10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPD_Vette84
oh yeah also want a speed density tune.
Closed or Open loop?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or better yet for a couple more bills you can buy hptuners pro and a wideband and learn to tune yourself , it will be a headache and take a lot of time but it will pay off in the end, or you will blow up your motor lol
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
Or better yet for a couple more bills you can buy hptuners pro and a wideband and learn to tune yourself , it will be a headache and take a lot of time but it will pay off in the end, or you will blow up your motor lol
LMAO or blow up someone elses
Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Closed or Open loop?
It should be both closed loop under part throttle and open under full (or vice or versa , I always get them mixed up )
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 PM
10 Second Club

It should be both closed loop under part throttle and open under full (or vice or versa , I always get them mixed up )
Open is full throttle, Closed for part and idle. You can actually tune it on nothing but open loop. You will eliminate the o2's completely.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

i was goin to see if George could do it since he was helpin me tune my turbo 5.3l rx7 but hes been busy lately.

ive thought about buyin hptuners and tryin it out myself but wouldnt know where to start. ive watch george and my other buddy while they were tuning my cars but didnt understand some of it.

Jerry you never answered me about that throttle body you got.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
Open is full throttle, Closed for part and idle. You can actually tune it on nothing but open loop. You will eliminate the o2's completely.
Yes when tuning the only correct way to tune it is in open loop so the pcm does not mess with your fueling but once tuning is done there is almost no reason not to put it back into closed/open loop
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was goin to see if George could do it since he was helpin me tune my turbo 5.3l rx7 but hes been busy lately.

ive thought about buyin hptuners and tryin it out myself but wouldnt know where to start. ive watch george and my other buddy while they were tuning my cars but didnt understand some of it.

Jerry you never answered me about that throttle body you got.
Sorry I don't have internet so I'm using Facebook mobile and it sucks I never get my notifications
I think I'm coming to bobs this Friday , I can bring it and explain it better in person
Old 11-22-2011, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

cool yeah if you bring it ill check it out.

imma try and hit up George and see what he thinks. maybe he can give me a decent street tune enough for me to drive the car to get a full tune.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Yes when tuning the only correct way to tune it is in open loop so the pcm does not mess with your fueling but once tuning is done there is almost no reason not to put it back into closed/open loop
Yes im aware of stft and ltft messing with fueling on closed loop as why you need to be on open when full throttle, My car has no oxygen sensors at all I stay on open all the time. But I rarely cruise with my car so im not worried about closed loop or fuel trims I just need to be right on WOT.

To the OP, I recommend taking your car to CMS for you tune. It is worth the drive or wait. Ask me about wait but it was worth it.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

But I agree with tripblackls1 if you don't mind taking your time to learn or a chance of blowing up your motor, buy HP tuners and tune it yourself. I

I spent to much money on my build to learn on it, So I had Ryne work his magic on my Camaro. But I have been tuning my SVO and it takes patience and lots of reading to do it right without hurting your car.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

see theres my problem. when i read stuff especially detailed stuff like tuning instructions itll confuse the **** out of me. now if someone showed me how or what to do then id be better off.

i should buy hptuners considering ive done a couple swaps already and will possibly do more.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

see theres my problem. when i read stuff especially detailed stuff like tuning instructions itll confuse the **** out of me. now if someone showed me how or what to do then id be better off.

i should buy hptuners considering ive done a couple swaps already and will possibly do more.
There you go you just convinced yourself

Hp tuners has a forum as well. I know what you mean about reading tuning instructions. First I was like WTF is , MAF curve, Injector slope, VE tables, open/closed loop, stft/ltft ect. But it starts making sense when you start doing it instead of reading about it. But I know it takes time and practice to be great.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Spend some time on the hp tuners forum. People get into detail with gm ,ford etc . Maybe get a basic street tune for now to get it working properly and be able to road test the vehicle. Then you'll decide when it's time for a retune and dyno it.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TPI TERROR
Spend some time on the hp tuners forum. People get into detail with gm ,ford etc . Maybe get a basic street tune for now to get it working properly and be able to road test the vehicle. Then you'll decide when it's time for a retune and dyno it.
I got to agree with this. You have to start somewhere.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

sounds like you have all the answers!! honestly i prefer closed lop cars, but here is the kicker!!, he mentioned a single turbo that means most likely his o2's are pre turbo and back pressure can really screw with the o2's.. sometimes i can make them work sometimes i simply cant, it depends on location and backpressure at the point of going open loop... i have been experimenting messing the bank select for the o2's and running one single o2 (for both banks) in the downpipe, and it would trim fuel for both banks... i believe that would work, i know ford guys do it on the turbo EEC compouter cars
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

RPD_Vette84 & tripblackls1, I'm doing the same build for my 74' datsun 260z any advice you guys can give would be great. I have the engine I just have to put it together but I'm gathering parts and redoing my suspension and drivetrain at the same time. My dad has the same car as me but he's using a LQ9. He just got his turbo yesterday ! We'd both would definitely like to see what kinda numbers you get !

What turbo's are you guys running ?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

On my rx7 it was a 5.3l with a T70 and i put both o2's on the downpipe cause i saw a couple people do it and never got a answer on if it was good or bad. It seemed to run pretty good until it blew a charge pipe off. On this one i plan on putting them off the manifolds/ crossover and my aem wideband a little bit down the downpipe.

Daz im still in the process of gettin parts together but at the moment im using a ebay T70 on a stock 4.8l. Tripplblack has a couple more things done to his.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
sounds like you have all the answers!! honestly i prefer closed lop cars, but here is the kicker!!, he mentioned a single turbo that means most likely his o2's are pre turbo and back pressure can really screw with the o2's.. sometimes i can make them work sometimes i simply cant, it depends on location and backpressure at the point of going open loop... i have been experimenting messing the bank select for the o2's and running one single o2 (for both banks) in the downpipe, and it would trim fuel for both banks... i believe that would work, i know ford guys do it on the turbo EEC compouter cars
Sounds like I have all the answers? Is this sarcasm?
Honestly I would consider myself a novice tuner at best, I have spent a ton of time researching, learning and experimenting, added to this I have a professional tuner as a friend that's gave me a ton of adivise
With that being said I feel my tune that is a work in progress is pretty good considering, that my 4.8 w/ms3 cam holds a steady 700rpm idle and very minmal surging .
Anyways I know every set up is different but there should be minmal backpresure until boost is being made and at that point it should be in open loop, I would imagine that you have had to deal with a quite a bit of cars with improperly sized turbo causing exsessive backpressure issues .
I wonder if a o2 sensor from a lnf or other factory turbo equipped o2 would would work better in this situations , I'm sure there probably designed to work with backpressure ?

Back on topic sorry for the
Old 11-23-2011, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Could also check out Nick at Competition GT in Costa Mesa, does great work especially with turbo cars and a little closer to you

Quick Reply: Who to tune with?