Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

NEED HELP ASAP! LS7 Clutch installed now wont shift!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NEED HELP ASAP! LS7 Clutch installed now wont shift!

I posted this in the Manual trans section, but wanted to see if any locals to turlock could give me a hand, because i dont know what to do:

Ok guys, i need help fast as this is our only car right now. What should have been an easy clutch swap has turned into a complete nightmare!

I just installed an LS7 Clutch w/Aluminum flywheel into my wife's 00 WS.6, not my first time installing a clutch in an F-body, but this is by far the worst one yet!

Got it installed last night, didnt have my mity vac, so i was gonna bleed it the hard way, ended up dropping a socket into the bell

Tore it back down to get the socket, put it back together and old slave starts leaking.

Tear it down AGAIN, replaced slave with brand new slave, reassambled. Used the vac to completely bleed the system, pedal feels decent, but i dont know exactly what the LS7 is supposed to feel like.

Now it wont go into any gear while running. I started it up on stands, and it would shift but didnt appear to disengage all the way. Put it on the ground and it wont go into geat at all while running.

Did i torque something wrong? I used ARP bots for the flywheel and PP. Could that prevent me from going into gear?

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you torq down right?

i didnt and same thing happen to me

pp bolts are 32 ft/lbs
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never taken apart an LS1 clutch system. On my friends I-RocZ we had the same problem, we found that the fork was bent and pressure plate was bad. Did u put in the clutch the right way? Some put it in backwards
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
did you torq down right?

i didnt and same thing happen to me

pp bolts are 32 ft/lbs
Every torque spec i could find on here has it listed as 52-55 ft/lbs in a star pattern. Thats how i torqued em.

Last edited by NVR_SPDS; 12-06-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

From the sounds of things its not completely bled, ive done a few clutch swaps and it takes quite a bit of bleeding.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
From the sounds of things its not completely bled, ive done a few clutch swaps and it takes quite a bit of bleeding.
Ive bled it 4 times, and im no longer getting any bubbles at all. I can defintily try it again. The pedal doesnt feel spongy at all.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

u should look into a remote speed bleeder.
im getting the same symptoms on my ls7 clutch going to drop the tranny soon and inspect it. i also heard its a good idea to add in a shim .
Old 12-07-2010, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know you probably didn't do it, but did you install the flush face of the clutch disk to the flywheel? I've seen people put the clutch disk on backwards and it causes that problem, pedal feels fine but it doesn't work. Get the back wheels off the ground and start it, see if it spins like crazy in neutral.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well for starters you said its an LS7 clutch but did you use an ls7 flywheel? You have to use a LS2 flywheel with the LS7 disk and plate. If you do have the right flywheel did you put a shim behind the slave cylinder. The spacing isnt right for the LS2/LS7 clutch and you wont fully disengage the clutch without pushing the slave a little further out with a shim.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Teching In

I went through the exact thing. I used the ls7 clutch and flywheel, put adjustable Mc Leod master cylinder and used a remote bleeder and bled the **** out of it and clutch still wouldnt disengage. You need a spacer. I called spec clutches and talked to a tech support guy and told him my set up. They shipped me a spacer. I think its like 1/8 thickness, it was only like 5 or 10 bucks or something. The spacer goes behind the slave cylinder. Good luck man!

Last edited by impstrz28; 12-07-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
I know you probably didn't do it, but did you install the flush face of the clutch disk to the flywheel? I've seen people put the clutch disk on backwards and it causes that problem, pedal feels fine but it doesn't work. Get the back wheels off the ground and start it, see if it spins like crazy in neutral.
You can put it in backwards? You mean the raised portion of the hub goes towards the flywheel and not into the pressure plate? I wasnt sure it would even fit that way, I didnt get instructions..

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
well for starters you said its an LS7 clutch but did you use an ls7 flywheel? You have to use a LS2 flywheel with the LS7 disk and plate. If you do have the right flywheel did you put a shim behind the slave cylinder. The spacing isnt right for the LS2/LS7 clutch and you wont fully disengage the clutch without pushing the slave a little further out with a shim.
I bought the LS7 Clutch kit with the Ram 2552 Aluminum flywheel and ARP bolts from Scoggin Dickey.. its listed as an LS2/3/7 flywheel.

Originally Posted by impstrz28
I went through the exact thing. I used the ls7 clutch and flywheel, put adjustable Mc Leod master cylinder and used a remote bleeder and bled the **** out of it and clutch still wouldnt disengage. You need a shim. I called spec clutches and they shipped me a shim. I think its like 1/8 thickness, it was only like 10 bucks or something. The shim goes behind the slave cylinder. Good luck man!
Im getting different responses on the shim thing.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Im getting different responses on the shim thing.

Yeah I read different things too, but that is what worked for me. I bought slightly longer bolts to install the slave to compensate for the thickness of the spacer too. When I told the tech support guy from spec my set up he said a spacer was needed for that set up.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't shim mine
stock master to
Old 12-08-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've got the same LS7 clutch/flywheel, except I installed a Tick adj. MC, and the remote bleeder, and no shim. I've had no problems at all with it.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Launching!

I have had my LS6 Clutch/LS2 Flywheel, removed my Remote bleeder, Seemed like it caused more issues with bleeding and No Shim i beliveve and after install, just pumped the clutch none stop for about 10 minutes. NO BLEEDING or anything and pedal came up nicely.

going on 4 years never bled once and pedal has never stuck to the ground.

Just pump the **** out of ur pedal.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor_WS6
I didn't shim mine
stock master to
^^^ I helped him with his T56 when it had the exact same problem. Wouldn't shift into gear ONLY when running. Replaced pilot bearing, slave cylinder, bled with MityVac, disassembled and reassembled 4+ times, NO SHIM. On last reassembly we torqued everything to the GM torque specs and it worked like a charm.

The pedal came up nicely all the time after it was bled (and still not working) and didn't get stuck, but it still had the issue. Looking back, if it was air in the system, wouldn't the pedal stay stuck in the down position?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Everything was torqued to spec. brand new slave, disc in the correct way. I will attempt to bleed it with the bleeder screw tomaro, instead of the vac, but the pedal feels really good. I also have a Tick Master coming as well.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP ASAP! LS7 Clutch installed now wont shift!