Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Need Help!!!! Fresh Ls1 build No Oil Pressure!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help!!!! Fresh Ls1 build No Oil Pressure!!!!!!

So I just installed my ls- in my fist gen Camaro and come start time no oil pressure. I've read many threads on ways to get the oul pressure up and no luck. Anyone that can help will be great!!! Please all input will be considered thanks again!!!
Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the front plug installed on the front of the motor on the driver side of the oil pump? Looks like a small freeze plug.

And do you have this Plastic galley plug installed in the rear of the motor? Pic below?

If so.

Then sump problem o ring problem most likely.

Clint
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Yes that oil plug on driver side is plugged. The plastic plugger, can you be a little detailed on where it goes??
Old 11-20-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

did you pinch your oil pump o ring?
Old 11-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

I'm like 99% sure I didn't. I took my time with that becuase I didn't want to reopen it.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

had a similar thing happen after a fresh rebuld .. ended up being the bearings were off in motor.. had to take back out and send it back to the motor shop.... try a high flow pump first.... its either the pump or bearing imo

Last edited by chevyrunner; 11-21-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cam bearings installed wrong or just barely off. The bearings are not too bad in the LS motors but just tiny enough. Is the oil coming up to the rockers? And as already stated the Oring on the oil pump. The only other thing is that the oil pump could be bad, a clog in the pick up tube.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

have you actually attempted to start it? I couldnt get pressure manually I have to do a quick start up it built pressure instantly... also you never said how you checked ls1s dont have very much oil out of the pushrods at idle have you checked it with a manual pressure gauge?
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Ok we'll the bottom end is a used 60k miles short block I got from a member. Everything else is new. From the cam on up. Ls2 ported oil pump is what I'm starting to lean on... I also have the manual pressure gauge that not getting any reading what so ever.
I did start it up for like 5 seconds and nothing, twice Didn't want to stress the motor anymore then that.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Teching In

if you have it taken out, you should plastigage your mains and see if you have excessive clearance that would prevent you from building pressure, but the simple fact that you have no pressure could indicate your oil pump is bad, you should swap the pump and retry
Old 11-21-2012, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I always ask though, if the oil pump is just a gear rotating inside a pump casing, what can go bad unless it actually breaks? Ive never seen an oil pressure be the pump unless the gear/rotor was serverely worn or broken and I believe the OP used a new pump. Its usually the pickup tube o ring, oil barbell plug or a bearing issue.

Seth, if the pump and other things check out, try packing it with vaseline to help it prime and build suction. Thats what I did with my high volume oil pump on the LS3.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by C5natie
I always ask though, if the oil pump is just a gear rotating inside a pump casing, what can go bad unless it actually breaks? Ive never seen an oil pressure be the pump unless the gear/rotor was serverely worn or broken and I believe the OP used a new pump. Its usually the pickup tube o ring, oil barbell plug or a bearing issue.

Seth, if the pump and other things check out, try packing it with vaseline to help it prime and build suction. Thats what I did with my high volume oil pump on the LS3.
Just to make sure that it is covered... This isn't a stroker motor correct? If so you will need to do some mods to the widage tray and that will offset your oil pick up tube and press it into the oil pan.

Are you using a double or single timing chain? If you are using a double chain make sure that the bolts are not hitting the timing cover and also they have a tendency to leak out the shims to offset the pump.

Did you try using a good oil pressure sending unit from another car? Try that and use the one that might be bad on the car that you know the gauges work correctly.

Did you make sure to attach all the ground wires? You need to make 100% sure that it is a mechanical issue vs electrical. Did you get the car started? It will usually take about 10 seconds or more to get oil pressure. Did you make sure to full the oil filter with oil? As long as there was proper assembly lube the start up should be fine.

If you do finally get some oil pressure make sure to watch the pressure. You want to make sure that the pressure doesnt drop off once the motor gets warm. You can have about say like 3-5 psi drop but not 20-30. Those are not the exact number just used as a ref

Last but not least Makes sure that the oring is in correctly and you put in enough oil and the drain plug is in correctly. No pun. Seen it done before.

If you have any question feel free to give me a call. 209-559-7342

Quick Reply: Need Help!!!! Fresh Ls1 build No Oil Pressure!!!!!!