Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Buddy of mine I went to school with just got murdered by a cop...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carwatcher
Sounds like a racist with an anger problem messed with the wrong guy.
Dude not even true you know how many "black" guys have called me honkey/redneck/trailer trash when I would go out to clubs with my ex who was black? Why is it when a white guy calls a black guy a Monkey it is a racial slur but I can walk down old town Pasadena and be called these names or go to Hollywood and get the same reception by many Black guys?

When you are mad you say any word and for us "white" guys we know what pushes a "black" mans buttons and that is all a verbal disagreement is, how can I push this guys buttons to get him to fight, it is a matter of escalating a situation.

Wes man sorry to hear about your friend that cop deserves to be punished, so ridiculous that all he gets is a slap on the wrist right now, he should be suspended without pay and be sitting in a jail cell.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
he should be suspended without pay and be sitting in a jail cell.
YUP! Doubt it'll happen though...
Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He will be suspendid but with pay. Real fucked up reguardless. Like a cop shot my friend in the hand and he said he gun went off and like that bam there was no case.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Now you have my attention

Talking **** is no excuse to kill someone.

Anyone who is in approval of this needs their head examined.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

The fact of the matter is the cop shot an unarmed man, point blank. If I had pulled my Sig Sauer P226 on an unarmed man and executed him in a parking lot I would be looking at Murder 1, plain and simple. I hate how cops talk about being held to a higher stander than the rest of us but then getting off with **** like this. I hope the dude gets Murder 1 and gets the maximum penalty, even though I know for a fact that it won't happen.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll play defense for the cop real quick,

we still don't know the whole story, the marine could have grabbed for the gun. I think a captain (I would hope at least) would have restraint and wouldn't jeopardize his career and his life pulling a gun for no reason.

Still, the marine was unarmed and shot in a kill zone, not in an arm or a leg like police are trained.

The cop should have

A. stayed inside, minding his own business.
B. wait for an on duty cop to arrive (police were called)
C. grabbed a stun gun if anything

The cop SHOULD be sitting in jail right now awaiting a trial/sentence. period.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hlaalu
I'll play defense for the cop real quick,

we still don't know the whole story, the marine could have grabbed for the gun.
If I had a gun pulled on me, by what I think is a private citizen, and put it to my chest I would go for it. It's really your only move.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote from the article: “James sat in the truck, and the black male opened the door and told James, ‘I am going to kill you,'" said Edwards. "I yelled at the man that James was unarmed. James went to stand up, and James’ last words were, ‘You shot me.' The black man said, 'I sure did.’”

this pisses me off worse than anything.what a piece of **** excuse for law enforcement. it amazes me, honestly how such a worthless, garbage, piece of **** individual, made it as far as he did in the force. Goes to show how bad of shape our system is in.

FWIW, i personally think he should be hung in public and laughed at. I would usually never say this but the way he handled the whole thing, and how he treated him like **** all the way til the end, he deserves it.

The guy has gone to war to die for you if need be, and you shoot him....while hes unarmed. wow.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPLATT
Quote from the article: “James sat in the truck, and the black male opened the door and told James, ‘I am going to kill you,'" said Edwards. "I yelled at the man that James was unarmed. James went to stand up, and James’ last words were, ‘You shot me.' The black man said, 'I sure did.’”

this pisses me off worse than anything.what a piece of **** excuse for law enforcement. it amazes me, honestly how such a worthless, garbage, piece of **** individual, made it as far as he did in the force. Goes to show how bad of shape our system is in.

FWIW, i personally think he should be hung in public and laughed at. I would usually never say this but the way he handled the whole thing, and how he treated him like **** all the way til the end, he deserves it.

The guy has gone to war to die for you if need be, and you shoot him....while hes unarmed. wow.
I guess you missed that the "witness" you quoted (the deceased guy's friend) told a story that is contradictory to the story that the rest of the witnesses told police. The friend told a story that was obviously biased in his friend's favor. Understandable, but hardly a viable source. Everyone else told police that the man did identify himself as an officer inside the store.

Also note that the guy was being so belligerent that the parts guy decided to call the cops (before the off-duty officer even intervened).

Also note that this "incredible guy" was not only being that belligerent, but he also used racial slurs on the cop in front of hte officer's young daughter.

Considering the other witnesses who weren't the guys friend said the officer had identified himself in the store, it's obvious that he went to the truck to detain a guy who was trying to leave a scene that he had caused when an officer intended to detain him.

Everyone ignores all of that and blames the cop. The cop wanted to detain him, the guy went to get out of the truck and go towards him after acting the way he had been acting and using racial slurs. The cop did the right thing trying to detain him, the guy acted the WRONG way to act when that happens. Should he have DIED? Probably not, but what's an officer to do when someone has been that belligerent and used such slurs towards him (indicating volatility), and then heads towards him while a gun is pointed at him?

P.S. I don't care how mad you get, but being in the military and having a kid DOES NOT make you an incredible guy and DOES NOT automatically mean the guy was any more in the right than the officer was. They keep pointing out his military past as a way to say he's a perfect guy and it wasn't his fault. HELLO, he acted bad enough in the store to get the police called on him and he was slinging racial slurs, there was something obviously wrong with how he was handling himself.

Some guy causes a HUGE scene over not being able to return a part, big enough to have the police called, and then calls a guy a racial slur in front of the guys young daughter, but the guy OBVIOUSLY had nothing to do with the situation getting out of hand because he is an incredible guy based on past service? Give me a ****** break.

I'm not saying he might not have been an alright guy, a great friend, or anything else, but I am saying that his actions definitely did play a part in what happened. Blame the cop for overreacting? Put a little blame the guy that started it and was obviously way out of line in public? I'm not saying the cop didn't overreact, but the cop can't overreact to something if the other guy doesn't start something.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

correct^ i do not disagree with you. In fact i agree with most of that. i do think they were both in the wrong. However bad it sounds, racial slurs are not illegal, do i think he needed to use them? no, but then again did the cop need to shoot him?

As far as the being a great guy based on military service, i agree there as well. i am in the military and i see messed up people all the time, i know there are a ton. BUT the bothersome part to me,at least, was how he died. I mean, the chances of going over there so many times, and then getting killed by a police officer in your home town? Crazy, i guess it just kinda irritates me.

Does anyone think that if on duty police officers came, he would be dead? I dont. It was a bad decision on both parts, as well as overreaction on both parts...sadly, one was that extreme.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

thats really fucked i feel for his family ****** cop abusing his authority once again...****** shitty low
Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
I guess you missed that the "witness" you quoted (the deceased guy's friend) told a story that is contradictory to the story that the rest of the witnesses told police. The friend told a story that was obviously biased in his friend's favor. Understandable, but hardly a viable source. Everyone else told police that the man did identify himself as an officer inside the store.

Also note that the guy was being so belligerent that the parts guy decided to call the cops (before the off-duty officer even intervened).

Also note that this "incredible guy" was not only being that belligerent, but he also used racial slurs on the cop in front of hte officer's young daughter.

Considering the other witnesses who weren't the guys friend said the officer had identified himself in the store, it's obvious that he went to the truck to detain a guy who was trying to leave a scene that he had caused when an officer intended to detain him.

Everyone ignores all of that and blames the cop. The cop wanted to detain him, the guy went to get out of the truck and go towards him after acting the way he had been acting and using racial slurs. The cop did the right thing trying to detain him, the guy acted the WRONG way to act when that happens. Should he have DIED? Probably not, but what's an officer to do when someone has been that belligerent and used such slurs towards him (indicating volatility), and then heads towards him while a gun is pointed at him?

P.S. I don't care how mad you get, but being in the military and having a kid DOES NOT make you an incredible guy and DOES NOT automatically mean the guy was any more in the right than the officer was. They keep pointing out his military past as a way to say he's a perfect guy and it wasn't his fault. HELLO, he acted bad enough in the store to get the police called on him and he was slinging racial slurs, there was something obviously wrong with how he was handling himself.

Some guy causes a HUGE scene over not being able to return a part, big enough to have the police called, and then calls a guy a racial slur in front of the guys young daughter, but the guy OBVIOUSLY had nothing to do with the situation getting out of hand because he is an incredible guy based on past service? Give me a ****** break.

I'm not saying he might not have been an alright guy, a great friend, or anything else, but I am saying that his actions definitely did play a part in what happened. Blame the cop for overreacting? Put a little blame the guy that started it and was obviously way out of line in public? I'm not saying the cop didn't overreact, but the cop can't overreact to something if the other guy doesn't start something.
Out of everything you said, not one validates the reaction of the officer using deadly force.

He is a cop, and is supposed to be trained to handle these situations, and his reaction is one of a normal citizen with a gun and a temper.

Belligerent = death? NO
Using a racial slur (doesn't matter if his daughter heard it) = death? NO

I would expect a police officer, someone trained to handle these situations, to act more professional and not be phased by a belligerent person shouting racial epithets.

Soooo, given the worst-case scenario, does it justify deadly force? Absolutely not.

Lets also not forget that none of those "contradictory" witnesses were in the vehicle and heard that conversation either.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let's for one second entertain the thought that what if this were a white cop, but everything else was equal (pissed off, belligerent guy, cursing at a cop)?

Does the cop have the right to shoot him?

I say NO.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Let's for one second entertain the thought that what if this were a white cop, but everything else was equal (pissed off, belligerent guy, cursing at a cop)?

Does the cop have the right to shoot him?

I say NO.
Race shouldn't even be a factor at this point. I think first the press/police need to get one solid and credible story.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Launching!

first off this is very sad i just hope ther is more info and a deep investigation. the thing that is the worst about it is that he shot an unarmed man. the fact that he used a racial slur means absolutely nothing i know many sherrifs and police officers and they have told me daily whe arresting people they get worse things like that said to them... like "im gonna kill your daughter, im gonna rape your wife" stuff along those lines and hey.. what do you know they dont shoot them. having done 2 tours in iraq myself i can tell you its sometimes easy to get a little heated over stuff not saying its right but i know why it happens and i can tell you that if some off duty cop tryed to detain me just because i got angry and caused as scene i would have told him to get bent and wouldent have let him detain me either just the way things are
Old 08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, the racial slurs matter a LOT. It sets a precedent for how he was acting in public. When it is a known fact that he took that stance, it WILL be used to show the character he was displaying.

I never said whether the deadly force was justified or not. I simply said the dealdy force was a reaction to the way the guy's actions.

The guy's friend said the guy was never aggressive and that the officer never identified himself. Witness reports contradict that. That alone makes the friend's entire story about how it happened outside suspect. Without the whole story of what happened outside, blaming the officer for outright murder is wrong. Again, the officer was reacting to the other guy's aggression. Was it an overreaction? No one here knows. What we do know is the dude plainly displayed aggression and started the whole thing. NO one can argue that.

If you point a gun at someone to arrest them and they make a move towards you when they have already been really aggressive, you shoot them. Armed or not. Anyone with sense knows you don't let someone come up on you close enough to make it physical once you have the gun out. Use some sense people. Once you point the gun at someone, you better damn well be better to use it if they make a move towards you.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually, the racial slurs matter a LOT. It sets a precedent for how he was acting in public. When it is a known fact that he took that stance, it WILL be used to show the character he was displaying.

I never said whether the deadly force was justified or not. I simply said the dealdy force was a reaction to the way the guy's actions.

The guy's friend said the guy was never aggressive and that the officer never identified himself. Witness reports contradict that. That alone makes the friend's entire story about how it happened outside suspect. Without the whole story of what happened outside, blaming the officer for outright murder is wrong. Again, the officer was reacting to the other guy's aggression. Was it an overreaction? No one here knows. What we do know is the dude plainly displayed aggression and started the whole thing. NO one can argue that.

If you point a gun at someone to arrest them and they make a move towards you when they have already been really aggressive, you shoot them. Armed or not. Anyone with sense knows you don't let someone come up on you close enough to make it physical once you have the gun out. Use some sense people. Once you point the gun at someone, you better damn well be better to use it if they make a move towards you.
So the cop was not making an arrest he was off duty with his daughter, he probably was stepping in to calm the situation or just got in the guys face.

Now have any of you been to a car parts store and went to deal with them and had a bad day and they guy was being stupid? I know I have most auto part stores hire idiots and I am like wtf? He probably was just not having that good of a day, does that excuse it? no but it happens, now the OFF DUTY cop jumps in and tells him to calm down, the cop placed himself in front of a firing squadron doing that as this guy thinks he is just some ordinary citizen, hell I know if someone gets in my face or gets into it with me when I am mad is not gonna have a nice day either, the off duty cop pulling his gun and shooting was unnecessary racial slur or not.

After reading all three no one accounted for what went on outside the store, and most claim that the off duty officer was in the store with his daughter and was not there to detain him until he heard him say a racial slur, that's when the off duty officer went outside and was followed by the victim, now whether or not he left right away or not is still the question the only story is that he left after the cop had, then outside in the parking lot the only person there to see was the friend, other than the cop, now I don't know if any of you are used to seeing your best friend get shot, I sure as **** am not, I am pretty sure the scene may be quite vivid in your mind. That is just speculation. I dunno I think this shooting was not necessary, he used a racial slur, whoopty do, they are just words, you alone give them power, you let a word get you mad then fine that is your problem.

Last edited by LS1Adam84; 08-04-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Addict

Actually, the racial slurs matter a LOT. It sets a precedent for how he was acting in public.
In my opinion "Monkey" isn't really a "racial slur" and if it is it's a minimal one at best. Maybe I'm alone on that but that's how I see it. Now if the guy dropped an "N-Bomb" I would agree that the guy was using racial slurs and was taking an aggressive stance.

What ever happened to "sticks and stones...."?

Without the whole story of what happened outside, blaming the officer for outright murder is wrong. Again, the officer was reacting to the other guy's aggression. Was it an overreaction? No one here knows. What we do know is the dude plainly displayed aggression and started the whole thing. NO one can argue that.
I don't know were you live but in California it is a Felony to pull a gun on an unarmed person. If you pull out your gun and execute an unarmed man in California it's Murder 1. Period.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I guess you guys have no reading comprehension. I never said that the guy was shot for using the racial slurs, let alone that it was justifiable as such. I said the fact that he used a racial slur or more and that he was really aggressive WILL be used to set a precedent for the way he was acting and the volatile demeanor he had assumed.

You could even consider reading all of the links provided. He did drop the N-bomb, so assuming what it might have been is not necessary.

He didn't pull out a gun and execute an unarmed man. He attempted to arrest him. The guy made a move that made the cop believe he needed to eliminate a threat. Witness accounts put the guy completely in the wrong. Cop-haters can't understand sensibility?

Don't get me wrong, I hate that a guy had to die. He might have been an incredible guy and no doubt he did great things for his country and he also meant alot to his family. I see no reason to assault the officer's integrity and call him a murderer when the facts don't point to that though.

Last edited by oneBADDz; 08-04-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Not clear facts yet but the "Fleeing felony doctrine" was abolished in the 1980’s, meaning deadly force may not be used against a fleeing suspect unless the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others.

Your reasoning is very "gun-ho." Officers are trained with "use of force continuum" (verbal control>weaponless control>stunning>restraint holds>impact weapons>firearms) to deal with a non-compliant suspect.

Even when the officer is forced to draw his firearm, the officer can immobilize and unarmed suspect by not shooting him in a vital organ. Now if the suspect was walking towards the officer with a tire wrench, then that's a whole different story.

Quick Reply: Buddy of mine I went to school with just got murdered by a cop...