Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

260z Project ! Tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Default 260z Project ! Tranny ?

What's going on ? I have a 74' Datsun 260z that I'm building and I'm kinda looking at dropping a LS1 or 4.8 in it instead of the RB25det(R33 Skyline engine). I already have the 4.8 longblock and a LS1 also but I want a 5sp or 6sp, what are my options as far as 5sp or 6sp tranny's ? I know a t56 is common for these but what about tremec's and TKO's ? What's the cost of them ? Can I use a tremec from a mustang and just swap the bell housing ?
Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daz
What's going on ? I have a 74' Datsun 260z that I'm building and I'm kinda looking at dropping a LS1 or 4.8 in it instead of the RB25det(R33 Skyline engine). I already have the 4.8 longblock and a LS1 also but I want a 5sp or 6sp, what are my options as far as 5sp or 6sp tranny's ? I know a t56 is common for these but what about tremec's and TKO's ? What's the cost of them ? Can I use a tremec from a mustang and just swap the bell housing ?
The T56 is the easieast way to go and most reliable. There arn't many 5 speeds that will not explode behind a LS1 short of a TKO. A TKO in my opinion is a pain to shift and costs more than a T56 does. As far as using a mustang trans goes, its more than the bellhousing. The input shaft on the trans is different as well. I would just try to find an F body T56. Usually in the ballpark of 1000 bucks for a used one.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info !

Yeah, that seems to be the easiest way ! I was trying to compare the cost of a RB25det to the cost of the T56 cause I have a Z32TT tranny with the RB bellhousing for it already. It'll cost me around the same for the engine as the t56. Motor/Tranny mounts are $475. JCI sell a complete kit for $695 for the LS.

So my dad and I have a LS-Series 6.0L,4.8L(needs assembly), & LS1(needs a rebuild)sitting. He's going to use the 6.0L(he's building) for his 260z so that leaves the the 4.8 & LS1.

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do ! The car will not be a daily driver but will get driven occasionally to work but mostly on the weekends. It might participate @ Fontana and originally I had plans for Willow Springs. So I'll see what's up !

Quick Reply: 260z Project ! Tranny ?