Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Does anyone have a stock cam and/or a dial bore indicator I can use/rent?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a stock cam and/or a dial bore indicator I can use/rent?

Hey guys, I got my new shortblock from TSP, but the cam wont fit in passed the second bearing and TSP wanted to see if I could find a dial bore indicator to measure the ID of the bearing to see what the issue might be before I have to just give in and ship it back.

I measured all the journals on the new cam that I have and they all seem to be in spec, but I wanted to at least try a cam that I know is perfectly good to help rule that out as well.

So does anyone happen to have a stock (or any) cam they dont need or would let me borrow for a day just to try out? And anyone with a bore indicator that would be willing to let me borrow or rent it from you would be amazing! Just trying to see if I can avoid having to load it up and bring it to a machine shop or something to have them look at it.

Thanks, fellas!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

I have a stock cam you could use but im in OC
Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Is it a brand new cam? If so its very likely it is bent, actually a more common problem than one might think. I had a brand new crane cam come bent a couple years ago. No big deal if it is, take it to a machine shop and ask them to check it. A big rubber mallet and a couple of swings later and it'll be cherry
Old 11-09-2010, 12:14 AM
TECH Resident

i got a stock cam and im in van nuys. im usually in granada hills though. might be up at porter ranch tomorrow though
Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah it is a new cam. I tried putting in backwards to try and rule out it being bent but of course that isn't fool proof. That's why I wanted to try the stock cam and then go from there. I'd much rather it be the cam than the shortblock!

RPD_Vette84, I can grab the cam from you anytime tomorrow in any of those places if that works for you, just let me know... Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a stock cam and a bore gauge but I wouldn't be able to get to them until Thursday, which means to you on Friday. Let me know if you still need it on Thursday.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

i should be around islands in porter ranch around 8 if you want me to bring it.
Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a ton of stock cams laying around
Old 11-14-2010, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys, David (rocndav) was kind enough to lend me a cam and his bore gauge for the weekend. Unfortunately the stock cam yielded the same issues.

Ryne Ill definitely be giving you a call in the coming months when its ready to be tuned

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a stock cam and/or a dial bore indicator I can use/rent?