Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

F-Bodies & Vettes Are Getting Stolen Left & Right...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just happened across this thread....sorry to hear of the bad news down south.

As a suggestion, consider the use of a Reed switch installed somewhere in the pcm harness...like maybe on the crank position sensor-to pcm signal wire. You could hide the switch anywhere in the car, and if a magnet is not placed over the switch (that is hidden behind interior plastic somewhere)...no fire. The best part, is that even if the PCM is switched out...no fire.

Just a thought, as I'm considering this mod on a couple of my cars.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always unplug stuff under the hood if I'm parked in a unsure area. I can do it I'm a minute and as long as you don't pull the plug all the way out it'll take em a bit to figure out. Otherwise not much is going to stop a tow truck.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Go to autozone, buy a arming switch and some 18 awg wire...

Mount the switch somewhere top secret, cut the fuel pump power wire under the rear end and run the 18awg from it up through the trunk area (drill small hole through the rubber grommet ) and to the switch, then back to the pump wire..

Can't go anywhere without fuel lol

Crazy we gotta think of stuff like this..
Old 02-06-2014, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Haha I'm thinking about getting a arming switch & hiding it somewhere. Already have one good spot that pretty stealth & I'm sure thiefs wouldn't know to look there.

I'm thinking about getting this? Any thoughts..
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/i...&product_id=55

Last edited by DoggyB22; 02-06-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by salemetro

As a suggestion, consider the use of a Reed switch installed somewhere in the pcm harness...like maybe on the crank position sensor-to pcm signal wire. You could hide the switch anywhere in the car, and if a magnet is not placed over the switch (that is hidden behind interior plastic somewhere)...no fire. The best part, is that even if the PCM is switched out...no fire.

I had a killswitch but it only killed the starter, guess they figured it out and just jumped the starter wire under the hood straight to the battery. It was crazy, I found the wire they used to start it on the ground next to it, plugged it up and the car fired right up after I plugged the vats back up. Ill def be doing something like what you mentioned but until then its under lock and key in doors, with a pit bull outside and people who are always carrying a firearm just feet away. This whole ordeal has pushed me to speed up my plans to buy a house with a garage which im in the process of purchasing now. Cant control what the thieves do, you can only do your part to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Launching!

Damn! nice research, def looks like the guy.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

This might seem Mickey Mouse But I invested in this unit with the input from someone on here. I have 3 Trans Am's with a 2 car garage . I live in a low crime area. I have had this unit for about 3 months now & I love it. You can use up to 8 sensors with this. I have 1 of the sensors in the Trans Am that sits outside under cover. The alarm will not go off unless someone breaks the infrared beam(Alarm won't go off thru windows). Someone has to open the door for the alarm to go off, The sensor flashes green & makes no noise, The unit in the house will beep letting you know that someone is ******* with your car. Put 2 sensors in there so it can detect either door being opened(You can put them on the dash or in the back seats, Wherever you want, they have 180 degree detection)..Cheap Insurance. The sensors run off of 4 AA batteries. I have one sensor at the garage door & like 3 in the garage in case they want to try to steal those.

Chamberlain CWA2000 Wireless Motion Alert System (Black) - Amazon.com Chamberlain CWA2000 Wireless Motion Alert System (Black) - Amazon.com
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by salemetro

I have an LS powered C4 with a hidden switch. The switch cuts power to the PCM. I need to do the same to the Goat.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I found the solution... Although Id feel kind of guilty if my alarm when off my accident when I wasn't near it lol

Quick Reply: F-Bodies & Vettes Are Getting Stolen Left & Right...