Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

94 Trans Am Build almost complete...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car is ready to roll for the break in miles. I made a short vid of the idle/rev's but having issues getting the video up.... working on it.

Customer wants to drive it around for a few weeks before doing full dyno pulls. Who wants to to a guess on how much rwhp? http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...P_PRI/GMPP_lsx

Says 620/590 through a carb on a engine dyno on 92 octane... so I will just subtract 17% drivetrain loss and say 520/490 rwhp on 91 pump gas.

Heres the specs of the motor... http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_09...fications.html

Winner gets $1
Old 10-29-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a pretty mild cam for that big of an engine.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 180ls1
thats a pretty mild cam for that big of an engine.
I agree, when his warranty is up he can always upgrade. Room to grow....
Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 PM
FormerVendor

Lagged on getting the video up but here you go.... Everything changed.... everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mUFlQqYw8Y

Still no guesses on rwhp?
Old 11-04-2010, 05:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg@RET
I have many Grand Nationals daily driving with FAST/BS3 and has no issues. Especially when its a all VE car.
Not to denote your tuning abilities but grand nationals run well without much done, i know a couple GN cars. I don't know many guys Daily driving GN's. How many miles per year are they putting on? daily driving literally means they daily the car like as in to and from work in traffic. Every day, 5 or more days per week.

Not denouncing your tuning but with GM stuff I am going to listen to Ryne, he does this every day and has been for a while, there is a reason he is the best at it, no need for shop animosity, you both provide a service to us.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

I've ridden in FAST cars that have had Jim Summers tunes in them and I've ridden in BS3 cars that I have personally tuned as well as tuned by others. I am just convinced there is no way to get an aftermarket management system to drive as well as a stock PCM.
This setup seems pretty mild, you wouldn't gain anything going to an aftermarket PCM. Unless you are running crazy RPM, multiple stages of N20 or big boost numbers there really isn't a need to run an aftermarket ECM.
As for a guess, I'd say if the thing makes 550rwhp through a manual and a 12bolt you are doing good.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Fab work is great. I hope the tune comes out alright.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg@RET
I have many Grand Nationals daily driving with FAST/BS3 and has no issues. Especially when its a all VE car.
lol well if your comparing a factory Grand National computer to a later 411 gm box or later gm e38,e40,e67 boxes, that is a real apple to oranges comparison.... any computer is a upgrade from a archaic 80's technology GN computer...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Fab work is great. I hope the tune comes out alright.
Thanks, so far so good. Car had to come back once it popped a fuse and dropped voltage. So we added yet another relay on top of the GM controller kit. I am not that impressed with their controller kit and fuse issues. Customer said the car flys, I told him please do not go WOT yet since we dont know what the a/f is doing up top. His answer... there was a Camaro right next to me, I had to race him lol I just shook my head.

I will let you know when it goes on the dyno, I am sure there will be plenty more comments.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

As far as daily driving tuning goes i think it comes down to how comfortable/good the tuner is with the software... i know of MANY daily driven gn's, mustangs, and ls/lt vehicles running fast or big stuff with awesome street manners, cold starting, fuel economy or whatever else the customer wants.

Quick Reply: 94 Trans Am Build almost complete...