Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

[CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like many others don't hate California (it's a beautiful state), but I do have a strong dislike for what the controlling political party here has done to restrict our personal freedom, and ability to prosper.
Anyway best of luck with your endeavors here in CA..
Old 11-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Op-
No. I live in Pasadena. Its outside of LA by enough miles to somewhat escape the "big city" feeling, but still plenty close to be a short trip. Aside from the strict laws, it really is an awesome state. The weather is AMAZING pretty much all of the time. The people are pretty cool. Most drivers arent any good, but its like that anywhere. Good roads to cruise through the moutains if youre into that.
Pasadena is actually where my new job is located! Any recommendations on somewhere affordable, but safe to live for a year or so? I'd like to keep my rent under $1500. My only criteria are a garage for the vette and a manageable commute to downtown Pasadena area. What do you think?

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I like many others don't hate California (it's a beautiful state), but I do have a strong dislike for what the controlling political party here has done to restrict our personal freedom, and ability to prosper.
Anyway best of luck with your endeavors here in CA..
Yeah I know what you mean. This is going to be an interesting transition as I'm conservative / libertarian. I'd like to think the Government doesn't know what's best for me; I do.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:52 PM
Teching In

No. I live in Pasadena. Its outside of LA by enough miles to somewhat escape the "big city" feeling, but still plenty close to be a short trip. Aside from the strict laws, it really is an awesome state. The weather is AMAZING pretty much all of the time. The people are pretty cool. Most drivers arent any good, but its like that anywhere. Good roads to cruise through the moutains if youre into that.
True, it depends on where you live as well housing in Orange County is much more than somewhere else like corona/Bakersfield even if the part isn't that great
Old 11-23-2013, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under $1500 with a garage will be tough around that area, to be somewhere decent. I lived on the North side of the 210 freeway in Pasadena a couple years back and we had gang problems and shootings once a month or so.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Under $1500 with a garage will be tough around that area, to be somewhere decent. I lived on the North side of the 210 freeway in Pasadena a couple years back and we had gang problems and shootings once a month or so.
Once a month is pretty bad but I lived in worse growing up, it was almost weekly, so pointless
Old 11-25-2013, 12:37 AM
Teching In

I lived in a smog exempt county (Mariposa) in california. If you click on the link and scroll a little downward, you'll see a map of the exempt counties in gray. You only have to smog it once and then never again as long as you own the car. I found a sympathetic smog guy who was cool with me or you can find someone you can pay off at the smog station. I paid $200 plus the smog fees to someone who passed me through a friend I knew.

Be warned that some Counties have highway patrol(CHP) who specifically look for modified cars to pull over and roadside inspect(the 99 corridor in Central california), but they mainly look for Hondas or imports since a lot of those guys are also gang members in that area.

"http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=104986"

So there are certain area that are smog exempt in Riverside COunty.

Last edited by rcerex; 11-25-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: forgot to add link.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Never knew that existed
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 AM
Teching In

Lowprofile said:
"On a side note, it appears that some of you hate the state and can't wait to get out... starting to scare me lol. I am disappointed that I can't bring my guns (srsly 10 bullets? time to buy a 1911 .45 cal) and potentially my car, but the state is beautiful with lots to do. Is it that bad once you get past the overpopulation and the tree huggers?[/QUOTE]

Actually as you migrate closer to the foothill and mountain areas of California, the demographic does change; more pro gun and a Republican stance. In my County it wasn't too hard to get a CCW. In Fresno County, I think the shriff has a big push for CCWs too.

California also has a law that the gun must pass the drop test for that year, i.e. if a Springfield 1911 passed the test in 2010 but the 2011 model wasn't submitted, then that year would be illegal even though it has a capacity under 10 rounds. The Ars out there have hinged magazines too,lol.

Last edited by rcerex; 11-25-2013 at 01:15 AM. Reason: credit quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 AM

I've heard about those smog exemptions but only thought they were up in the sierras or the middle of nowhere
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 AM
Teching In

These are pretty much in the middle of nowhere,lol. When I worked in Merced, I lived in Mariposa which was about a 45 min commute each way for me. The fresh air and lack of gang activity made it worthwhile for me.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rcerex
These are pretty much in the middle of nowhere,lol. When I worked in Merced, I lived in Mariposa which was about a 45 min commute each way for me. The fresh air and lack of gang activity made it worthwhile for me.
Even if we were to smog it at one of those smog exempt spots if I were to be pulled over for any reason and cop wants to see my hood wouldn't I still get in trouble(long tube headers)
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Desert Center, parts of Riverside County are smog exempt only when selling the vehicle.

The issue isn't in the smogging or not, it is the insanely stupid ticket they can get you for no smog equipment. Even in those counties if CHP pulls you over you can be reffed.

Lowprofile, yeah it was nuts, it was a mexican/black border area.. Apparently the Pasadena latin Kings wanted control over the neighborhood, but some other group didn't like that. My friends and I paid $1800 a month for the 3 bed house and were the only white people in the neighborhood we kind of laughed because we really stuck out.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Desert Center, parts of Riverside County are smog exempt only when selling the vehicle.

The issue isn't in the smogging or not, it is the insanely stupid ticket they can get you for no smog equipment. Even in those counties if CHP pulls you over you can be reffed.

Lowprofile, yeah it was nuts, it was a mexican/black border area.. Apparently the Pasadena latin Kings wanted control over the neighborhood, but some other group didn't like that. My friends and I paid $1800 a month for the 3 bed house and were the only white people in the neighborhood we kind of laughed because we really stuck out.
What started out with us was a rival gang member moved into the neighborhood so anytime he was out without his wife/kids he would get shot at til he moved out that same month
Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lowprofile714
What started out with us was a rival gang member moved into the neighborhood so anytime he was out without his wife/kids he would get shot at til he moved out that same month
Well good at least they are starting to not shoot at the family....
Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Keep it registered in Texas
Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

If you can, go to the east side of Pasadena. I don't really know what renting prices look like. I just know that if you get west of Lake Avenue and North of the 210, youre looking at the worse neighborhoods. The east part is typically much nicer, but comes with the price tag for sure.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Teching In

I can help pm me.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you can, go to the east side of Pasadena. I don't really know what renting prices look like. I just know that if you get west of Lake Avenue and North of the 210, youre looking at the worse neighborhoods. The east part is typically much nicer, but comes with the price tag for sure.
Yeah I was off Marengo and Orange Grove, some of the guys were cool and if you were their friend then they had your back.

I don't miss the neighborhood though
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

I moved to Fresno, CA from Austin, TX for a great job opportunity earlier this year, so I know how you are feeling. The state has a lot of rules/regulations that are back-asswards compared to Texas. I did find a friendly smog guy in my area, but that is most likely too far for you to drive. I plan to work here for about 5 years to get some good experience and move back to Austin where things make sense again.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Teching In

There's a lot of good information in here guys, I really appreciate all the help! What kind of fine/ ticket are we talking about if I were to get the car to pass smog and then subsequently pulled over by CHP? Is it a fix it ticket or a straight up fine?

I always felt like those types of laws were targeting honads with a fart can exhaust or the whistle tip exhausts. Have you guys been bothered in American muscle cars? The three times I've been pulled over here in Dallas has been because the officer wants to see the car up close. They usually just give a made up warning or tell me to slow down.

Quick Reply: [CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)