Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Any good Dyno tuners in socal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds about right. Tunning has come a long way in the last ten years and so have many tuners. The good ones take their time and get everything right. I've seen some with a car on their dyno for the better part of the day and time is money.
The following users liked this post:
Qdttracer9 (07-20-2021)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking it to cal speeed performance...
Old 07-22-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by topfig1
That sounds about right. Tunning has come a long way in the last ten years and so have many tuners. The good ones take their time and get everything right. I've seen some with a car on their dyno for the better part of the day and time is money.
Holy crap! 700$ to tune makes me sad .
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by a-low
Some people dont get that 600-700 isnt something that a college student wants to pay willingly, when there are other options.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

how about 2000 when your motor blows ??

personally I wouldn't trust just anyone to tune my car

from what I've read and people I've talked to RPM and CMS are the best around here..

on a side note has anyone heard anything about auston from RPM I hear hes the new tuner working with Charlie
Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smileyou
Some people dont get that 600-700 isnt something that a college student wants to pay willingly, when there are other options.
You get what you pay for, you want great, then you pay for it.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM
11 Second Club

Dyno tune vs mail order tune... safety and 10-15 extra whp for what, a price difference of $300? No brainer, go with the dyno tune.

(safety because the dyno tune will be safer for your motor than the mail-order tune)

If that's too much, then save up and don't install the part until you have enough money to get it set up right...
Old 07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

spend thousands on mods then bitch about tune prices? lol
Old 07-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00SSLS1
spend thousands on mods then bitch about tune prices? lol

.......If you dont have anything to add to the thread but bs. Then **** off. K?

ANYWAY...

Im either going to get it tuned at cal speed or get a tsp mail order tune since erin assured me that this setup is so common it shouldnt even be a issue with the extensive experience they have.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

i would charge $650... apparently a 5.3 in a swapped car, in 2bar SD , with that will need a 4L80e segment swap is a cheap tune... you guys have no idea how the business works, i have to pay for my overhead, my $55,000 dyno that i am using to tune your car, my expertise, my employees, my hptuners credits, and electricity (apparently eddy current dyno's are easy on power usage)... a lot you guys say i dont like tuning on f-bodies anymore... this is why i get this crap all the time.....
Old 07-24-2012, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryne @ CMS
i would charge $650... apparently a 5.3 in a swapped car, in 2bar SD , with that will need a 4L80e segment swap is a cheap tune... you guys have no idea how the business works, i have to pay for my overhead, my $55,000 dyno that i am using to tune your car, my expertise, my employees, my hptuners credits, and electricity (apparently eddy current dyno's are easy on power usage)... a lot you guys say i dont like tuning on f-bodies anymore... this is why i get this crap all the time.....
Can i hold you on the 650? Itll be a few months before i need a tune but if you garantee that price youll have my business. I understand that my paticular combo would be more $
and you have a very good reputation.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

Can i hold you on the 650? Itll be a few months before i need a tune but if you garantee that price youll have my business. I understand that my paticular combo would be more $
If I had the extra cash I would certainly go to him....due to the fact that I spoke to erin and matt from tsp. Im still on the fence... of course I would love the dyno tune. But I dont hear that many people that have been tuned by cal speedperformance and I hear goood things about tsp's mail order tunes from others on this site.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

here's the reason you need a dyno tune:

Every single engine is different. You get 100 BONE STOCK camaro's and strap them on a dyno, and they will all read a different number, with probably up to 40-50hp differences. Now you want a mailorder tune to go on your car (which the tuner has never seen) and you expect it to be perfectly set up for your combo. This will get you close enough, but not good enough. Also if you have any underlying mechanical issues, a new mailorder tune could make them worse, but you would see it on a dyno, and have the opportunity to fix it.

Think of it this way: You wouldnt put a high lift cam in without some upgraded valvesprings and pushrods would you? Yes, it will run OK with the stock stuff, but youre going to give up a lot of potential, as well as give the chance for failure. Think the same way with your tune. Yes a mail order will work, but is it ideal? No.

I would recommend CMS.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
here's the reason you need a dyno tune:

Every single engine is different. You get 100 BONE STOCK camaro's and strap them on a dyno, and they will all read a different number, with probably up to 40-50hp differences. Now you want a mailorder tune to go on your car (which the tuner has never seen) and you expect it to be perfectly set up for your combo. This will get you close enough, but not good enough. Also if you have any underlying mechanical issues, a new mailorder tune could make them worse, but you would see it on a dyno, and have the opportunity to fix it.

Think of it this way: You wouldnt put a high lift cam in without some upgraded valvesprings and pushrods would you? Yes, it will run OK with the stock stuff, but youre going to give up a lot of potential, as well as give the chance for failure. Think the same way with your tune. Yes a mail order will work, but is it ideal? No.

I would recommend CMS.

Can I borrow 300 dollars? Please!!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lmao! For those who always say well you spent this much for this this much for that etc
not all builds are high dollar builds. My turbo build is on the cheap. That's the point of mine to
stick it to some of my friends with their high dollar turbo honda crap. The most expensive part
will be the trans.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lmao! For those who always say well you spent this much for this this much for that etc
not all builds are high dollar builds. My turbo build is on the cheap. That's the point of mine to
stick it to some of my friends with their high dollar turbo honda crap. The most expensive part
will be the trans.
Honestly there is no such thing as a "cheap" turbo build, yes the cost is less but the parts don't last as long and in the long run it turns into a more expensive project, and going cheap on the tune is not somewhere you want to go cheap with a turbo motor, lets say the car goes lean because a $250 got you an off the shelf tune, now your car is going wicked lean under boost and I can tell you that is no good, heypal and I saw that when we pulled a Diamond Racing forged piston from his impala and it had a melted hole in the skirt.

As far as Ryne holding the price, I am fairly certain he would only quote it if that is his price, he has never changed the price unless the customer wanted to go a different direction.

Ryne as far as not wanting to tune Fbodies, you know you have my business I honestly would not trust any other person to tune my car.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

no need to hold that price, that is my standardized tuning rate....
Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Launching!

It is pretty simple really you get what you pay for.
if you want the best go to CMS.

Nothing but quality workmenship from Ryne and his shop
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Default Tune

Good luck, I had bad luck with a cheap tuner. He was OK to let me leave with my car backfiring on start up. Turns out he didn't connect the cam sensor wire, he said it must have vibrated loose?????????????

He told me that he didn't know how to run a shop back then (2009) maybe he is better now.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

cms (ryne) made 416hp 412tq on my 01 WS6 i had that EXACT same cam...car ran perfect and nevr had a problem with it...id recommend cms as well...

Quick Reply: Any good Dyno tuners in socal?