Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What's with us fbody owners???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 03:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
What a car blue books for and what it sells for are 2 entirely different things. The latter is the true value of the car.

Pricing your car higher than what it is worth does not make it worth that much either. Only if someone bought it for that amount would it be worth that much.

I bought mine about 5 years ago? and including shipping and CA reg and tax (which was almost $1k!) I was out around $10k (not exact, but close). Albeit it was a black auto Formula with 50k miles and not an SOM M6 WS6.
I don't price it there expecting to sell it. I honestly wouldn't EXPECT to sell it for more than $8500. But I have no real interest in selling it. The only way to get it out from under me is to overpay, and if someone's willing to do so, excellent for me. If not, I'll just keep driving it, like I intend to do for a while.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BirdsSince16
I'm 22 at the moment bought the car I have now for $8200 about a year and half ago. At the time it blue-booked for $10,200 or something like that with 100k miles. It's got 130k on it now and if anyone asks how much I want, I tell them $10,500.

I do this mostly because I don't really wanna sell it. But it's in fantastic shape and if someone wants to buy it from me for that, I'd be glad to sell it. I know that's expensive, so if they so no, that's fine. I'd rather keep driving it anyway.
Your not doing too bad, I paid $17k for my 01 WS6 in 2006 then sold it last year for $7k. Im sure F bodies arent quite as common out there hence the higher price, thatd go for quite a bit less out here. My DD 2000 WS6 A4 has 133k on it and id be lucky to get $6,000 for it out here.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1 Racing
I was part of the F-body scene from 2000-2005. Had a brand new A4 2000 Z28, then sold it for a 1999 Camaro SS because I had to have a T56. You can see by my join date that I've been around a while, but I go even further back on the old LS1.com, where I performed and documented the very first swap in the country of the '01 LS6 camshaft into into an LS1 F-body (my 2000 Z28) back in 2001. Got out of it in '05 because we needed to buy a house, so I let my LS1/F-body knowledge lapse, as I took on other things.

I just bought the car in my sig in October 2011 with 150k miles for $6500. I feel I got a killer deal because the car was garaged it's whole life, has all the usual stuff replaced already, and drives like it has 30k miles on it.

Why is my history important?

After being out of the F-body game for 6 years, then coming back, was a big surprise. There are so many more parts available now, and at prices I would have killed for back in 2001. Back in the day, you only had a few choices in cylinder heads. You could go MTI, or Morgan Motorsports (remember them?), TEA, and maybe a couple of other regional shops. No matter which way you went, you were gonna be out $1200 minimum (in 2001 dollars) for anything with decent flow. When you could find them used, they weren't much cheaper. And then you didn't have all of the factory options either. 243s where not even an option unless you bought from the dealer for big $$ or got lucky enough to find a wrecked Z06. Everything at that time was basically a ported 241.

Cam situation was a little different. Prices were similar to what they are now, but the choices were few. The same shops selling heads offered cams, but the tech isn't even close to what it is now. Even companies like Comp and Crane were still figuring things out. A big cam back in 2001 was .596 lift/230 duration, and then you had to worry about Comp Cams 918's breaking. The tech was well behind where it is now, and I seem to remember the reverse split-pattern grind being the rage around 2004. Also, we didn't have inexpensive and reliable LS7 lifters to replace our stockers...We had to pay $500-$800 for a decent replacement.

Tuning was still a black art. You basically bought a **** Hypertech for $300, or you boned out $500 for LS1Edit and either experimented yourself or looked for someone who knew what they were doing with it. Around 2003, even in SoCal, there were not a lot of tuners who really knew what was up. Mike Morgan was good, and he taught a few guys how to do it who were successful. Mark from Andy's Auto was an outstanding tuner, but the LS1 community suffered a huge loss when he was killed in a crash in summer 2003.

Nowadays, you can buy a used Predator for under $200 and have someone like Lew (06MonteSS) give you an email tune that's 90% of what you'd get from a dyno tune for about $120 more.

Even the basic stuff is dirt cheap. Where lids used cost $130 + $40 for the K&N filter, you can get the same setup now for a little over $100. The used market is even more unbelievable: Ceramic Long tube headers can easily be found for $300 used and sometimes a little less, if you shop around and don't mind a little rust. For the most part, you couldn't touch LTs for under $600 a decade ago. And don't even think about putting an LQ9 or LQ4 in your F-body. There just weren't that many around at that time. LS2s and LS3s were in the future, and factory power meant you got a Hot Cam with .525/.525 and 216/227, or you went ASA and got more duration and lope that could not be tuned down. Today, I can easily and cheaply build a 450+ HP motor by cobbling together nothing but used factory parts. Compare that with my 1999 SS that put 378 HP/382 lb-ft to the wheels in 2002 with some hand ported 241 heads, a Hot Cam, LTs, and a tune. There are plenty of stock headed, cam-only cars that make more than that now, and they paid a hell of a lot less than I did 10 years ago.

Sorry for the long walk down LS1 memory lane, but I wanted to put some context to those who think they're paying too much for mods and HP. I have news for you: It's never been cheaper than it is now, so you ought to keep that in mind when you're nickel and diming a vendor or seller.

End of rant!
I could not have said that any better. I remember in 2000 a 224/228 cam and hand ported stock heads was a radical $5k setup. Finding a tuner that knew what they were doing was like seeing Jesus walk again LOL Now the same setup can be had in the classifieds for under a grand and you you can mail order tune it.

Thanks for your post it brought back a ton of great memories!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisb07
I dont particulary see how someone that is younger owning a fbody can be the reason for price expectations of parts...? The economy would be a valid reason. I may not see it because I am 19 years old. However, I make 60k+ a year. I know thats not a lot(not too bad for someone turning 20 next month),.
im 19 and only make 8.25 an hour. you make a shitton of money.

if i made your amount my car would be a god as i only have to pay students loans.

i could have project reaper in full swing
Old 03-31-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick V.
im 19 and only make 8.25 an hour. you make a shitton of money.

if i made your amount my car would be a god as i only have to pay students loans.

i could have project reaper in full swing
Always seems that way, but unlce sam takes a bigger chunk and it always seems like its never enough, especially when you waste it on toys.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the truth.

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Always seems that way, but unlce sam takes a bigger chunk and it always seems like its never enough, especially when you waste it on toys.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, if I made $60k+ at 20, I would be compelled to purchase a home and a mail-order Russian wife.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Yeah, if I made $60k+ at 20, I would be compelled to purchase a home and a mail-order Russian wife.
Thats the smart thing to do, well maybe not the Russian wife part.

I started my job at 20 and have made between $68k and $75k a year and didnt get smart enough to buy a house until last year. Those other four years I couldnt tell you where the hell all of it went.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Teching In

funny thing is the c5 of today is the fbody of 5-8 years ago. pricing, owners, etc
Old 03-31-2012, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Thats the smart thing to do, well maybe not the Russian wife part.

I started my job at 20 and have made between $68k and $75k a year and didnt get smart enough to buy a house until last year. Those other four years I couldnt tell you where the hell all of it went.
What do you do for work?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Do you guys buy and mod your f-bodies to impress others, and base judgment of your own car by how car culture perceives them? Or do you buy it and mod it because you love it yourself and have your own hobby?

So many people complain because they are never satisfied with what other people think of them (or their car). Stop whining and be thankful for what you got and what you can afford to have in the future!

My $.02
Old 03-31-2012, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by colospgsTA
Do you guys buy and mod your f-bodies to impress others, and base judgment of your own car by how car culture perceives them? Or do you buy it and mod it because you love it yourself and have your own hobby?

So many people complain because they are never satisfied with what other people think of them (or their car). Stop whining and be thankful for what you got and what you can afford to have in the future!

My $.02
I mod my car because I never had a Lego set as a kid.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
I mod my car because I never had a Lego set as a kid.
I mod my car because I had legos as a kid lol

Mr Electric, yeah um you are still younger than me and I am now a home owner as well\. We enjoy our youth and spend our money foolishly. I will however use my money once my car sells, to buy a fun second gen project.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XpEdItIoUs
What do you do for work?
I repair and build mining equipment and heavy construction equipment

Originally Posted by colospgsTA

My $.02
I mod mine because I had a lego set as a kid and now cant leave a car stock. I always need to add my own style to it and lots of power.

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
I mod my car because I had legos as a kid lol

Mr Electric, yeah um you are still younger than me and I am now a home owner as well\. We enjoy our youth and spend our money foolishly. I will however use my money once my car sells, to buy a fun second gen project.
Yea thats the truth, we spend it foolishly but the real fools are the ones that never grow up and keep wasting their money.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i mod mine cuz.....oh wait i cant afford to

but i will mod it b/c as will ferrell said " I wanna go fast"
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

I repair and build mining equipment and heavy construction equipment
When I was looking for work a few years ago, I had an interview but they wanted someone with Heavy Machinery experience. What Kind of school of training did you do?

I have also noticed a lot more younger C5 owners
Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
If this is your daily driver and you threw in a ms4 cam with a stock convertered 2.73 auto , and can't afford to do a torque converter too, but you say the driveability is poor I have no simpathy for you... Well "someone on ls1tech said I could do it" lol....
Old 04-02-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CHELOZ28
When I was looking for work a few years ago, I had an interview but they wanted someone with Heavy Machinery experience. What Kind of school of training did you do?
Depending on what brand of equipment it was for it could have been my company, we have branches from Sacramento thorugh Arizona and New Mexico.

I havent taken to any formal schooling, I started at a local CAT dealer and got a little on the job training. After working for five months without a raise I got an offer from the company im with now for $7 an hour more. I worked there for a few months and heard about a training program they offer and asked my manager about it and he told me I was way beyond anyone the guys graduating that class. I really fell into this profession but now cant think of anything else id rather do.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My dad had a transmission shop in Sydney, he had a set price for a rebuild (which included quality parts and assembly, no corner cutting)... on a lot of occasions he had to fix other shops' cheap rebuilds (and earned the respect of new lifetime customers).
Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacement parts cost more (than before) because of inflation and short supply.

Tuning and rebuilds cost more if you want a good job.

Quick Reply: What's with us fbody owners???