tailights