Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

[CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)

Hi Guys,

I'm moving out to the Pasadena, CA area in the spring for a new job opportunity. I love California, but their politics and regulations can be a little... well you know...

Anyways, I did a few searches and it looks like my 2007 Corvette C6 won't pass some of the CARB requirements in most counties during the inspection. I've got:
- LG G5X3 CAM
- MTI Intake
- Headers, High Flow Cats and Exhaust

I just picked this car up a few months ago and would prefer not to sell it or remove the parts. What other options do I have?

I know some of you guys have found ways to own a modified LSX's out there.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its mainly just replace witb stock parts or carb legal parts. That or a smog shop that will hook you up. I dont know of any though.

Last edited by -Op-; 11-18-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly all these reasons are the sames one my wife and I are trying to gtfo of here. I was looking to move to tx, or tn.

Your only option is to find a "friendly" smog guy that will handle state registration transfers, most likely will be a Star smog person. Maybe if someone knows of one they might help a guy out.

I hope this is one damn amazing job opportunity, from the people I know who have moved from tx or any logical thinking state, they hate it here and are trying to move back.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Your best bet it is to sell the car and buy something pre 1975 so you don't have to deal with smog. Either that or go with a much smaller cam, and a CARB legal forced induction system.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by -Op-
Its mainly just replace witb stock parts or carb legal parts. That or a smog shop that will hook you up. I dont know of any though.
The air filter is easy to replace, but it would cost a pretty penny to replace the headers, CATs and exhaust... espescially considering I don't have the stock exhaust pieces.

Originally Posted by LS1Adam84
Honestly all these reasons are the sames one my wife and I are trying to gtfo of here. I was looking to move to tx, or tn.

Your only option is to find a "friendly" smog guy that will handle state registration transfers, most likely will be a Star smog person. Maybe if someone knows of one they might help a guy out.

I hope this is one damn amazing job opportunity, from the people I know who have moved from tx or any logical thinking state, they hate it here and are trying to move back.
I don't blame you man. I LOVE Dallas. It's a booming economy, the government isn't screwing things up one regulation at a time, and the city is beautiful. We get about 6-7 months of 70º weather, but the summers suck for a couple months. I highly recommend Texas!

I'm only moving to CA for this job, otherwise it wouldn't even be on my radar. It's a start-up that will get me out of the corporate environment and into a new industry and career with plenty of room for growth.

Originally Posted by HellaciousA
Your best bet it is to sell the car and buy something pre 1975 so you don't have to deal with smog. Either that or go with a much smaller cam, and a CARB legal forced induction system.
That's what I was worried about. Maybe I just sell the corvette and get a beater truck for now... The downside is that I lose about $2k on taxes and $1.5k in interest...

Originally Posted by MarineSS
Does the car have Texas plates?
Yes, it still has Texas plates. One idea was to keep the Texas plates on as long as possible and claim Temporary residence for ~6 months. That would at least allow me to enjoy the car for an additional 6 months, but I'm worried the cops will hassle someone with Texas plates. Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn man, I wish you the best of luck lol. If I find another smog guy I will let you know. If we don't move by the time I need to register my car I am putting it as non op until we move lol.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a few cams that I recommend you look at that'll easily pass smog with a good tune.
http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...r-ls2-engines/
http://rpmspeed.com/product_info.php...ts_id=23446253
http://rpmspeed.com/product_info.php...ts_id=23445199

PM sent.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

Sell the car man. Unless you know someone, you are going to fail with that car.

I only say this due to the cost of installing and removing all new parts..... IMO----Not worth it
Old 11-20-2013, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

theres smog guys out there plus i think you can go 6 months before they really get on your case about getting CA plates 6 months is plenty to find some one
Old 11-20-2013, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went 2 years with texas plates in california. And this was with a california driver's license the whole time. I know it's not legal and all but if you don't do anything stupid, you will likely not get pulled over and won't get bothered/questioned.

I agree with everybody here that you just have to find someone to help you pass, I used to drive a 2001 SS with LT headers and a G5X2 cam for a couple of years(switched to a Futral F13 after) in California streets. Got pulled over a couple of times in the SS and just turned it off as soon as I came to a stop to avoid getting hassled by cops and having to pop the hood.
Old 11-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Default smog for your Vette

You're in luck. I know someone in Longbeach that will pass smog for you.
It will cost $350 though but its guarantee or you don't pay. He won't take anyone new so you have to go through me.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Teching In

I like turtles but only those 150-200$ not cheap ones

Better now bluz28?

Last edited by Lowprofile714; 11-21-2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Turtles!
Old 11-21-2013, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

You guys( tmac Lowprofile714) need to use a little discretion on what you post, keep sensitive stuff to PM's .
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
You guys( tmac Lowprofile714) need to use a little discretion on what you post, keep sensitive stuff to PM's .
I didn't list any place or even city for that matter hope you like the edit though
Old 11-21-2013, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Never, under estimate the crazy tree huggers in California..
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Lol yea, I want to move out of the state, can't do anything to my car without it being illegal haha, wife wants to finish her school first before we finally say good bye
Old 11-21-2013, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Truer words have never been spoken or typed for that matter.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I use to have a smog guy that didn't care what mods you had so long as you had functional cats and the car blew clean during the smog test. You could possibly pass if you lean out your tune, have the cats as hot as possible right before the test. I even threw a whole bottle of liquor (highest proof alcohol you can find) in with a quarter tank of gas to help the car burn cleaner.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the posts guys! Lots of information in here and it sounds like I have a few options. I'm thinking the smog guy sounds like my favorite. If anyone else knows a smog guy, please feel free to shoot me a PM!

On a side note, it appears that some of you hate the state and can't wait to get out... starting to scare me lol. I am disappointed that I can't bring my guns (srsly 10 bullets? time to buy a 1911 .45 cal) and potentially my car, but the state is beautiful with lots to do. Is it that bad once you get past the overpopulation and the tree huggers?
Old 11-23-2013, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LinxuSx
Thanks for all the posts guys! Lots of information in here and it sounds like I have a few options. I'm thinking the smog guy sounds like my favorite. If anyone else knows a smog guy, please feel free to shoot me a PM!

On a side note, it appears that some of you hate the state and can't wait to get out... starting to scare me lol. I am disappointed that I can't bring my guns (srsly 10 bullets? time to buy a 1911 .45 cal) and potentially my car, but the state is beautiful with lots to do. Is it that bad once you get past the overpopulation and the tree huggers?
No. I live in Pasadena. Its outside of LA by enough miles to somewhat escape the "big city" feeling, but still plenty close to be a short trip. Aside from the strict laws, it really is an awesome state. The weather is AMAZING pretty much all of the time. The people are pretty cool. Most drivers arent any good, but its like that anywhere. Good roads to cruise through the moutains if youre into that.

Quick Reply: [CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)