Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

2013 California smog thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Wells
That is for a *wink*wink* smog.
Normal STAR stations are probably about what it cost last year, plus a tad more because nothing goes down.
Ah ok i misunderstood. I thought they were saying the STAR smog was more expensive. Out here in the SFV i've heard as high as $400 for a *wink* *wink* smog.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slammin sam87
Us G body owners are going to get hit hard. It's already happening, it's no coincidence either. The past couple of years of road side smog checks are a result of this. They found that cars that passed smog and were resmogged later on random road checks failed... Smdh.
Same here... I am a emissions inspector for my job here in Denver, i took the class to get my license and discussed with the State public health guy my build... I tried to explain my issues like how they went away with the collector plates for 25+ cars which would make them exempt from testing as long as the tags were current. I explained that the engine i was swapping in was going to burn alot cleaner then the OG engine, All i was told that if i wanted to build a collector car then to get a "real" collector car... And that most 80's rides were JUNK! I also replied thast most of us can't afford to build a classic camaro, mustang etc etc.. I think that if the donor engine is cleaner then the OG then why not? I have to install all of the donor engines emissions components not to mention the wiring issues etc... They are just making harder for us!!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 AM
11 Second Club

I just smogged my 2000 firebird with a SLP Air Lid and SLP Full Exhaust and passed in 15mins for $64.00 with cert, in central california.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Ah ok i misunderstood. I thought they were saying the STAR smog was more expensive. Out here in the SFV i've heard as high as $400 for a *wink* *wink* smog.
Wow!. My guy is $150...

Originally Posted by MAXXLIMIT
I just smogged my 2000 firebird with a SLP Air Lid and SLP Full Exhaust and passed in 15mins for $64.00 with cert, in central california.
SLP: Street Legal Performance. Unless I'm missing something and you have longtubes. But even then bolt ons will pass the tail pipe no problem and a lot of people don't care about visual stuff if it still passes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 94 White T/A
Wow!. My guy is $150...

SLP: Street Legal Performance. Unless I'm missing something and you have longtubes. But even then bolt ons will pass the tail pipe no problem and a lot of people don't care about visual stuff if it still passes
Haven't been to a STAR station yet, have you.
If you just happen to go to a smog station, and they fail you, the consequences in PRK are quite severe.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and plan on having less than fun with the smog referee.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Staging Lane

Full exhuast, Lid, MSD wires, E3 plugs, LS2 intake, other then that stock. They guy did tell my that in June they will be getting all new computers system...

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Anymore details on your car? mods?
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't been to a STAR station yet, have you.
If you just happen to go to a smog station, and they fail you, the consequences in PRK are quite severe.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200, and plan on having less than fun with the smog referee.
No I haven't, and I'm not looking forward to it. But for now I'm good, all I have is a catback and lid
Old 01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"I think that if the donor engine is cleaner then the OG then why not? I have to install all of the donor engines emissions components not to mention the wiring issues etc... They are just making harder for us!!"

That has been my point. What happened to clean air? If the cars are blowing cleaner then that should be what it is about. A lot of think it is now a revenue enhancement for the state.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

I just spent the last hour reading all the info on the BAR's website, and it looks really bad for all of us. The DAD (data acquisition device) which plugs into the OBDII port on the car will be able to read calibration IDs and cross reference them to what the vehicle manufacturer states are acceptable OEM calibrations.

I don't know what kind of ID HP Tuners will show, but it will definitely be different that what GM flashed on all our PCMs. Here's the info about what the computer software/equipment needs to be able to read:
http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...2%20V2%205.pdf

Go to page 13, last paragraph

And on the new smog test guidelines, it states that the existence of a modified ecm will warrant a failure.

http://www.autorepair.ca.gov/80_BARR...nual%20web.pdf

See page 21, the last paragraph.

Bear in mind, this is all hypothetical, and we won't know until real people with tunes go out and get tested. But assuming it is true, I imagine the only approved tunes would be those that came with the CARB approved forced induction kits that had a handheld tuner included with them.

As much as I love my car and the lsx motors, if it gets this bad, I'm selling the car and going back to pre 1975 vehicles and will do a lsx swap instead.

Some guys on corvette forum were already talking about making a stand alone dummy ecu to fool the smog computer and put the OBDII port in the same place with an independent power supply, with a factory tune with the correct VIN number to the car flashed on it.

**** this state.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1sick68
Full exhuast, Lid, MSD wires, E3 plugs, LS2 intake, other then that stock. They guy did tell my that in June they will be getting all new computers system...
So they didn't fail you on visual for not having your egr valve? Or is your car an 01+?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Default 2013 smog

I'm very interested in the ECM nightmare mentioned above. I'm a clutch master swap away from taking my LS swapped 92' to a BAR station to see if I can register it as a 99'. I bought this car new in 92 and have kept it in new condition all these years only now to be facing selling it because of where I live. Gotta love it.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Teching In

So glad im transferring from this state!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrot87duval02SS
So glad im transferring from this state!!!
Do it FAST... I left San Fernando valley and moved to F. Worth TX about 2 years ago and all the emission testing is A LOT better for us with our cars... It's an obd test (96 later) and quick safety test. A regular inspection is $39.75 but I pay $60 for my special need inspection.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wouldn't this put a lot of speedshops and tuners out of business?
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Marc3.4V6
Wouldn't this put a lot of speedshops and tuners out of business?
I am sure that this is going to contribute to curtail their business.
In the PRK, is seems to be the only socially acceptable way to have your cake and eat it too is buy a new performance rod, mod the heck out of it, and if you don't sell it or transfer it you have 6 years for smog requirements check to roll around. Then you re-install all of the original equipment, smog the car, & then sell the car. Then sell the speed equipment separately. Lots of new Vette's going this route and a few new Caddies going it too. gthe problem for the buyer is that he / she just bought a 6 year old car that looks original, has low mileage, and the car is beat to death.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Wouldn't this put a lot of speedshops and tuners out of business?"

That is what is going to happen. The Obama administration went after a business that was selling upgraded "chips" for $500,000. That will put most out of business. Just a matter of time before we are all driving Chevy Volts or what ever the government dictates.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still waiting for smog results from someone with a tuned PCM before I jump to conclusions. Many CA tuners claim that tuned PCMs will remain transparent to smog inspection devices.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I'm still waiting for smog results from someone with a tuned PCM before I jump to conclusions. Many CA tuners claim that tuned PCMs will remain transparent to smog inspection devices.
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable but what would say if it was your biz?
Old 01-26-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable but what would say if it was your biz?
I wouldn't lie to my customers.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Village Idiot

I live Santa Monica, Ca... I was paying a guy $200 to smog my **** every other year... He got pinched and in jail because he got greedy probably...

My car is now Non op'd... Sticker is still current on the year but not the month.. I don't know what I'm gonna do now... May sell my car soon..

Help and pm please... I got 300 bucks willing to spend to get my heap thru smog..

Cali for Smog's sucks... It's almost impossible to mod a car these days... Hope also that this post is not incriminating... Yipes!!!

Quick Reply: 2013 California smog thread