Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Might Need A Motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Looks fishy...he's swapping in a LS2 yet he never even changed the lid?
Why is it "fishy"? I guess you have to do all the bolt ons before you can swap engine? I'm doing the same thing, and my engine is all stock? Do you post on here just to get your post count up?
Old 11-05-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your post count doesnt go up in the Regional section.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by supermaro
Why is it "fishy"? I guess you have to do all the bolt ons before you can swap engine? I'm doing the same thing, and my engine is all stock? Do you post on here just to get your post count up?
Most people do go all bolt-ons, or atleast pick up a 50 dollar lid before they go all out and buy a new long block. Just saying, most want to optimize their current cubic inches with a full exhaust, intake, cam, heads...all of which you can reuse on a new engine in the future. But I guess there are those that do it all at once...

And as the previous poster just mentioned, Western Section doesn't count.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I know a guy with lq4s for 500, but why not just rip it out, fix it be it a failed rod bearing or lifter, slap a cam in and call it a day
Old 11-05-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2041395320.html

but that $900 lq4 sounds like a pretty good idea

Most people do go all bolt-ons, or atleast pick up a 50 dollar lid before they go all out and buy a new long block. Just saying, most want to optimize their current cubic inches with a full exhaust, intake, cam, heads...all of which you can reuse on a new engine in the future. But I guess there are those that do it all at once...

And as the previous poster just mentioned, Western Section doesn't count.
jason, thats the guy i bought the snowmobile from ^ lmao. the guy with the craigslist add.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZexGX
The car itself was fucked up. Bent the firewall, crushed the roof broke all the exposed glass, scratched the front and rear bumpers, tore the front bumper, broke both front fenders, damaged hood and spoiler, dented quarter panels, bent axle, twisted panhard bar, bent transmission crossmember... The engine bay was intact aside from he wrinkled firewall. The amount of forces it was subjected to were insane. The owner lived with only minor injury so it wasn't bad enough to outright kill the motor... it made badnoises that no other LS1s made, from day one of the swap.
That's insane damage. Did Jason catch the weird noises it was making when it was first turned on? Or did it happen once you took it home? If the engine was damaged, it's pretty crazy it lasted so long. Especially since you did race it a couple of times.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
I know a guy with lq4s for 500, but why not just rip it out, fix it be it a failed rod bearing or lifter, slap a cam in and call it a day
Wanna share? I need a new shortblock.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MSS91Z28
jason, thats the guy i bought the snowmobile from ^ lmao. the guy with the craigslist add.
LOL...

Originally Posted by 93Z28rare
That's insane damage. Did Jason catch the weird noises it was making when it was first turned on? Or did it happen once you took it home? If the engine was damaged, it's pretty crazy it lasted so long. Especially since you did race it a couple of times.
Actually Lee didn't have the right year LS1 y-pipe and cats for the manifolds he had, so he drove it home with open manifolds.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as I know Lee has noticed the noises since install of the LS1. Well after he got the correct exhaust on it lol.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Oh alright. Well seems the engine might have been hurt since then? I heard his car though a couple of times, and did not hear anything weird. The noises might have been intermittent? My car way makes more noise than what I heard coming out of his car.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

And as the previous poster just mentioned, Western Section doesn't count.[/QUOTE]

..........get with Mario.......lol
Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

George, just give lee ur v10 haha
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

dang, that sucks Lee
Old 11-07-2010, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

there's a ls1 FS on craigs list
88K mi 1200.00
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2041395320.html
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowerthanyou00
Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Wanna share? I need a new shortblock.
Yes, do tell

Been looking for a lq4 short block around that price range.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Still no idea for sure what's wrong with the motor. The heads are off, and we will be lifting the car off the K-member next to get the motor/trans separated and then put the motor on an engine stand. I knew the rings and valve seals were bad from the oil consumption and smoke at WOT and decel from WOT.

Jason didn't catch the noises. I heard the noises when it was in the donor car and the exhaust was mostly attached. He said it was piston slap, but I can tell the difference between piston slap and knock/lifter noise. I raced it a shitload despite the noises. My tuner was confused as to why he couldn't advance the timing without knock when he was tuning. I told him about the noise. I took it to an RET dyno day. Greg noticed the noises too when it was on the dyno and told me that something was wrong there.

Actually Lee didn't have the right year LS1 y-pipe and cats for the manifolds he had, so he drove it home with open manifolds.
I heard it before we pulled it. Remember how concerned I was?

Last edited by ZexGX; 11-07-2010 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Still no idea for sure what's wrong with the motor. The heads are off, and we will be lifting the car off the K-member next to get the motor/trans separated and then put the motor on an engine stand. I knew the rings and valve seals were bad from the oil consumption and smoke at WOT and decel from WOT.

Jason didn't catch the noises. I heard the noises when it was in the donor car and the exhaust was mostly attached. He said it was piston slap, but I can tell the difference between piston slap and knock/lifter noise. I raced it a shitload despite the noises. My tuner was confused as to why he couldn't advance the timing without knock when he was tuning. I told him about the noise. I took it to an RET dyno day. Greg noticed the noises too when it was on the dyno and told me that something was wrong there.

I heard it before we pulled it. Remember how concerned I was?
I never heard it run in the donor car after the accident and before it was swapped into your Firebird.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

Wait...so you heard the noises, basically knew what it was, and still swapped the motor in? Why didn't you try to fix the problem to begin with? Did you hear the motor in the donor car before the accident? Seems weird you would put a hurt motor in your car, or at least not try to fix what's wrong with it.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

All the lifters, springs, rocker arms, and pushrods are good. Cam lobes look good. Lifter rollers are not marred or cupped. Gotta be a bearing or rod.

I never heard it run in the donor car after the accident and before it was swapped into your Firebird.
Really? It was started up at Josers without a lid, and it was also started again once or twice when we backed it under the white tarp, where you told me it was just an exhaust leak and not to worry... Even though the sound came from the passenger side cylinder head and there was no exhaust leak at the passenger side cylinder head... Also happened when it was in my car with the stock exhaust installed. You still said exhaust leak. With stock manifolds. And stock MLS gaskets. That's fine. I knew it wasn't an exhaust leak.

Wait...so you heard the noises, basically knew what it was, and still swapped the motor in? Why didn't you try to fix the problem to begin with? Did you hear the motor in the donor car before the accident? Seems weird you would put a hurt motor in your car, or at least not try to fix what's wrong with it.
My V6 was dying a slow death and had 143k. I didn't have the money to tear apart the LS because the seller wanted $2500 for a car that was trashed and was only worth the engine/trans/fuel lines. I didn't make more than $600 selling parts off of that thing. Anyways,

SRJ assured me that the noise was in my head and not to worry. I made a big deal about the motors reliability on Tech and SRJ and the Generalz made a big deal telling me not to worry and that it'll last.

Now SRJ is trying to say that he had no idea?? Whatever. I was expecting this from the beginning. SRJ is a stand-up guy, and the motor did last for over a year of abusive driving habits (but not maintenance habits), so he honestly didn't know for sure that it would blow up sooner than later... Not counting the oil consumption (1 qt every 1500-2000 miles) and obvious blowby near WOT and on decel from WOT (rings and valve seals).

Last edited by ZexGX; 11-09-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really? It was started up at Josers without a lid, and it was also started again once or twice when we backed it under the white tarp, where you told me it was just an exhaust leak and not to worry...

My V6 was dying a slow death. I didn't have the money to tear apart the LS because the seller wanted $2500 for a car that was trashed and was only worth the engine/trans/fuel lines. I didn't make more than $600 selling parts off of that thing.
SRJ assured me that the noise was in my head and not to worry. I made a big deal about the motors reliability on Tech and SRJ and the Generalz made a big deal telling me not to worry. Now SRJ is trying to say that he had no idea?? Whatever. I was expecting this from the beginning.
Woah woah woah...I said the motor was low mileage and well maintained by the previous owner, which it was. I told you that there was no better engine to do a swap with, I was actually going to buy it from Johnny before you did so I would have been just as unlucky as you turned out to be. I don't remember hearing it run before the swap. I did hear it run at that meet in Diamond Bar that one time and it did sound like piston slap to me, cause the car was cold. It didn't sound excessive. But don't give me any bullshit about how I mislead or conned you into buying the motor, Johnny made the money off of the sale, not me, and I did your whole damn swap for 300 bucks, so don't come on here trying to blast my name.

Quick Reply: Might Need A Motor