Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

longtube header are they illigal

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default longtube header are they illigal

Just bought a ws6. 1998 and it got longtube headers and no cats with two old school chamber glasspack mufflers but I wanted to know if i get pulled over how much would the find be or would the car get impounded.as for the smog it pass because I got a friend that does it and he passed it.I live in california
Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it pass smog??
Or your friend just passed it?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 PM
Teching In

Nope my friend passed it it won't pass because no cats
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

as the car sits, yes it is illegal in california. any other state that does not have emissions testing ( like good old flordia) the car and longtube headers are not illegal. they are illegal because the longtubes you have have no cats, therefore would not pass california's smog control. having your friend pass you would work up until the day some douchebag officer decides to pull you over for suspecting long tubes and then it all begins to unravel. keep them at your own risk.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Yes i will cause it sounds so nice but I had a shop give me an estimate for cats for 660 but I dont think it will sound as loud
Old 11-18-2012, 11:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get cats and have them installed in the existing pipes. Summit sells good high flow cats you can put in there. Do you have true duals?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Yes there true duals but I heard it not gonna sound the same
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

no, it wont sound the same. just depends on what you want to do with the car. It is illegal here, and if a cop decides to cite you for it, you'll be screwed out of a good chunk of $$$. you may have to go to the state ref and show it has been corrected (removing the headers and adding cats). Or I believe you can pay a fee, which is around ~$700ish from what I've heard. And if you have a shop/friend doing that, I'm sure he told you to never mention him or his shop, and never tell anyone that you passed with that stuff, cause if he gets caught up with that he's going to be in serious trouble. Its a pretty hefty fine for them, if not worse.

But, there are plenty of illegal cars rolling around. It's just a chance you take when you want to go that route. just like having tint or no plates (though those have a much smaller fee of course). For stuff like this, a large part of how things get handled has to do with the particular officer you are dealing with, and what you were doing to get pulled over in the first place. It's all at their discretion really.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 11-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:48 PM
Teching In

Ok thanks ima just keep them anyways I just use the car on the weekend on sunnydays justto pick up the girls not into racing but love to have the fastest cars from all my friends
Old 11-19-2012, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea man longtube headers are illigal and that 5/0 is gonna hate on your ws6 for that old school exhaust! the find from them is expensive nowadays in cali
Old 11-21-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You need cats... you can get away with LTs, but no cats... cali is gay! I'm stationed out here from FL, so thaey can't **** with me at all... I need to add some LTs on my t/a tho lol
Old 12-12-2012, 09:53 PM
FormerVendor

Any longtube set up will not pass smog ever here in CA. Its unfortunate, but true. If you want to get it to pass smog, and make power, I suggest a CARB approved procharger or vortech.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

If the cop knows you have L/T headers, having cats is a moot point but cats will eliminate the unburnt fuel smell so you will not raise suspicion.
Now the cost. I was pulled over and the cop discovered I had L/T. He wrote me a ticket and I had to have the car smogged at a Ref station. The expensive part was not the ticket but buying parts (mostly used) in order to make my car smog legal. Because my car passed smog at the ref station, the judge dropped the fine to $285. I know someone last year just opted to leave is car as is and paid $525. Now that doesn't mean he is off the hook. If he or anyone were to get pulled over and the cop discovered you already had a previous ticket for illegal exhaust/smog modification, I imagine your fine would be much more and your car may be impounded.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

cats acts as a little muffler... when i took my stock y with cats off for a ory, you hear the difference!

Quick Reply: longtube header are they illigal