Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

trans issue because of tune??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default trans issue because of tune??

so i recently got h/c/full bolt ons done, while the car was in the shop i switched the old 150k trans with another stock 4l60e with about 40 k. when i leave the car in drive and punch the gas the trans just bounces off the red line each time before shifting. this happens from gear to gear. i have to get on and off the gas each time and play with it for it to finally shift. this happens both when car is in drive and when i manually try to shift... is this because the car has no tune, or should the trans still shift at the stock pre tuned rpm levels? any ideas would be greatly appreciated// (p.s i know the car need a tune regardless, just wondering if the trans is affected by having no tune as well?)

Last edited by chevyrunner; 08-10-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyrunner
so i recently got h/c/full bolt ons done, while the car was in the shop i switched the old 150k trans with another stock 4l60e with about 40 k. when i leave the car in drive and punch the gas the trans just bounces off the red line each time before shifting. this happens from gear to gear. i have to get on and off the gas each time and play with it for it to finally shift. this happens both when car is in drive and when i manually try to shift... is this because the car has no tune, or should the trans still shift at the stock pre tuned rpm levels? any ideas would be greatly appreciated// (p.s i know the car need a tune regardless, just wondering if the trans is affected by having no tune as well?)
Totally a tuning issue. Don't you have a stall as well? If so, that will make it even worse. Don't beat on the car until you get a tune, or else you'll toast your trans prematurely. Also, get a trans cooler if you don't already have one.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Totally a tuning issue. Don't you have a stall as well? If so, that will make it even worse. Don't beat on the car until you get a tune, or else you'll toast your trans prematurely. Also, get a trans cooler if you don't already have one.
had a 3600 gave it back to chris, put the stock trans and stock torque convertor back in. thanks for the response too man,... ive been shittin bricks here lately
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

had a 3600 gave it back to chris, put the stock trans and stock torque convertor back in. thanks for the response too man,... ive been shittin bricks here lately
i mean i put ANOTHER stock trans with less miles... the first trans was stock too but a gajillion miles on it
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most likely a tune issue, what gears do you have in the car? has the computer been tuned for them?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
most likely a tune issue, what gears do you have in the car? has the computer been tuned for them?
stock 273 gears, stock a4, stock convtr..... mild cam, ported heads, full bolt ons.... no tune since mods. the car shifts horribly.. redlining every gear, sumtimes huge delays when manually shifting through the gears... thats why i thought it had to be the tune
Old 08-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Launching!

totally a tune issue,easy to fix for a decent tuner.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

stock 273 gears, stock a4, stock convtr..... mild cam, ported heads, full bolt ons.... no tune since mods. the car shifts horribly.. redlining every gear, sumtimes huge delays when manually shifting through the gears... thats why i thought it had to be the tune
and the computers is tuned for factory 2.73's?
Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

and the computers is tuned for factory 2.73's?
im assuming it is... the 273s are the stock gears, and ive never changed them out so it should still be on the stock gear tune.... when i punch it the car takes off hard and goes then red lines super fast and i have to back off the gass
Old 08-13-2010, 02:42 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

im assuming it is... the 273s are the stock gears, and ive never changed them out so it should still be on the stock gear tune.... when i punch it the car takes off hard and goes then red lines super fast and i have to back off the gass
your a 100% sure you have 2.73's in the car? i would never think a 2.73 car would accelerate to redline fast, its geared just too tall.... i am saying this because your issue sounds like you have lower gearing then a 2.73 in the diff, but the computer isnt tune them..
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can vouch for that car having 2.73's..it's my friends old car.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a transmission issue to me then, stock gear, stock converter..Car should shift. I am not a mechanic though & Ryne should be able to pinpoint it. Just to add, I had the same exact issue of where the car wouldn't shift at WOT. It ended up being bad bands & clutches in the trans.

Last edited by Dan; 08-13-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

your a 100% sure you have 2.73's in the car? i would never think a 2.73 car would accelerate to redline fast, its geared just too tall.... i am saying this because your issue sounds like you have lower gearing then a 2.73 in the diff, but the computer isnt tune them..
positive it has 273s even checked the door codes...
Old 08-14-2010, 01:57 AM
On The Tree

side note, when just driving the car regular, the car shifts semi properly, goes through the gears and it gets up to speed when cruising, just when mashing on the gas no shifting at all just a bunch of redlines.. for that first split second of hitting the gas it takes off as it should, but then hits the line and i back off.. when in overdrive it redlines a lot faster than it does in drive or in 1 or 2
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

side note, when just driving the car regular, the car shifts semi properly, goes through the gears and it gets up to speed when cruising, just when mashing on the gas no shifting at all just a bunch of redlines.. for that first split second of hitting the gas it takes off as it should, but then hits the line and i back off.. when in overdrive it redlines a lot faster than it does in drive or in 1 or 2
Mine does exact same thing after cam install with no tune, 3.23 gears.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

I just got mine tuned and it still does the same thing.

Quick Reply: trans issue because of tune??