Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

California Star Smog

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Star Smog

So my question is, with the new Star program. If you can pass visual, you can run some big power cam/heads and with a good tune, you could pass smog since no check engine lights would be present. Is this correct?

Seems like this is much better for those wanting to make big power in newer cars since you could just go to a Star smog place instead of a tail pipe sniffer place. Am I wrong?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Part of the test is still plugging into your vehicles computer, do not know the ramifications of having a modified tune, I personally would not chance it.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's still up to the tech if they feel like running the sniffer on your car. My buddy owns a smog shop that is star certified and he still runs the sniffer.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Fill me in... the sniffer is now optional?? If so that's great, because I know a place where they won't put it on the sniffer if they don't have to.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fruitsalad
Fill me in... the sniffer is now optional?? If so that's great, because I know a place where they won't put it on the sniffer if they don't have to.
Yup! Only applies to cars 1999+ though

decent read:
http://www.examiner.com/article/intr...-to-know-about
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01dropTOP
Yup! Only applies to cars 1999+ though

decent read:
http://www.examiner.com/article/intr...-to-know-about
That's awesome. Time for a big cam and catless exhaust.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

But there was word that this Star test would be able to figure out if your computer factory tune was altered..Does anyone have a solid answer on this? Does anyone effin know or is this just speculation???
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dan
But there was word that this Star test would be able to figure out if your computer factory tune was altered..Does anyone have a solid answer on this? Does anyone effin know or is this just speculation???
I dont think it would be able to tell. I mean, sometimes dealers update the factory tune, even if its just an update. But that still means its "tuned."

I dont think they would have the same equipment as the dealer's (Tech 2, etc). That would be costly because they would need software for GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. Which would negate the whole reasoning behind the new law.

I think its just checking if the emissions sensors "readiness." Meaning if they put out any erronious codes/faultyness, the test would fail. For example, in my case, i just pulled the AIR pump relay to stop the pump from working, that would show up as "faulty/not ready".

I believe tuners trick/tune the PCM into thinking the sensors are "ready/ok," which I dont think the smog test would pick up.

Again, this is just my opinion.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01dropTOP
I dont think it would be able to tell. I mean, sometimes dealers update the factory tune, even if its just an update. But that still means its "tuned."

I dont think they would have the same equipment as the dealer's (Tech 2, etc). That would be costly because they would need software for GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, etc. Which would negate the whole reasoning behind the new law.

I think its just checking if the emissions sensors "readiness." Meaning if they put out any erronious codes/faultyness, the test would fail. For example, in my case, i just pulled the AIR pump relay to stop the pump from working, that would show up as "faulty/not ready".

I believe tuners trick/tune the PCM into thinking the sensors are "ready/ok," which I dont think the smog test would pick up.

Again, this is just my opinion.
The purpose of the bill, as stated in the bill language itself, is to streamline and economize the smog process. Is it even possible to tell if a PCM has been modified apart from looking at actual tune values and tables in older cars like F-bodies?

I know they're already set up with computers that check your sensor readiness values. They were allowing cars with three or fewer unready sensors to pass the OBDII section of the test and move on to the sniffer, so my guess is for the new version they're either going to up the standards to all sensors ready or all but one sensor ready, or they're going to read latent codes too and fail you for those.

All speculation anyway. I guess we'll find out when we get those nice little letters in the mail.

Quick Reply: California Star Smog