Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

CHP officer dies. Suspected killer drives a Pontiac.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Suspected killer drives a Pontiac, well if this was reported on Fox News, that means the police should be looking for a wrecked Camaro...
Old 06-28-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
I didn't know that.
I do it naturally.
I pull to the side when a emergency vehicle is coming.
When a emergency vehicle is parked on the side of a street or fwy, I simply move one lane to the left and slow my mphs down to 15-20, like a school zone speed.
some people even slow down on the opposite of the fwy when there is a accident on the other side, both sides slow down even when they pull over a car.
It always amazed me (when I lived in Arcadia) how the Asian drivers out there would not know what to do when an emergency vehicle would be coming down the street with its lights & sirens on.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah people traveling the other way should not be slowing down, Cali amazes me with people who get scared, if the cop is pulled over on the side of the freeway you must either switch lanes, or if that is not an option you are to slow down to a safe speed in the right lane, opposing traffic should not be slowing wayyy down, thats just rubberknecking and that creates unnecessary traffic.

Dave I know what you mean about Arcadia drivers, holy ****, I try to avoid driving there period as I have almost had 2 major accidents there due to people pulling out in front of me, trying to turn into me, stopping for no reason except their sun vidor dropped in their face.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see how my post is insensitive. It is the state that is insensitive. A safe approach would be to minimize traffic stops to issue infractions such as exceeding 65mph. Less stops means less chance of incidents, but no they are pushing for more stops to increase revenue in these tough times.

Especially stops during rush hour. They've been a little more lenient lately, but a few months ago I'd see at least 3-4 cars pulled over on the side of the freeway on the way home between 3-4pm daily. This caused huge delays in traffic and also caused many typical low speed collisions.

I'm sorry this guy got killed, but damn if a fatality happened at my job, it sure as hell wouldn't be repeated the same way. You find a safe way or it isn't done. Zero Harm 2012.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

A lot of CHP units will have the driver get off the freeway, probably for that very reason.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BeavermanA
I don't see how my post is insensitive. It is the state that is insensitive. A safe approach would be to minimize traffic stops to issue infractions such as exceeding 65mph. Less stops means less chance of incidents, but no they are pushing for more stops to increase revenue in these tough times.

Especially stops during rush hour. They've been a little more lenient lately, but a few months ago I'd see at least 3-4 cars pulled over on the side of the freeway on the way home between 3-4pm daily. This caused huge delays in traffic and also caused many typical low speed collisions.

I'm sorry this guy got killed, but damn if a fatality happened at my job, it sure as hell wouldn't be repeated the same way. You find a safe way or it isn't done. Zero Harm 2012.
Its insensitive because an officer whos job it is to protect you has lost his life because some looser, probably drunk, airhead either fell asleep or wasnt paying attention and you seem to think the fix for this is to not pull people over and give tickets. Now that officers wife will live on without her husband and children will grow up without a father, but according to you the world would be a better place if nobody got tickets???

As was stated before, you are supposed to change lanes when an ambulance or police car is on the shoulder with its lights on...the lights are not on so that the driver knows to stay there, they are on so that passing motorists pay attention. Those huge delays you speak of are because the majority of people cant simply pay attention to the road but have to slow down so they can "rubberneck".

Not trying to be a complete a**hole but I have many friends that are police officers including my best friend and im considering going into that myself.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
A lot of CHP units will have the driver get off the freeway, probably for that very reason.
Yep, both of my encounters with the CHP they told me to exit and stop on the ramp. Still potentially dangerous, but safer than the fw shoulder. Should be standard procedure unless they believe the driver is too impaired to continue safely.

I hate when I'm forced to stop on the shoulder for vehicle failures, you are a target, being stopped with cars and big rigs going 2ft from your car at 60mph is not comforting.

I pull into a driveway or small residential street when city cops pull me over. Also protection for yourself and property from dumbasses.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Its insensitive because an officer whos job it is to protect you has lost his life because some looser, probably drunk, airhead either fell asleep or wasnt paying attention and you seem to think the fix for this is to not pull people over and give tickets. Now that officers wife will live on without her husband and children will grow up without a father, but according to you the world would be a better place if nobody got tickets???

As was stated before, you are supposed to change lanes when an ambulance or police car is on the shoulder with its lights on...the lights are not on so that the driver knows to stay there, they are on so that passing motorists pay attention. Those huge delays you speak of are because the majority of people cant simply pay attention to the road but have to slow down so they can "rubberneck".

Not trying to be a complete a**hole but I have many friends that are police officers including my best friend and im considering going into that myself.
I never said don't give tickets period. They can do without the rush hour infractions though, people just want to get home. It would be safer for everyone.

Sorry if that's cold but holy **** the traffic here is fucked enough at 4pm without having to force traffic down another lane every few miles to pass a cop writing a simple moving violation. If they direct them off the freeway fine, but that needs to be a rule, not a decision.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Traffic blows because no one knows what a fast lane is. The autobahn is so safe and efficient beacuse slower cars HAVE to yeild right for faster cars. Cops should be writing tickets for the idiots driving 60 mph in the fast or carpool lanes.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
Traffic blows because no one knows what a fast lane is. The autobahn is so safe and efficient beacuse slower cars HAVE to yeild right for faster cars. Cops should be writing tickets for the idiots driving 60 mph in the fast or carpool lanes.
Yessir!
Old 06-28-2010, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also on the autobahn they have a pretty awesome traffic system that they catch you on camera and send your ticket in the mail to your house with a nice little picture then base the ticket off of how much money you make.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never said don't give tickets period. They can do without the rush hour infractions though, people just want to get home. It would be safer for everyone.

Sorry if that's cold but holy **** the traffic here is fucked enough at 4pm without having to force traffic down another lane every few miles to pass a cop writing a simple moving violation. If they direct them off the freeway fine, but that needs to be a rule, not a decision.
So it would be safer if everyone just went 90 mph?

Most CHP wont even bother pulling a car over unless it is going over 80 mph, which is 15 mph over...the reason they pull people over is that if 85 were ok then people would go 90, then that would have to be acceptable so people would go 100mph, and it would go on and on.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Also on the autobahn they have a pretty awesome traffic system that they catch you on camera and send your ticket in the mail to your house with a nice little picture then base the ticket off of how much money you make.
I also think there are alot less people on the roads, at the very least they are smarter than the average southern californian.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also think there are alot less people on the roads, at the very least they are smarter than the average southern californian.
No they teach their kids how to drive a lot better than we do here, they are taught with emphasis that driving is a privilege not a right and they enjoy driving. This was from a couple friends of mine whose families are from Germany and retain dual citizenship.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 AM
Staging Lane

Why not just factory limit all vehicles to 70mph if safety is the concern? I wonder what would happen if everyone agreed to strictly not exceed the posted max speed for a month? They'd be pulling people over left and right for every code violation possible.
Safety is just an excuse; that's what they say the red light cameras are for. Not the 1 million plus a single camera can generate a month. And LA had to break the Arizona boycott to renew the contract.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I thought exiting the freeway for a traffic stop was mandatory. I never stop on the shoulder of the freeway. I exit and pull into a gas station.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 AM
10 Second Club

why is it that everyone blames it on a drunk when something happens. i would bet it was either done on purpose by some asswipe or by accident by someone with a phone stuck in their ear or even worse texting.

i have respect for law officers that respect me back. problem is i have never seen one show me even a little respect. where im from the first thing out of their mouths is always "you got any dope in your car cause im gonna search it?"

to everyone of them
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
why is it that everyone blames it on a drunk when something happens. i would bet it was either done on purpose by some asswipe or by accident by someone with a phone stuck in their ear or even worse texting.

i have respect for law officers that respect me back. problem is i have never seen one show me even a little respect. where im from the first thing out of their mouths is always "you got any dope in your car cause im gonna search it?"

to everyone of them
lol!.... Just say "no, sir" when they ask. Not a big deal. Your making more of it that it is!
Old 06-29-2010, 04:19 AM
TECH Junkie

1st off... Prayers to the family... no matter what ones job is, it's sad to leave behind a wife and 3 kids. Especially at a young age.

-----------------------------------------------------

Now... onto my usual COP debate... LOL

Its insensitive because an officer whos job it is to protect you has lost his life
on the contrary... I don't consider "highway" patrol the branch that "protects me"... I have other "feelings" for them of which I'm pretty sure they are known but this isn't the right thread to go into that...

im considering going into that myself.
I don't know you....

Originally Posted by hlaalu
^^^THIS!!!!!

So it would be safer if everyone just went 90 mph?
YES!!!!!

Originally Posted by 402GOAT

to everyone of them
why is it I feel like you and I could go on a tirade for hours?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Addict

Why not just factory limit all vehicles to 70mph if safety is the concern?
Which brings up the question, how the hell can these American car companies make cars that go excess of 100 mph if it's illegal to do so in the first place?

Quick Reply: CHP officer dies. Suspected killer drives a Pontiac.