Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Thinking about moving to SoCal from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just moved to San Diego from NY. I'm loving it out here. The weather is awesome, BUT... The cost of living is high. Its gonna be hard to go to college and afford to live here. You're looking to spend $600/month + utilities for a decent apt in Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, or Ocean Beach in San Diego.... And that would most likely be with room mates. I've seen studios for $800 at PB. But then you're going to have to furinish everything...

California is expensive.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Denton huh? I use to stay there when I would go see accounts in Gainesville and Ardmore.

I would say stay in TX if one of your reasons for moving is finding a job. Expect to pay >70% of take-home pay on the necessities and then have to save up just to have fun, all while being "taxed" in ways that further decrease your available cash.

Then again, your situation sounds temporary and might as well give it a ride while you can.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok question, what is your income? CC's is socal are going up to $38 a unit hour. Citrus college is good, second question is, whats your major?
Old 02-09-2011, 02:57 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
I just moved to San Diego from NY. I'm loving it out here. The weather is awesome, BUT... The cost of living is high. Its gonna be hard to go to college and afford to live here. You're looking to spend $600/month + utilities for a decent apt in Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, or Ocean Beach in San Diego.... And that would most likely be with room mates. I've seen studios for $800 at PB. But then you're going to have to furinish everything...

California is expensive.
Welcome to San Diego, man. I'm from New York myself. Are you living in 'PB? California has it's downs but walking along the boardwalk in 'PB in the early afternoon along the beach, with beach bunnies left and right, music in the air, etc. It can be goddamn magical, lol...

'OP, the residency thing will probably be the deal breaker for you. California, like many other places, needs to be experienced by everyone but the money thing as usual gets in the way. I hope you make it out here one way or another...
Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Wecome to PB I have lived here for 4 years and it's Great

Rx Bruce/StoreKeeper99Z28

Originally Posted by Camaro_94

California is expensive.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

CALIFORNIA = for living here. And i was born and raised here.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Launching!

I'm a native of So.Cal

Locate a job 1st,

2nd: As already mentioned you'll need to be a resident for 1 year otherwise you'll pay triple for tuition

3rd Find something off the coast and just drive in, when you want to spend the day at the Beach, Cheaper

I know several Texans here, And every one of them say that they will never go back,

They Simply Love it here * ? ? ?

Low humidity,Beautiful Mountain ranges,The people lol

I on the other hand would like to move to Texas,

For the Reasons of building a business, People, and the New Experience*

It doesn't look like it's going to happen right now tho

Also I'm a Life long mountain biker,

& California Trails are tuff to beat, Lake views, Spring like summer All last year,
Snow rides and year round riding

I've been riding with my shirt off in February lol
Old 02-27-2011, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

To the OP, you're wise for doing your research before you ultimately decide what's best for you.
A change can do us good sometimes.

I drove all thru Texas this last summer and I fell in love.

I just turned 48 as I am typing this. I am obviously older than the average median age in this thread. My reasons for wanting to move from California is because I was born and raised here. I just want to start a new chapter in my life.

Here's my little thread about my Trip to Texas.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/texas-mem...ess-texas.html

The only thing I can say negative about Texas is the weather while on the otherside of the coin the only thing I can say positive about California is the weather.

Once we sell our house we will be outta here.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

Last edited by bearcatt; 02-27-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:28 AM
TECH Regular

as much as i hate cali... i love cali... being in the MARINE CORPS. ive traveled some places... but being away from cali, made me miss it... i was born and raised in O.C. yorba linda... im just glad to be in the O.C....
Old 02-27-2011, 12:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
Let's see if I got this straight?
You want to move from Texas where they are gun, car, motorcycle, and women friendly to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornication where they hate guns, cars, (at least high performance ones), motorcycles, and there might be a few women left if you get here quickly.
Please send me some of whatever you're smoking.
And people tell me that I had my priorities mixed up.

(gary, that is f'in hilarious and so true). texas94z, if you feel compelled to get out of texas, i say go for it, but just like the others said, check into the residency requirements for college here, and be willing to roommate up with one or two others to make it half affordable. i live in the west LA area and know that santa monica college is a good school and in walking distance of the beach. the weather here is beautiful most of the time especially compared to the rest of the country, albeit heavy on the traffic and crowds. its always interesting how so many of us feel the grass is greener somewhere else when its really not - many Californians like myself would love to move out of state to somewhere less populated, less costly, less taxes, more beautiful, etc. what gary said is so true, california is not friendly to most of the ways of life you are use to in texas, and friendly/decent looking women are in short supply here if existent at all,,the economy and employment is essentially like it is anywhere in the country, its tough here depending on what you do, there are jobs here if you're willing to do something else assuming you don't find a job you regularly do,,since you are going to be a college student, finding a couple of part time gigs should be relatively easy.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
Let's see if I got this straight?
You want to move from Texas where they are gun, car, motorcycle, and women friendly to the Peoples Republik of Kalifornication where they hate guns, cars, (at least high performance ones), motorcycles, and there might be a few women left if you get here quickly.
Please send me some of whatever you're smoking.
And people tell me that I had my priorities mixed up.

The above quote pretty much sums up what California personifies.

I noticed the beautiful women in Texas were real without inplants and plastic surgery.

Also ... California is real Prius friendly too.

California dreamin has turned into a California nightmare.

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving to SoCal from Texas