Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Hey California Guys - would this be pushing it i.e. cop bait?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:23 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hey California Guys - would this be pushing it i.e. cop bait?

I have always had the license plate frame "6.3 liter Viper Eater." Obviously it would come off at emissions time, but if a cop knows his *** from a hole in the ground about FBodies, and a ton of them do, I am screaming, "hey look, I have a stroker!" So I guess the questions are:
1. Is a stroker technically illegal here?
2. If so, would this, combined with the right cop, basically send me straight to the referee?
Old 06-15-2011, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well with a stroker id be more worried about how loud my car is over your license plate frame.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

The car itself would be the reason the cop would look over it thoroughly...
Old 06-15-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you aren't driving like an *******, you should be fine.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Default Search

Well they dont have any probable cause to stop you first... second if they did a license plate frame is not probable cause for them to make you pop your hood... 3rd officers arent "schooled" in what a ls1 stroker etc looks like...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
Well they dont have any probable cause to stop you first... second if they did a license plate frame is not probable cause for them to make you pop your hood... 3rd officers arent "schooled" in what a ls1 stroker etc looks like...
Modified exhaust, engine is enough probable cause to stop someone. I'm running stock cats, manifolds, only gmmg and trust me I would have enough probable cause to pull me over for sound DB being too loud.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by supermaro
Modified exhaust, engine is enough probable cause to stop someone. I'm running stock cats, manifolds, only gmmg and trust me I would have enough probable cause to pull me over for sound DB being too loud.

Thats correct however what would your probable cause be to have him pop the hood... you could write him a noise violation but thats not probable to pop his hood...
Old 06-15-2011, 10:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MikeyZ
Thats correct however what would your probable cause be to have him pop the hood... you could write him a noise violation but thats not probable to pop his hood...
Who's telling you these things lmao, I mean seriously. An officers investigation for the vehicle modificationS could have you open up the hood or send you to the state ref.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

All of this goes to the core of my concern...The Ref. They WOULD find the heads at least and the wrong year block is a good bet. I guess I don't care about the cop himself, just if he knows the tradition of the 5.7L, I think I'd be screwed. As for exhaust, I'm shooting for passing legally. I have manifolds/stock cats and just a Magnaflow catback with an online muffler in the I-Pipe. It all boils down to that unlucky time that a cop who knows chevy pulls up behind me and starts thinking WTF.

perhaps it's time to go back to the drawing board on frames.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by transsam
I have always had the license plate frame "6.3 liter Viper Eater." Obviously it would come off at emissions time, but if a cop knows his *** from a hole in the ground about FBodies, and a ton of them do, I am screaming, "hey look, I have a stroker!" So I guess the questions are:
1. Is a stroker technically illegal here?
2. If so, would this, combined with the right cop, basically send me straight to the referee?
1.As long as you are running a front and a rear state issued plate and your tags are current you should be fine. Most cops won't bother you without a reason, in 30 years of driving in Cali I have only been pulled over 3 times for cop "fishing".
2.Tehnically any engine other than stock is illegal but unless the officer or referee can verify your displacement, it's just a stock LSx for your Fbody right. If your emissions are within +5% of stock you will even pass smog, and this is not hard to do even with a hipo stroker, but you should still find a HiPo sympathetic smog station.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by transsam
All of this goes to the core of my concern...The Ref. They WOULD find the heads at least and the wrong year block is a good bet. I guess I don't care about the cop himself, just if he knows the tradition of the 5.7L, I think I'd be screwed. As for exhaust, I'm shooting for passing legally. I have manifolds/stock cats and just a Magnaflow catback with an online muffler in the I-Pipe. It all boils down to that unlucky time that a cop who knows chevy pulls up behind me and starts thinking WTF.

perhaps it's time to go back to the drawing board on frames.
I'm sorry if I scared you away from what you had in mind (which I'm not trying to do that). I'm a car guy myself, I don't cite people for things that I do on my own vehicles (most cops have the same mentality). Having a modified car here in California I'm sure is just like most other states, just falls on having bad luck that day.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

Sh*t with all of the problems San Diego cops are having, your car should be their last worry!!! Rapeing Hookers ??? and Driving Drunk = Sounds like my kinda town..

Last edited by Anthony Williams; 06-15-2011 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

Who's telling you these things lmao, I mean seriously. An officers investigation for the vehicle modificationS could have you open up the hood or send you to the state ref.
again what would be your probable cause for making him open his hood... a modified exhaust? that would never ever fly... if that went to court for that all a lawyer would have 2 do is play 2 tapes one modifed and one unmodified and ask officer which car has a modified engine a or b and what training/experience do you have for that...
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

if you have cats and smog equipment ( or looks like you do )they wont right you a ref ticket, worse you get will be a fix it ticket for loud exhaust.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're that worried about a license plate frame, then change the frame and have peace of mind. Simple.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Just loose the license plate frame, bro. Or at the VERY LEAST, the 6.3 part.

I'll be running a 6.6 stoker in the very near future and there is no way I'd put 6.6 badges anywhere on the car.Plus, why give the Viper owners a heads up. Let them get their asses handed to them.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

i would think if a cop was so educated on LSx's than he would be more of a enthusiast and most likely wouldnt trip would probably tell you he has one at home in the garage hahaha but who know's
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly right. You are talking about a cops word versus yours. And cops always win. It would go something like this:

Cop: Pop your hood.
You: No!
Cop: Fair enough, go to the state ref. BYYYYEEEEEE!!!
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for all of the input guys. It is time to retire the 6.3. It was fun while it lasted I suppose.

My problem is that I am a total and complete geek. The two best alternatives I have come up with, and this is over months, are:

YOU
SHALL NOT PASS

and

I don't believe in
The No-Win Scenario

Possibly modified to:

I don't believe in
KAAAHHN
The No-Win Scenario

I may just leave the damned thing blank if those are my options. They are however very much me.

Last edited by transsam; 06-16-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i live in san diego little south my **** is loud as **** i just watch out on the road and dont let the droan to crazy next to a cop. they love my ****, they have never opened my hood or theyd be like **** lol

Quick Reply: Hey California Guys - would this be pushing it i.e. cop bait?