Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

What's with us fbody owners???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What's with us fbody owners???

Ok so over the past couple years I have noticed we have become more and more ridiculous on our expectations of pricing for replacement parts. IE we want a guy to rebuild our trans for more power for cheap... why is this? If you want quality work you should pay for it, not expect someone to help you out, if that's the case, sell your car and buy a 1993 honda civic and get cheap parts there.

You get what you pay for, if you can't afford tires, trans, engine, whatever... buy a car that you can afford these things and let us who can afford our fun toys enjoy them...

Sorry had to rant, just tired of seeing people with our cars bring the value down since I know my car would have been close to $28k new when I was in high school.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Because the younger generation is getting into fbodys for one and two the economy going bad and everyone wanting to save money
Old 01-25-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the market on everything is down. you can get a c5 vette in the 9k range. Its the natural progression, you wont have the crazy 2002 camaro ss sell for $60,000 in 30 years like it did with 1st gens. some ls1 camaro and t/a's are worth more in parts.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

but i agree with you. you get what you pay for with work. But most people end up price shoping, look how long people went to Strickly even though he had bad reviews, but he was cheap lol
Old 01-25-2012, 02:01 AM
TECH Addict

you also gotta remember that these cars are old already. The last ones made are now 10 years old. There are tons of available parts for these cars, and lots of compatible parts too. I dont see a reason why we should pay as much as Mercedes owners to get these cars fixed. Before you know it, fbodies are gonna be the new fox bodies.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most people cringe at the thought of dropping $3k on a transmission or whatever to keep an $8k car running. A few major repairs can easily render an F-body "totaled". As other pointed out, times are tough and its a buyer's market. I wouldn't fault people for trying to save some money or find the best deal possible.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cos I'm always broke.

not to mention what capricio said, break 2 windows and a taillight and insurance will total the car.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

^lol true. I dont have a problem with dropping 4k in one thing. This is my hobby and i enjoy it and like to race. A car to some is just a hunk of metal. So people who drop money in a car are most likly moding it any way.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:36 AM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Blk98Vert
Because the younger generation is getting into fbodys
Mostly this. A lot of the old dumb ricer crowd has finally moved on to fbodies after years of getting embarassed. Now F.A.S.T. intake costs as much as their 2jz swaps and they bitch about it. Tech has been going to **** because of this too.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

op i dont really see your point, if i have to fix something you bet im going to try and find the best deal, i look for someone that does great work cheap, tdp does great work imo and there prices are great.if i could save money on something i will do it, thats more money to do something else.and the older a car is the more the value will go down, like i said i dont understand your rant , and there is nothing wrong with looking for a good deal
Old 01-25-2012, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

methinks he got stiffed on a deal as "too expensive" when he was asking a fair price more than once.

I can understand that. Everybody wants something for nothing/as little as possible, that's just the way things are.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Launching!

These are pretty old cars. Like someone stated before, These will be the new Fox bodies in some years. Shouldnt cost you 1/4 or more the value of the car to do a Trans rebuild or something like that.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:27 AM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just because the value of the car cheapens, doesnt mean the value of replacement parts, service or performance parts get cheaper.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking for replacement parts are one thing, looking to get performance work and tunes then trying to chew the price down is another.... That is why I do not haggle at all on my pricing, I get phone calls all the time of guys trying to chew me down in pricing for tunes, I won't waver, they tell me so and so will do it for xxx I say then take it to them, but if and when you need me to fix it, it's going to cost you the same amount... If you can't afford to do it right don't do it at all... If this is your daily driver and you threw in a ms4 cam with a stock convertered 2.73 auto , and can't afford to do a torque converter too, but you say the driveability is poor I have no simpathy for you... Well "someone on ls1tech said I could do it" lol....
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

low ballers and cheap *****
Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think he's more focused on people who buy these cars and then bitch about the upkeep costs and cut corners buy buying cheap parts that fail.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00SSLS1
low ballers and cheap *****
x2. half the reason i sold my SS was cuz the people who own them now. When i first got it there was alot of respect for it. But it grew into everytime i would see a fellow f-body or such all i would hear was "wanna race?" or some sort of trash talk.

back to the truck world for me. Truck guys are 1000x time chill.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
op i dont really see your point, if i have to fix something you bet im going to try and find the best deal, i look for someone that does great work cheap, tdp does great work imo and there prices are great.if i could save money on something i will do it, thats more money to do something else.and the older a car is the more the value will go down, like i said i dont understand your rant , and there is nothing wrong with looking for a good deal

No I like good deals, I got my car for a good deal, but it is more of a you get what you pay for, I do not trust some guy who says he does great work and will do it for half the price, I will pay more when it comes to performance parts and get it from reputable places that have a good track record, hence why my car was tuned by Ryne at CMS, he even helped me with tech questions when I had them, he still helps me.

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
methinks he got stiffed on a deal as "too expensive" when he was asking a fair price more than once.

I can understand that. Everybody wants something for nothing/as little as possible, that's just the way things are.

Nahh I would not complain about that I woulod just tell the person to kick rocks and good luck, no loss to me. I just have noticed the increase of people trying to cheap out on stuff and all too often complain about not having a "reliable" car.

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
Looking for replacement parts are one thing, looking to get performance work and tunes then trying to chew the price down is another.... That is why I do not haggle at all on my pricing, I get phone calls all the time of guys trying to chew me down in pricing for tunes, I won't waver, they tell me so and so will do it for xxx I say then take it to them, but if and when you need me to fix it, it's going to cost you the same amount... If you can't afford to do it right don't do it at all... If this is your daily driver and you threw in a ms4 cam with a stock convertered 2.73 auto , and can't afford to do a torque converter too, but you say the driveability is poor I have no simpathy for you... Well "someone on ls1tech said I could do it" lol....

Yeah Ryne, very good point, I know when I do finally get around to piecing my turbo motor together I will be back at your shop for a tune.

Also this was created more to stir the pot and get some discussion going in the western section. Let's make an epic thread here folks lol.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I dont particulary see how someone that is younger owning a fbody can be the reason for price expectations of parts...? The economy would be a valid reason. I may not see it because I am 19 years old. However, I make 60k+ a year. I know thats not a lot(not too bad for someone turning 20 next month), but it allows me to spend what I need to on my TA. I do consider myself a car enthusiast though and just about every penny extra I have after bills goes towards my car.

I do see a lot of fbodys in my town that just make me cringe and sick to my stomach with what some people have done to them. I saw a trans am the other day where the window tint was cut out like flames and had a stick on hood scoop that you can get from Autozone...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrisb07
II saw a trans am the other day where the window tint was cut out like flames and had a stick on hood scoop that you can get from Autozone...
You like my AutoZone hood Sticker?

jk

But I agree Adam. Its like in my line of work. People are shocked when I quote them on a full car vinyl wrap. The first response is, "Well I heard that so and so does it for half that!" I always say, Please get me a business card so I know who to send my customers to that want low quality work using poor quality material.

Last edited by ConElite; 01-25-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quick Reply: What's with us fbody owners???