Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Ca race car dmv rules

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca race car dmv rules

what happens if i have a registered car and i want to make it for a track only car and will never drive it on the street...what will my local dragstrip say with a car with expired reg since i wont be paying that...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You do not have to have current vehicle registration to run your car at the track. But if you are that worried about it... register your car with the DMV as an "Inoperable Vehicle Registration".
Old 04-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Teching In

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Register non-op before your current tags expire. otherwise you'll start to rack up late fees. After you register non-op, do not get caught driving it on the streets. You risk impound and owing back fees. Same could apply if you're on the streets 6 months or more expired. Non-op keeps it easy for you and if you ever decide to sell, the buyer won't have to deal with any back fees.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MarineSS
Register non-op before your current tags expire. otherwise you'll start to rack up late fees. After you register non-op, do not get caught driving it on the streets. You risk impound and owing back fees. Same could apply if you're on the streets 6 months or more expired. Non-op keeps it easy for you and if you ever decide to sell, the buyer won't have to deal with any back fees.
Good advice.
sounds like someone is speaking from experience.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:03 AM
On The Tree

only reason you would want it registered is if you plan on doing street legal events
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a Non-op means you can still drive on the street a very limited amount of miles. Check first but I believe it is under 100/year. I had an old pickup registered non-op in like 2004 so the rules could have changed.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:55 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Also a Non-op means you can still drive on the street a very limited amount of miles. Check first but I believe it is under 100/year. I had an old pickup registered non-op in like 2004 so the rules could have changed.
Straight from DMV, you need a permit to move it on public roads...

Operating Your PNO Vehicle

If the vehicle is on PNO status with DMV and the vehicle needs to be operated for:OnedumDay—to move the vehicle from its current storage place to a new storage place, or for repairs, alteration, vehicle inspection, smog inspection, weighing, construction (for an incomplete vehicle), or for its permanent wrecking or dismantling. You may obtain a Vehicle Moving Permit (REG 172) at a DMV office without paying renewal fees.Regular Use—full registration renewal fees (including full or prorated weight fees for commercial vehicles) must be paid prior to operating the vehicle or penalties may be assessed.VehiclesdumExemptdumFromdumReportingdumOp erationaldumStatusHistorical vehicles, horseless carriages, and vehicles of special interest that are part of a collection and are not operated asdum defined indumCalifornia Vehicle Codedum(CVC) §§5004, 5004.5, and 5051.dumOther exempted vehicles include:MopedsVehicles with registrations that expire while in dealer or lessor/retailer inventoryVehicles with registrations that expire while being held for lien sale by an authorized towing company or parking facilityVehicles which are part of an apportioned or permanent fleetSpecial Equipment (SE) as defined in Vehicle Code §§245, 565, 570, and 575Unrecovered stolen vehiclesTitle Only vehicles that are currently located and registered in a state other than California
Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

There it is, yea permit. I only had it on cuz no-op because I was mid motor swap when the reg came due. Which was admittedly poor planning on my part but hell I was 17 what did I know. Never needed it moved but I remember seeing something about being able to drive it without needing full registration.

Last edited by ryridesmotox; 04-08-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Hey thanks guys appreciate it
Old 04-08-2013, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Does my car have to be garaged with it on non op....I hear that the city doesnt want to see non running vehicles in view......just like I will get fined if I dont cut.my grass in front of.the..house....we.cant even leave our garbage cans in front of the house...this is Ontario...I got a letter in the mail.stating this...not the vehicle part.tho..I heard somewhere else I believe
Old 04-08-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well how can they prove it hasn't moved in your drive way? I would say get out there every now and again and clean around where it's parked so it doesn't look like it is gathering dust...
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freshofftheboat
Does my car have to be garaged with it on non op....I hear that the city doesnt want to see non running vehicles in view......just like I will get fined if I dont cut.my grass in front of.the..house....we.cant even leave our garbage cans in front of the house...this is Ontario...I got a letter in the mail.stating this...not the vehicle part.tho..I heard somewhere else I believe
Non op is a registration issue between DMV (CA) and you so the the city has no say. They can ticket a car on a public streets that is not registered for use on public roads and some city's have codes about what you can have on your property. I know in San Marino its a violation to do an oil change in your driveway or do any mechanical work in your home property. You have to check the city code but unless the car is in pieces and really looks like crap, I cant see them telling you anything even if it doesnt run.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Teching In

this is the car ....its not too bad ...i would be driving it but i know it wont pass smog...wouldnt 2 years ago not even with a new cat....had to pay that extra just to get it to pass...so now 2 yrs later...i did pay its registration ..i just never got the smog ...so im deciding now if i should fix the problem...pay the man...or make it my track only car..its an 81 first year of the computer controlled emissions i believe...the shops around here act like i dont speak english and dont want to help me the right way...its always..."its your cat its clogged"...and im like no its not the ******* cat
Attached Thumbnails Ca race car dmv rules-2013.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

And if you non-op it, make sure if you tow it, you don't even have any of the wheels on the non-op car touching the road. Has to be completely off of public roads.

-Don
Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Flatbed all the way to Irwindale!

Quick Reply: Ca race car dmv rules