Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

[CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NOS LS1
Keep it registered in Texas
This seems the easiest route. I think I'll renew my registration and inspection right before I move and try this route for as long as possible. Might be able to give me at least a year and claim temporary residency.

Originally Posted by Lockdown99ss
I moved to Fresno, CA from Austin, TX for a great job opportunity earlier this year, so I know how you are feeling. The state has a lot of rules/regulations that are back-asswards compared to Texas. I did find a friendly smog guy in my area, but that is most likely too far for you to drive. I plan to work here for about 5 years to get some good experience and move back to Austin where things make sense again.
This sounds similar to my plans. It's an opportunity with a small start up that I can't pass up. It will get me out of the corporate world and corporate finance. Austin is one of my favorite cities. I could see myself living there down the road
Old 12-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Teching In

I guess the good news about all this is that its saving me from spending money on my car. I almost picked up a FAST 102 intake that my local shop had sitting around... but then I remember that's just 1 more part to deal with if I move.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LinxuSx
I guess the good news about all this is that its saving me from spending money on my car. I almost picked up a FAST 102 intake that my local shop had sitting around... but then I remember that's just 1 more part to deal with if I move.
keep the car reg in texas keep your insurance in Texas also if you have any contact with a LEO your response is "I am here on business my home of record is texas" i have technically lived in cali my whole life how ever i have NV plates and never gotten bothered about my plates. so far
Old 12-14-2013, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LinxuSx
FYI, the FAST 102 intake does have a CARB EO number( D-279-8), so it's smog legal here in CA. The only issue with that is you'll need to use an adaptor (available from FAST) to use either a smaller factory TB or aftermarket TB with a CARB EO #(if you can find one)..

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 12-14-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
FYI, the FAST 102 intake does have a CARB EO number( D-279-8), so it's smog legal here in CA. The only issue with that is you'll need to use an adaptor (available from FAST) to use either a smaller factory TB or aftermarket TB with a CARB EO #(if you can find one)..
Interesting! I did a quick google search and looks like you sir are correct.

http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/de...eo/D-279-7.pdf

Since I have an LS2, the FAST 102 works with my stock TB. Are you saying that the combination of the stock TB and the FAST 102 are not legal?
Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I think he was just saying that you would need to have an adapter to use your factory tb, but since your tb matches up to the 102 already that issue wouldnt apply to you.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by -Op-
No, I think he was just saying that you would need to have an adapter to use your factory tb, but since your tb matches up to the 102 already that issue wouldnt apply to you.
Correct!
The adapter applies to vehicles that came with 78mmTB, not the 90mmTB.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is really good to know though, putting a FAST102 on the car would be an awesome mod for my 01 WS6
Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Try to keep your car registered in Texas at a family members texas address even if you move to Calif.

Any of The Police in every town or City including The California Highway Patrol...Have the Power to send your Car to a State Smog Inspection center. If they inspect your car & the car does not have ALL of the factory smog equipment... You will not be able to Register your car with the Ca. DMV. Did any of the guys on this website tell you it can be expensive to bring a non Calif. car into this state ? Special DMV Fees apply.

Smog Laws are a Nightmare here in the state of Cali.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Alright guys, I'm moving to CA in the middle of April, so bumping this thread back up.

I'm going to get the inspection done right before I move so I can keep the Corvette registered in TX for at least a year. Do you think a black Texas license plate "VEGAS" will scream pull me over?

As a back up plan, I'll put some stock LS2 manifolds and cats on and see how that goes. And then absolute worst case scenario I'll install a CARB Legal CAM.

Do you guys know any reputable shops that can tune in the LA area? I've read some good things about Cunningham Motorsports (CMS).
Old 03-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Launching!

CMS is the place to go how ever be ready for a at least a month wait they are packed also just drive cool 99% and you should not be bothered from your texas plates

Quick Reply: [CA] - Moving from TX to CA. Advice on car registration? (CAM, Headers etc)