Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Fuel Pump replacement...(all help appreciated)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My offer to scan your car with a tech 2 still stands. LMK
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Z28
Do this.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely be hitting you up for it.

Little update, dunno if it helps.

The last time the car didn't start, the SES light was on. Today, when I was driving on my way home, I could feel power loss in sixth gear it felt like, then when I downshifted to go up the hill to my house, the car noticeably lost power, regained it and there was some backfire with the exhaust. I got it home and drove it around the neighborhood to see if it would keep acting up, and it just felt like there was uneven amounts of fuel getting to the engine (but that's just a guess.)

That made me think it was the fuel injectors, but I don't think that would explain that the problem doesn't happen that often.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:52 PM
Launching!

I'm home after 1pm everyweek day and off on the weekends. Pm me and we will set up a day and time.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt sound like VATS to me. VATS would light up the 'security' light and wouldnt start for several minutes. it wouldnt make the car die while driving.

Dying while driving / loss of power sounds like fuel pump. PM me if you want a cheap stock fuel pump to test it.

I wonder if the fuel pump has to do with ignition control. It would seem to me that if the pump was failing, it could not be sending a signal for ignition... thus no spark.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DobsZ28
Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely be hitting you up for it.

Little update, dunno if it helps.

The last time the car didn't start, the SES light was on. Today, when I was driving on my way home, I could feel power loss in sixth gear it felt like, then when I downshifted to go up the hill to my house, the car noticeably lost power, regained it and there was some backfire with the exhaust. I got it home and drove it around the neighborhood to see if it would keep acting up, and it just felt like there was uneven amounts of fuel getting to the engine (but that's just a guess.)

That made me think it was the fuel injectors, but I don't think that would explain that the problem doesn't happen that often.
This happened to me once. Car would lose all power, then suddenly got all its power back, and did this over and over. Ended up being a bad MAP sensor.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Took the car to Seaside Auto Repair (GM dealer's service department) in Miramar.

After three days of not hearing anythign, I t was told that "when we took the car out the first time, it was throwing five codes....when we flashed it and took it out again, it was throwing eight codes."

One of them was engine misfire, the others he said he wasn't even that familiar with. He said based on what he was seeing, he woudl recommend replacing the PCU, which would cost $420. He also said there was a code saying that the MAF wasn't working right, and based on the car throwing so many codes and even more after they took it back out again, that it's more likely a bad "computer" than anything else.

Then he said they also recommended replacing all the spark plugs and wires, which after parts and labor would cost around $400 "because of the labor."

I told him I'd take the weekend to think about it...(they're closed on Saturdays and Sundays)
Old 04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I don't know about the computer but don't pay $400 for the plug change. If you want I can help you out with those, they are a pain to do but still not $400 worth. PM me if you are interested, I live in San Diego also near the "Q".
Old 04-09-2011, 12:00 AM
Launching!

What are the codes? Sounds like they just want your money!
Old 04-09-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Did you ever take it somewhere and get it fixed. If you take it to a reputable dealership ie GM, they will fix it and only charge you with what's wrong. They can't put a crank postion sensor in it and then say "Well, that's not it. Now pay me." They fix the problem and only charge you for the problem. You could have already had it fixed.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

What are the codes? Sounds like they just want your money!
Isn't this the American Way? How are they gonna make money if they don't charge for it? Goob. How about you start a shop called "Champion" Motor Works and give away free labor. I'll come by and you can diagnose my electrical problem. Actually, on second thought, I won't. Lol
Old 04-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
Isn't this the American Way? How are they gonna make money if they don't charge for it? Goob. How about you start a shop called "Champion" Motor Works and give away free labor. I'll come by and you can diagnose my electrical problem. Actually, on second thought, I won't. Lol
Why don't you? Oh I forgot you take your cars and pay to have them fixed because you don't know how. GOOB!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:33 PM
TECH Resident

Why don't you? Oh I forgot you take your cars and pay to have them fixed because you don't know how. GOOB!

Lol. Check my threads. I do all my own work. But for people that don't know how (yourself), it gives them a place to take their cars. Then there are people that think they can work on cars, (also yourself). I bet you get upset when banks make money off you when you borrow money from them.

Anyway OP, my reccomendation would be for you to let the dealership figure it out. These problems are often hard and time consuming to figure out. If you want a challenge, keep spending time and keep throwing parts at it. Just my $.02.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silvy6.0
Lol. Check my threads. I do all my own work. But for people that don't know how (yourself), it gives them a place to take their cars. Then there are people that think they can work on cars, (also yourself). I bet you get upset when banks make money off you when you borrow money from them.

Anyway OP, my reccomendation would be for you to let the dealership figure it out. These problems are often hard and time consuming to figure out. If you want a challenge, keep spending time and keep throwing parts at it. Just my $.02.

...its at a dealership right now.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issues..

The power cable that runs to the fuse block was not as secure as it neeed to be because the big nut that snugs it was loose.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KrisXpc
I had the same issues..

The power cable that runs to the fuse block was not as secure as it neeed to be because the big nut that snugs it was loose.

You're now the second person who I've heard say that it was an issue with a connection to the fuse block...

Did you experience the same symptoms in terms of the car sometimes randomly not starting out of no where, and then it driving fine?

Thanks everyone for the help, by the way. This whole ordeal has been a huge pain in the ***, I just want my car back and working right...
Old 04-14-2011, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Just a little update --

The car has been at the shop for aweek now. At first they told me to replace the PCU and sparkplugs/wires. They also recommended a fuel induction cleaning service + MAF cleaning.

Approved the MAF cleaning and the induction service (cars got 72K miles on it, figured it might as well be time to have those cleaned up), got a call back from the shop. They said now that 6 of the 8 codes were no longer on, but there were two new ones, AND the car was driving worse now.

The new code is for an O2 sensor and a misfire on cyllinder 3 and 4. They aagain recommended spark plugs/wires for $400 + $197 for the O2 sensor replacement. I told them no thanks on both, as I'm going to take it to a local place that will do it for half the price, but my question is, if they cleaned the MAF sensor, could that have fucked things up? They're saying my SES light is now constantly on, a problem I never had before...

Also, in terms of the cyllinder misfire, would that cause the car to kind of jerk around during acceleration? And will spark plugs/wires really be a probable solution?
Old 04-14-2011, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Also, connections to the fuse blocks were checked and okay'd by their technician.

As for the 8 codes the car WAS throwing, they were:

P0102
P0200
P0300
P0443
P0449
P0645
P0801
P0803
Old 04-14-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude, I can show you how to do the spark plugs yourself that way it will cost you nothing.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

In Summary, had the "fuel induction service," which was fuel injector and throttle body cleaning, engine decarb and plenum cleaned. Also had the MAF cleaned. Then took it to another place, had the spark plugs, wires, and O2 sensor replaced...

And for now...the car is running great. (crossing my fingers)

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump replacement...(all help appreciated)